Lewis

My new Battery Girls...

I helped out in Brackley at the BHWT Northants rehoming day yesterday, nice to see several Omleteers, and bought 5 poorly girls home with me...

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hen+Rehoming+%25285%2529.jpg

2 skinnies:

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hens.jpg

2 baldies, Cam and Justine:

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hen+Rehoming+%25288%2529.jpg

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hen+Rehoming+%252811%2529.jpg

and Tracy Beaker with her twisted beak:

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hen+Rehoming+%252817%2529.jpg

BHWT+Northants+Battery+Hen+Rehoming+%25282%2529.jpg

I was only taking 2 but I fell in love with Tracy 'cos she's so cute. She's not best at eating so have been keeping an eye on her - prefers eating from a higher up coop cup 'cos she can shovel the feed.

They're on growers pellets atm but none of them have eaten particularly much - had some mealworms earlier too which they didn't know what to do with at first!

Well done Lewis, thats chicken maths for you 2 = 5 :lol::lol::lol:

They look in need of your special care. Tracy is lovely, she looks like she will be a real character :D

Agnes from the ones I got from Brackley earlier in the year has a funny eye, I have a soft spot for her even though she never lays an egg.

Thanks for the photo please show us their progress.

Chrissie

Aww poor ol' Tracy :( that can't be nice for her.

Would have loved to rescue some of them, told mum about the rehome and she was tempted but it would have meant buying a cube / bigger chicken house, and can't really justify that now! Well done for saving them :D

Well done. I got my first ever ex batts, 3 of them in October and they are all doing fine and intergrated well with my existing 5 girls and Harvey I bought home by mistake. :lol::lol::lol: I would have liked to have rehomed a few more but I have my hands full at the moment. I am so glad the small cages have now been banned. :D We will have to keep up the rehoming though :!: The enriched caged girls will need homes once there usefullness is over. :(

Tracy is a sweetie and blimey your baldies are really bald. The ones I got yesterday and really well feathered. Wonder why some are and some aren't? Do you know?

I have a real bully, she wouldn't let the others move this morning, had them pinned in the back of the coop. I usually let them sort it out for themselves but had to physically move her so they could actually get to any food or water. I think she will be going in with my two existing girls pretty quickly.

The hens in the enriched cages will still need to be rehomed, as will some barn and free-range hens.

I heard that the extra size they have from battery to enriched is the size of a beer mat (need to double check!), so awareness still needs to be spread so that people buy free range eggs and products containing FR :)

Millie-Annie, these are older hens who've been through a moult - hens in the cages will peck others and the feathers also rub on the cages which can make then bald.

Oh, bless them - and you for giving them such a wonderful home :)

2 of my rescue girls are in a similar state to your baldies. They didn't seem to enjoy ex batt crumb so I'm being liberal with poultry spice with their pellets - but is there anything extra I could be doing to help them to feather up quickly? I don't want them to be picked on by the others when they being supervised FR time.

So glad that so many lucky girls have been helped to freedom :)

Lewis, they are lovely and so lucky to have you. My three baldies from the end of November Brackley rescue are covered in prickles as the new feathers come through so it doesn't take long. They've also stopped compulsive eating every minute of the day and are behaving like normal chickens by scratching and preening - now they have something to preen!

Aaww they're gorgeous! So good to see so many hens coming our to a New Year of freedom and I love Tracey! She's obviously a survivor :D

My "special needs" ex bat Alice has a deformed wing and is a bit lopsided. Miss Independence, she's never made any special friends and is happy with her own company (and mine). My very naked Angel is now nearly fully feathered and just needs a tail - and a volume control when she's talking to me! :lol:

Love Tracey Beaker, brilliant name!

I've got a special needs batty too - Agnes can only use one leg, she holds her shrivelled leg up close to her body and will not put it to the floor (although the vet cannot find any reason for this). I have to keep Agnes netted off from my other girls, they just rugby tackle her given chance, and she can't defend herself. But she is my friendliest and most docile girl and I love her to bits!

They've been in the standalone Cube run for a couple days and in a dog crate in the side passage overnight but they spent their first night outside in the eglu last night and seemed fine this morning :D

They're still on crumb and not eating loads but its all there if they want it and they aren't starving so they must be alright! :lol:

Holly and Heidi, the 2 skinnies, have gone to my Aunts too so they should be fine there :)

Tracy Beaker is a fabulous name!

We picked up another 4 special needs ex-batts from the BHWT rehoming day in Essex last week. One has 'cross-beak' as we call it, but nowhere near as much as your little Tracy, her and her sisters are lucky to have found a new happy home with someone as kind hearted as you.

Hope you can find the time to post up photos of their progress. It always brightens up the day to see photos of lovely hens like these getting stronger and enjoying their new world. :dance: