Chicken shack

I need advice on buying a new kitchen please

I moved to our new home in Norfolk in August and the kitchen is horrid. I am cooking on one of those small work top ovens and have to stand on a step to see what I am cooking. :lol: I had a company from Norwich who quoted me £14,000 for units a drinks fridge and oven. (I have the other appliances) Another £2,000 to fit it. I need help, we don't have that sort of money and I am not keen on the chain store kitchens. :roll: I have already compromised on the bathroom by keeping the PINK suit. :roll: I have gone retro :lol: The trouble is I have champagne taste and only have beer money :lol: I live near the Suffolk boarder. HELP :pray:

If you're really strapped for cash, then it's worth trying Freecycle - there may be someone who's ripping out a kitchen and you might be able to salvage it? or eBay - the problem there is getting the right number of units for your kitchen. However, I wouldn't write off the 'chain' kitchens - I had an Ikea kitchen at my last house and it was very good quality.

Could you buy cheaper units, and more expensive doors, or cheap doors and customise them by painting them, or something like that? There's always a way to do these things; it's worth shopping around, that sounds a very expensive quote.

I would also suggest you think again about the chain store kitchens. We bought B&Q units for our laundry room a few years ago and they still look like new :) Admittedly it doesn't get the wear and tear the kitchen does but I've been very impressed.

Be careful selecting a kitchen company and do lots of research as there's some real horror stories out there.

I would also get lots of friends to look over your design and comment. One of my friends had recently had her kitchen redone and she was very useful.

Hi,

Have you looked at Howdens Joinery?, we have one here, they sell to trade only, but you can go have a look and get the kitchen designed for free, then if you find a fitter who Howdens will recommend for you, they can install it. Howdens Kitchens come ready assembled by the joinery so it's much easier for the fitters and they won't charge you as much. They have some really great ranges and I am sure they have an online brochure, We had a Howdens kitchen for our utility room and it's so sturdy and solid.

Michelle :)

We used Howdens (via our local joiner) to change all our interior doors - they are fantastic quality and look fabulous 8) .

Never bought a new kitchen but we did change our unit doors rather than replacing the whole unit - we got mid range ones which are now looking a little shabby (although it was about 20 years ago!) so I'd say get the best quality you can afford.

We bought our kitchen from Wickes almost six years ago. They were going to charge almost £2000 to fit it :shock: We employed a local man to fit the kitchen and bathroom for £1000 8) He did all the tiling too :D Poor chap had a race against time to finish, I was nine months pregnant with my youngest daughter and planning a home birth, the birthing pool was to go in the space occupied in the living room by the contents of our kitchen :lol: He finished late Saturday night and she arrived two days later :lol:

Gosh that is expensive, my ED has just had a kitchen fitted by a local joiner, Kitchen fitter, he made the units for her and she chose work tops and doors , with integeral fridge, splash backs instead of tiles, ceramic sink with bend thing tap ( which is fab by the way ) and her own appliances she has paid just over £5,000 It is a large kitchen too.

Ask around the neighbours school etc for recommendations, they'll know the local workmen and be able to say who is rubbish too.

Nothing like a home birth to get a man motivated :lol:

He was keen not to be involved :lol: The day we had without water while he did the sink was a worrying one because the taps at the kitchen sink were the only ones we could use to fill the pool. Luckily she was five days late, when her due date passed and the work wasn't finished I was a bit stressed :shock:

I had B&Q do the kitchen at my old flat and it still looks great (I rent the place out now). I'd be really tempted to go back to them, though we've seen a really nice one in Homebase. There's a new company called Wren who seem to have some nice stuff too.

Nothing wrong with chainstore kitchens I reckon - there is plenty of choice and the quality is pretty good. B&Q did me solid wood worktops and they look gorgeous.

A word of caution, I tried to get new doors for my kitchen cupboards a few years ago and the company went bust a few days after taking my deposit. The whole thing felt very much like a scam (I got my deposit back from my credit card company). I'm pretty sure the company involved re-formed shortly after with a similar name (and advertises nationally in the Sunday papers etc)- won't name them here, but will PM anyone who may be concerned.

Thank you all for your help, keep the ideas comming. I nearly had a fire today because I had not turned the ring off on the tiny oven. :oops: Needless to say I have at least decided on the type of cooker and went on line and ordered one. :D It will be here next Wednesday. I have also found a joiner who lives in our village and he makes and/or fits kitchens. He will be comming round tomorrow. Had not thought of John Lewis so will also have a look at what they have. Will keep you posted. :D

Wren kitchins are good (we are presently looking) but was told by a friend whose hubby is a joiner to look at Howdens and there stuff is pretty identical to Wrens so we will look at Wrens then taking what we want , ask the joiner what he can do for us :D can't wait. New huge cooker is the most exciting thing for me lol

We bought our kitchen units from MFI when they were still in business, think that was back in about 1999. We bought the more expensive Shrieber carcasses as they were already assembled and I think we paid about £2,000 for a fair sized kitchen, which was including the sink and taps etc. Have to say have been very pleased with it and it's still in perfect condition :D

I can recommend www.pineland.co.uk . Their kitchens are solid wood all mortice and tenon or dove tail joints. There is no plywood, mdf or chipboard. There are no runners on the drawers they are just a box that goes into the hole in the way cupboards used to be made. They are totally bespoke so you can have any depth, height or width that you like. The downside is that you have to get someone to paint and fit them yourself. You only pay on delivery and their service is fantastic. They are based in Kidderminster but we drove to their showroom/ workshop to view the kitchens ourselves and it was well worth it. Sorry it sounds like I own the company but I'm just a very satisfied customer.

I can recommend www.pineland.co.uk . Their kitchens are solid wood all mortice and tenon or dove tail joints. There is no plywood, mdf or chipboard. There are no runners on the drawers they are just a box that goes into the hole in the way cupboards used to be made. They are totally bespoke so you can have any depth, height or width that you like. The downside is that you have to get someone to paint and fit them yourself. You only pay on delivery and their service is fantastic. They are based in Kidderminster but we drove to their showroom/ workshop to view the kitchens ourselves and it was well worth it. Sorry it sounds like I own the company but I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Hi I have just had a look at their website and the Kitchens look amazing. I see they provide you with a painting guide and DVD. Did you receive this and do you think it was a good enough guide to enable you to paint the kitchen yourself?

We didn't get the DVD but we didn't ask for it either. We did get the instructions which were just recommending the brand of paint to be used and basic instructions. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary more just a brand they recommend as being hard wearing etc. They are a really friendly company & very easy to talk to if you pm me your email address I can email you the brochure with price list they sent me or if you'd rather they will send you a hard copy in the post. Their kitchen design isn't fantastic but they excel in customer service and carpentry/joinery.

We didn't get the DVD but we didn't ask for it either. We did get the instructions which were just recommending the brand of paint to be used and basic instructions. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary more just a brand they recommend as being hard wearing etc. They are a really friendly company & very easy to talk to if you pm me your email address I can email you the brochure with price list they sent me or if you'd rather they will send you a hard copy in the post. Their kitchen design isn't fantastic but they excel in customer service and carpentry/joinery.

Thanks have pm'd you my email address :D

Update :!: I had a carpenter from my village round with a rep from Howdens today. I do hope the quote is more in my price bracket. :pray::pray::pray: Their factory is only about ten miles from me and they said that I can go along and have a look at their display. Thank you everyone I will keep you up to date. :D

Edited by Guest