Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi Everyone

I got my first 3 chickens last Thursday. Having wanted an Eglu and chickens for years I finally took the plunge a month ago and placed my order. I love them. They are my Spice Girls - Ginger, Scary and Posh! I'm hoping Posh isn't too posh to push though!

I love the Eglu - its simply brilliant. I have cleaned it out twice now and it is sooooooo easy. So much easier than the 2 guinea pig hutches we have. I'd love to have enough spare cash to get a piggy one!

My Omlet delivery man said he thought that my girls were probably about a month away from laying but I think Ginger and Scary will be earlier than Posh as she is much smaller and has hardly any wattle etc.

We have a collection of animals here - 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 guineas, 2 hamsters and now the three chickens. What with the husband and 3 kids there are a lot of legs at our place now!

Anyway just thought i'd say Hi!

Welcome, Sonyacott and Eggstravaganza!

Sonya, take a look at the FAQs about Chickens, there's a topic on Broody Hens there. If you need more advice, you're best posting in the Chickens section, where you'll get some replies.

HI ALL,

My name is Joanne. Im from county tipperary ireland and i am a first time hen owner. Just last sat we got 8 lovely girls. One is laying at the moment but we are so excited to be even getting one egg a day.We have 3 red lehhorns one white 1 silver 2 blackrocks and and one speckled sussex. We made the house and run and hope to be able to leave them roam free an hour every day but at the moment they seem happy in the run anyway i happier with them inside as we live in country near a woods with foxes and the neighbors have dogs too.

Hi, I have four rescue hens from a freerange farm. I have had them since February so a few months, and now that I am not such a newbie to chicken keeping I want to come on here to expand on the basic knowledge that I have. I keep them freerange in my garden, I thought the person that told me they would make my garden look like The Somme meant over time, not the two hours it took my ladies the day after we got them! I do love them though, so am looking forward to learning how to keep them happy.

As a hobby I started a blog a while ago and I want to include the chickens in that to spread the love for them. I am hoping that I can try and test idea's that I find on here, and in turn have very happy hens and share the ideas with my folowers. If you are interested in blogging my address is http://motheronmotherearth.blogspot.com

Hi

I am new to the site so thought I should introduce myself.

I am also pretty new to chicken although learning fast! I started in November 2010 with Penny (Rhode Island Red), Tulula (Sussex) and Bexley and Annie (both Pekins). We then bought Olive (Black Rock) and sat for a friends Pekins (Isabella and Lily) who never went home because they settled in so well.

Lily recently went broodie on us (initially thought she was ill but then it clicked!) so we bought some ebay eggs - two have now hatched and we have Wanton and Noodle (Lavender/Millefleur Pekins). They are three weeks old and going strong.

Annie is now broody and is sitting on six more Pekin eggs! (It may be that we're getting carried away!!!)

Anyway, that's our story so far. I love chickens and am so glad we took the plunge.

Look forward to getting to know everyone and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

P.s - thanks to craftyhunnypie for directing me to the site.

Emma xx

Thanks Poppy

Chicks are great, although it looks as if you already have your hands pretty full! Luckily we have friends close by who also have chickens - they will be taking some off our hands when they are old enough (if I can bring myself to part with them!)

x

Hello!

I'm Lauren, the boyfriend and I have just come into possession of a pink eglu, and have ordered our first two chickens! so excited, have been reading the forums like crazy getting ready for when the girlies arrive. Nice to meet you all :)

Hi to all!

I'm Diane, I live with my husband Alan, and boys Ashley and Carl. I've wanted chickens for a while so went to the Omlet shop two weekends ago at Wardington just to "have a look". .......and came away with an Eglu Go, plus two chickens - now named Scramble and Poppy.

And today we had our first egg! So proud (sad, I know).

img3141be.jpg

Hello I am new to this site, I am thinking of buying an Omlet Cube which is why I joined this forum.

I have had 5 hybrids since late September and am now addicted to chickens. Looking at maybe getting another 3 hens in a couple of years (or less).

Hi - a belated introduction as we have had our Eglu Go for two weeks now plus the two chickens, Gingernut Ranger - Amelia (or Mimi) for short and Pepperpot - Gwen. For Torchwood and Doctor Who fans you'll get the names (and it was nothing to do with me!).

They have been a delight and a bit of a learning curve for me.

Anyway, we live in Godalming in leafy Surrey. My eldest daughter who is back from uni and now working has been tgheh driving force behind the chicken thing! Other members of our menagerie are three cats and a miniature Labradoodle, Milo. Milo and Ianto the adventurous cat have been introduced to the chickens with no aggression so I am so pleased about that. The other two cats rarely venture in the back garden so the chickens won't be bothered by them. We do have a resident fox though who is never far from my mind! Milo has been going under the netting and stealing any food that he deems worthy of snaffling. The chickens are just not bothered.

I'm a proud mum today as I came back from a dog walk to find not one but two eggs laid carefully in the cage run and thankfully untouched. Our very first - I was so surprised to find them lay at the same time ..but having said that they are like Tweedledum and Tweedledee - they copy each other in every aspect.

IMG_6086.jpg

Sue

IMG_6086.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mrs B & jasperaliceuk :D

Wow what a coincidence for them to both start laying on the same day! Just got to hope they learn how to use the nest box; will be easier than crawling though the run :lol:

Hello everyone new, haven't been on this bit for ages so sorry for not saying hi :oops:

Hope you're all enjoying your hens and welcome on here. If you're new to actual chicken keeping this place is fab - someone on here will ALWAYS know the answer to whatever question - even if it's nothing whatsoever to do with chooks! :lol: And hellooooo Jasperaliceuk, I'm just up the road from you :dance:

BeckyBoo

Hi to all,

I have registered today on the forum and would love to introduce myself. I live in Essex with my husband and son and we have 4 beautiful girls who are ex battery hens; Maisy Brown, Tiny, Totty and Savage. Savage has been a labour of love as she came to us in the most appalling state, hugely anti-social and highly aggressive. We knew that she needed total TLC and that is what she has had and yippee, we are proud to see her walking calmly with her girls as if she has been friends all her life, she has made it and come through and we are now looking to buy an Omlet cube for them and I have found this wonderful site and am overjoyed at the amount of wonderful hen lovers that I have read about this evening. I didn't know that there were so many of us!

I welcome any enquiry with regards to hen sitting, as I have just registered on the hen sitting list and can confirm that any hens that come to stay would be in total hen happiness here in our lovely home in the village of Ingatestone, Essex. Girls will have to come with their respective houses, i.e. Cubes etc. so please take this into account if you are considering hen sitting for them.

Looking forward to more 'Nesting Box' news!

Cheers to all,

Melody

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any people about on here that keep chickens in Newark? I am new to keeping them and have recently got 3 girls and any advice and tips would be most useful!

I have got a permanent run around the coop and Maggie, Betty and Doreen have only been with me 6 days and already I am wondering how best to keep the poo and mash debris on the floor down?!! It's built on grass so any tips would be most useful! Thanks folks x

Hey! I'm a newbie here on Omlet!

I've just finished building my chicken house and am just finishing the enclosure, making sure that it is dog, cat and most of all fox proof!!

I'm so excited to be getting my chickens in the next few weeks.

Many thanks for the helpful posts/discussions that are on this site that have got me started on being a good hen keeper!

LittleClucker92 :)