Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi everyone, i'm Jen, I have 2 house rabbits (Hobbes and Indy) and 6 fancy goldfish (2 adults and 4 home grown babies).

Our friend has chickens and has offered us 2 that have slowed their laying, I'm not 100% decided on whether we will have them but am looking into the whole matter, although we have permission from our Land Lord.

I relocated from the north east to leicestershire in Feb this year so i am still settling into the area. Looking to find some likeminded friends on the web or in 'real life' :)

Hi

Just saying hello. I have 3 baby freesians fowls who are just settling into a new life with me in my garden. They are great fun and I have just been brave enough to let them out in the gardens where they are having great fun. Or at least they were until the rain came today and they dont seem to like it! They dont want to come out they just pop their heads out and then back in the Omlet they go. Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour? I am a first time chicken mum and I am not really sure whether or not they like the rain!

Be nice to chat

Denise

Morning! Thanks for the advice! They seem happy this morning (its not raining). They are doing a marathon around the garden, they are only 11 weeks old and very skittish. They do come when they are called now but only if i have a handful of mealworms and im trying not to spoil them. - Its very hard!

I dont want to go to work these days its much more fun in my garden.

Have a great day!

Hi all,

Yesterday I became the proud new owner of three 20 week old POL hens from Golden Valley Poultry. They are: 20 week old Rhode Island Red hybrid Buffy; Speckledy Ripley; and Maran hybrid Vala. These are my first hens so it is great to have this forum as backup.

I am very proud to say that this morning I have my first egg from Ripley. She is clearly the most mature as her comb is better developed so I thought she might be ready to lay, but the other two are a couple of weeks off I think. The egg is a bit on the small side so I'll have to see if it has a yolk or not.

I also have a small tabby cat called Ruby who is currently very confused about these feathered things that look a bit like pigeons, but who stand up to her. Very funny to watch.

Hi i am new to this forum and I love it I got my !goyellow! And 2 bantams about 3 or 4 weeks ago and then joined this forum site and already have had lots of good advise from members here.

Have had no eggs yet but the chikens are just sooo lovely.

They were out today and i was in the house looking out the window when to my horror saw a great big fox in next door garden and nearly had a heart attack, I ran downstairs and out the back door to save my little precious chicks I will not ever leave them alone when theyre out.

Beware of the big bad fox please.

Thank you

Edited by Guest

Hi there, I'm Eloise thistle 3, I have four lovely chickens. I had three girlies lettie, who sadly died on Sunday last, Hilda and aggy. My two remaining girls are doing really well, I have just introduced two new little chickens pol, dotty named by my seven year old daughter and pogo by my four year old son! It's been a couple of days and things arent too horrific the odd peck here and there, this is the first time I have introduced new birds, does anyone know roughly when they start getting on as a flock rather than two hiding and two strutting their stuff?

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Karin and new to chicken keeping. Had my girls for 5 weeks now, been a little rocky start but think its heading in the right direction.

Endless information and help on here, looking forward chatting to you all.

All the best Karin

Hi.The Winter is really here and i am worried for my chickens as we may be away for three weeks over the Xmas period and still have no one to look after them. :anxious: I am thinking about leaving them in their Eglu with plenty of food but the worry is the water ,of course i am gonna ask my neighbour to do it (check the water) but will they be worm enough if the door of the Eglu is not shut at night? Can anyone advise please?

I have two chickens Pekin Bantams Sheela and Angie are their names.

Hello Everyone! I am new here, and would like to introduce myself… I like to read all the helpful info that is available on this forum, and would like to learn as much as I can about chickens.

I am fairly new to keeping backyard chickens, and frankly I think of them as very entertaining pets, and I just love them! Currently I have 3 bantam hens (Serama, Maran, Cochin) and am thinking of getting a few more… Originally I started out with 5 chicks but 2 turned out to be roosters (Polish, Maran). :( I could not keep the boys (too loud for the neighborhood) and now they live on a friend's farm. BTW, my friend raises chickens, so I know they are well taken care of. :)

I've spend months on researching the Eglu Cube, and decided it was the right choice for me since I live in 'suburbia', so as of last month I am a proud owner of the Green Eglu Cube with a 3M Run. And couldn't be happier with it, to me it's worth every penny. ;)

Winter is finally here, and it's been snowing a bit for the past few days, temps around 30F, but the hens seem to not mind it, (I have a cover over the run) although I worry about them being warm enough in the Eglu at night, even-though my friend keeps reassuring me that they will be fine. I hope so. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a Happy New Year 2013!

Hello and Happy New Year all Omleteers I am new to this wonderful site but not new to chickens as my Wife and I have been chicken fanciers or holders for sometime now .We moved away from city life to a bustling Market Town surrounded by beautiful countryside and this cumulated in us being immersed in all things countryside ,hence our love of chickens and fresh eggs which taste and look so much better than any store can provide from our two hens Victoria and Florence.

We hope to expand on our two this year(chickens that is) it would certainly keep our children happy they love em.We all look forward to productive forum chat and helpful hints and tips.

thanks

Stephen ,Katie and two children.

Hi I am also nor new to chickens, but am new to this site.

We have 2 chickens, no idea of breeds, one white super friendly, one black terrified of people. Both beautiful and wouldn't be without them!

Love seeing the interaction between the chooks and the dog and cats, who all seem rather scared of the hens!

Looking forward to checking out the board properly...

Hi everyone,

I have finally persuaded my wife that she would love some chickens for the garden, it has taken nearly 4 years!.

I now have the eglu all ready and waiting for the weather to improve so I can hatch some dutch bantams.

Cheers