chickencam

Call The Midwife* Spoiler alert page 3*

Is anyone watching this? I have read all of the books, so I was nervous about how it would be portrayed. The televison series is very well cast especially Miranda Hart as Chummy, she is exactly how I Imagined her. :lol: The series is also capturing the joy and tradgedy of the books which inturn gave a great insight into life at that time in London's East End.

Last night's episode has me in floods of tears as did that section of the book when I read it, we don't realise how lucky we are now and how much our greatly maligned NHS does for us.

I watched it for the first time last night, I've only read the first book and really enjoyed it, so I was quite excited to see they were making a TV series. I thought Miranda Hart was absolutely excellent - that's exactly how I'd pictured that character in my head.

I've been watching this series and I think its the most enjoyable programme I'm watching at the moment. I love Miranda's character, so clumsy and sweet. DD watched with me last night and really enjoyed it too. I love seeing the babies too.

My mum had read the book, and said that Chummy is just how she'd imagained her. I've downloaded the book and can't wait to read it. :D

Sorry, but I just don't "get" Miranda Hart - I know she has won every award there is and indeed other comedians I really like seem to rate her very highly, but all that slapstick/comments to camera stuff really winds me up - sorry ! (Yes, I do realise she is probably not doing this in Midwife, but just the sight of her makes my toes curl now)

I haven't read any of the books, but I am absolutely loving this series. It's proper Sunday Night telly!

I know what some posters mean about Miranda Hart, and would not have thought of myself as a fan, but I have to say that I've seen her in one or two things lately and I've really warmed to her, and I thought she was excellent in last night's programme. The breach baby had me sobbing!

I am watching it only because I have read the first book which was excellent; it had been recommended by a friend whose mother is an original east ender.

While I found the book to be an interesting social commentary and a real eye opener, I find that the TV series seems to be deviating from that slightly documentary style, which grates slightly for me. I am still going to watch the rest of the series, but had to grit my teeth watching Miranda Hart as a) I don't like comedians in any way b) I thought she was over acting which I don't like.

I'm afraid that I am always disappointed when I watch a dramatisation of a book which I have enjoyed, but that's just me. :roll:

I loved the book and reading the sequels atm. It was recommended by a man at work whose wife had read it and enjoyed it. That was a fews years back now.

The series was all filmed at my work last summer, we are used to film crews as we are often used as a film location. I get used to taking tours around and bumping into sets! The trouble is I find it a bit ditracting as I find myself watching where it's being filmed all the time! But it makes me quite proud to work in such a brilliant place!

I too have read and enjoyed the first 2 books and have the third downloaded ready to go. My grandmother worked with the author in her nursing days so I found out about the books that way.

I was hesitant, especially when I saw Miranda Hart in the trailers because I can't stand her stuff normally. but watched anyway last week and really enjoyed it. Last night I thought Ms Hart was very good and, as others have said, she is Chummy to a T.

I will be very interested to know what my grandmother made of it when I speak to her.

Loving it! I love the setting & the fashions though. I also loved the sewing machine Chummy used! :mrgreen: I wonder if any of the midwives will eventually convert to nuns? I once knew a friend who couldn't ride a bike. She was very ' Chummy'. So it tickled me a bit - as I remember her having a go on my bike along the river in Salzburg. It was very dodgy!

A lovely series. Was horrified at the poor girl having her baby taken away from her! Blimey it all went on didn't it?

Emma.x

Love it - trained in East End in the 80's and the people were lovely. I have found memories of my time there however it was changing for the worse when Ieft in the 90's. It was filmed round here - at least the convent bits were. It clashes with Wild at heart so off to watch on BBC I player thingy.

I am loving this too. I liked Miranda Hart. I agree with an earlier poster that sometimes her tv stuff makes me cringe but I still quite like it. What I don't like is her when she is a stand-in on radio 2.

I have been really interested in the conditions and the idea of nuns as midwives! My mum went up to Scotland in 1960 when she was expecting me as that was where my dad was working. She was so fed up living with her inlaws in Wales that she decided to stay up there with him and had little choice over choice of care. It was either the Salvation Army or some Carmelite nuns!! She chose the nuns (as an Irish Catholic) but says with hindsight that it was a mistake :lol: Interestingly ( for an Irish Catholic) I am an only child :(

I started watching this last Sunday and really liked the characters - not realising it was based on real life. The cake nun makes me laugh, she is just so sweet. I wasn't sure about Miranda being in it, as although I love her in real life (as in in interviews and other things like that) I didn't really like the OTT slapstick of her programme. But, actually, I really like her character and I think she plays it really well. It was sad to hear that the author of the book didn't live to see how it turned out as a tv programme, but I thought it was lovely she asked Miranda to play the role she is playing.

There is a piece in the Mail today from the book - I have got book but saving for when I can sit and chill and have a really good read. I think Miranda was good - I've not watched her on TV- wonder if shes playing herself. i trained with a few nurses like that - All jolly fun etc.

I am reading a similar book at the moment. It's called "Bread, Jam, and a Borrowed Pram" by Dot May Dunn. The author qualified as a health visitor in the 1950s and started a job that took her the back streets of Birmingham. I grew up in 1950s Birmingham and most of my family came from those sort of areas, so I am really enjoying it.