Ain't Nobody Here

Hens turn into cockerels!

:shock: I've just logged on to ask why my 3.5 year old chicken has started crowing as of 5.10am this morning. She has grown big spurs, with claws on the end, not just 'bumps' on the back of her leg too. She is still laying though, albeit occasionally as you'd expect from a three year old chook.

I've no idea what I'll do if it carries on as the run is close to the house and only metres from our neighbour's bedroom window. :(

I love our Bella too :(

skye x

This is gradually happening to my only remaining original Pepperpot, Mother, she has a small spur on one leg and she has made strangulated crowing noises a few times, she has laid the odd soft shelled egg this season, but is largely retired, she is 4 and 1/2 and in beautiful condition.

i have to admit that i have a seriously confused Dorking. She is female colouring but has wacking great spurs on her legs, they are so big i have to keep checking her fifth toe becuase they rub. She displays cockrell like behaviour around the others, has never crouched in her life, but has decided to go broody. i just wish she'd make her mind up.

:shock: I've just logged on to ask why my 3.5 year old chicken has started crowing as of 5.10am this morning.

Mine have been geting up at this time too this week, they crow aswell but i think this is becuase they are used to me getting up and letting them out to roam around the garden. if i dont let them out they keep crowing then wake the neighbours up. none of mine are males all hens. :D

Just noticed this on my mums 'hen' Fizz.

After we raced to the top of the garden because Fizz had caught a mouse and everyone else was chasing her for her 'precious' I noticed she had developed spurs!

She's always had large head gear but lately it's been getting more pronounced and she hasn't laid for about a week. The spurs aren't fully cockerel sized yet or pointy so not sure if they'll reach that far but definitely pronounced. Fingers crossed she doesn't crow as i don't think the neighbours would appreciate that. Poor confused thing. :roll:

At least her/his name could still apply to a boy or a girl.

One of my Pepperpots became broody and after getting hold of fertilised eggs is now mum to 5 chicks, and the other one has a huge comb and wattles although no spurs or crowing, and she still crouches and lays regularly...so far! :lol:

Moomin (rip) decided that laying wasn't her thing in year 2, not that you could call her prolific to start with, she grew spurs and her red bits got a bit wobblier. She was no.4 in the pecking order. She'd still go and sit in the nestbox for a bit each day, I think that was to fool me into thinking she wasn't a freeloader, the egg colours gave her away though. Never crowed. Always sported a skiddy down her fluff.