cliveb

Hens have Stopped Laying

I know that the girls tend to slow down during the winter, but mine have come to a complete stop for the last three weeks. This has never happened before with any of my previous chickens( these girls are 18 months old).

Has anyone got any ideas to encourage laying again, as much as I love their company I have just had to buy eggs for the first time in three years. :?

its the light levels that stop them laying...do you have an outside plug from which you could run a spot light to extend their daylight hours. If you put it on a timer you could give them an extra hour morning and evening? Hybrids do slow down their laying after their first year (or so I read) so it may be a combination of both factors

its the light levels that stop them laying...do you have an outside plug from which you could run a spot light to extend their daylight hours. If you put it on a timer you could give them an extra hour morning and evening? Hybrids do slow down their laying after their first year (or so I read) so it may be a combination of both factors

That's one stage away from battery farming in my mind.

That's one stage away from battery farming in my mind.

I must be a Battery Human then as I turn the lights on morning and evening in the winter :lol:

Personally I do not think 2 hours of artificial light a day will cause the hens any harm or distress. But we all have our own beliefs and welfare standards. Some would say keeping 2-3 hens in an Omlet run is little improvement on battery farming.

As for the laying problem in winter...all mine moulted in September-October and now look plush in their new feathers :clap: My Light Sussex did not stop laying, the other 4 did but this week my Orpington started laying againanf has presented 3 eggs in 5 days :dance:

This is their second winter.

Bit of a dilema for me too.

We have powerful outdoor lighting that turns the rear garden into daylight when turned on at night. I used to put it on in the late afternoon to give our 3 girls another hours daylight thinking that they spend enough time being 'couped up' from 4pm - 7.30am. But then thought that I was 'artificially' keeping them up / awake, so I've abandoned the practice and let nature take its course. Not sure if it does any harm.

It was quite funny though to see them run from their Eglu go when the light came on thinking it was morning already!!

It's much better for their health to have a break from laying and return to the new season healthier - the eggs will be better quality for starters.

I agree although it is disappointing not to get any eggs I feel it is better for them. From my four oldest hybrids the two who laid almost every day both died quite young, the other two are now four and just lay sometimes, so I console myself with the fact that eight chooks and no eggs is doing them good :D:D:D

Chrissie

I agree - the reason that battery hens are worn out very early on is due to the intensive laying, so I'd be inclined to give them a rest for a few weeks.

My gingernut hybrids hatched in the spring are still laying, but the other hens have shut down. I try to get a couple of new pullets each year, natural wastage permitting, so that I get eggs through the winter but there are no guarantees. Last year I only had one week, over Christmas, with no eggs at all, though.

Last year both of mine stopped laying for about 6 weeks from November onwards - but it was freezing and Ebay (Leghorn) moulted. This year Phoebe (Bluebelle) had major moult and Ebay a little one. They both now look splendid but no eggs and I've had to buy some for first time since they started laying (I got them April 2010). I'm not expecting eggs anytime soon, but if one appears that will be a bonus - maybe Christmas Day would be good!

I had to buy eggs the other week in the supermarket, I stood there ages looking in all the boxes trying to decide which ones. Very confusing. Since then I've managed to get some from someone at work. One of the bigguns has started laying in the past couple of days and little Brillo is doing her very best, made pancakes with hers, yummy.

Don't mind too much as they're having their moult.