Cinnamon

No more Aubiose :-(

Great, thanks Hazel... not 100% sure what it means hehe, but it sounds like there is a future for the product once they get a new contract. Until then I'll just carry on scrabbling around for it!

Really kind of you to contact them and find out.

skye x

I'm using rapport at the moment as my supplier can't get hemcore, I have to say I quite like the stuff so far. :D

We've been using Rapport for awhile too. We still had some Aubiose left when we swapped over to the Rapport and we found the Rapport to be softer and as it's cheaper we have stuck with it :)

Went to Rokers Animal Feeds in Guildford area over the weekend, and they had loads of Aubiose. Also get my Garvo from there, so don't mind making the trip out there. But I see they do all sorts there, including Rapport (almost £3 cheaper than the Aubiose), so might make the change at some stage...

I did actually :D I took a handful of Rapport and had a rub, and still went for the Aubiose, even though it was more expensive. I don't know, I just wasn't that impressed with it, but I suppose if Aubiose become unavailable, I will have to give it a go. Not sure about the 'Snowflake' stuff - looks messy to me!

I haven't been able to get hold of Aubiose since August- luckily I had a couple of bales to tide me over.

My local 'Cornwall Farmers' have said that Aubiose won't deliver to Cornwall anymore :(

They've suggested that I try 'Equisorb'. They tell me that it's almost identical to Aubiose but made out of flax instead. Anybody tried it? :think:

I use Hemcore and find it to be excellent - soft enough, absorbent enough and with good structure so you can leave it in their run for up to 10 weeks. It is also heavy enough that it doesn't blow about. There was a problem with supply of this a while back and I switched to Bliss (which is rape straw). Bliss is slightly cheaper (about £6.50 a 20kg bale as opposed to about £9 for hemcore) but I don't find it so absorbent, and it is also a bit harsher than Hemcore, so I'm sticking with the latter unless I can't get it, particularly for the nest boxes.

I would have liked to try Aubiose but never managed to find it in stock anywhere!

I use Hemcore and find it to be excellent - soft enough, absorbent enough and with good structure so you can leave it in their run for up to 10 weeks. It is also heavy enough that it doesn't blow about. There was a problem with supply of this a while back and I switched to Bliss (which is rape straw). Bliss is slightly cheaper (about £6.50 a 20kg bale as opposed to about £9 for hemcore) but I don't find it so absorbent, and it is also a bit harsher than Hemcore, so I'm sticking with the latter unless I can't get it, particularly for the nest boxes.

I would have liked to try Aubiose but never managed to find it in stock anywhere!

I'm with you Docsquid. Hemcore seems to work for us (humans and chooks!), and happy with it. The extra citronella in the Summer I am sure also helps make a difference with Flies. TBH though, I've also not seen anything else, so don't have anything to compare it to, but not tried that hard as happy with the Hemcore.

Why bother Ladies?

I never used the stuff never intended to. I read somewhere here on the forum that Aubiose tended to stick to hens feet/nails and when people tried to clean it they pulled the nails off with it! Ouch!!!!! :vom:

I use good all straw, BRITISH!!!!!!! Why import some rubish from abroad especially in this economic climate!

My girls are happy with the straw, they are healthy and even in this depth of winter still lay an egg each daily! :dance:

Kind regards,

Millwheel Tack Shop in Wokingham has Aubiose. I got 3 bales yesterday (we're going to attempt to clean out the WIR tomorrow - wish us luck!!). They do run out periodically so it's worth giving them a ring first. They are always happy to call you back and will put some aside for you or tell you when it's coming in and put some aside then. They also stock Hemcore and many other types of bedding.

They also stock the ex-batt feed range (pellets and crumb), organic feed, various other chicken feeds, mixed corn, grit, Stalosan F and lots of other chickeny things. I don't know if they do Garvo but I bet they would order it in if they didn't.

They are just off the A329 (turning for Binfield) and are very very friendly and a pleasure to deal with.

I use good all straw, BRITISH!!!!!!! Why import some rubish from abroad especially in this economic climate!

Straw has its drawbacks,I am afraid.

Its not very absorbent,so can get claggy quickly,& therefore cold in this weather.

Also,as its hollow,it can harbour mites & other nasties.

I am glad your hens are happy,but I am sure I am not the only one to say that once you have tried Aubiose,there is no going back :lol: