Diamond egg gal

First Timer, very nervous but excited!

After a few years of wanting to keep chickens (plus a few months of stalking this forum and one Omlet course later) I have finally taken the plunge and today placed an order with Omlet! My family are sooooo excited!! We've got a purple eglu classic with an extension kit and 3 gorgeous girls coming - 2 Gingernuts and 1 Miss Pepperpot.

I still have a few bits that I need to source before 'Chicken' day, as is now being called by my kids, but I think the chicken bug has well and truly taken hold within the household.

And I do apologise now for any numpty questions that I may post in the future.

:)

Thank you :)

Chicken day is 12th April

We have started to think of names. My youngest DD wants to call one Malteaser after a very friendly chicken that she met at a local cafe that has a chicken run in their garden. Then I decided on calling one Dolly. No reason, the name just popped into my head and I liked it. Then my DH and other DD were discussing names and came up with Princess Leia!!!!!! When I asked why, my DH said "Isn't it obvious, Leia get it?" I must have looked blank as he then said "Leia, lays eggs!"

So we are all very mad with nutty senses of humour. But very definitely looking forward to the new family additions.

:dance: Not too long to wait for Chicken Day :wink: Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping :D

So say all of us :clap:

After years of thought and planning I have had my girl GNRGNRPPPP s altogether 10 months and I would not have changed anything..They have certainly changed mine and my OH's lives for the better.

Yay, welcome to the forum!

I must have looked blank as he then said "Leia, lays eggs!"

I think someone here (or I've read it somewhere else :think: ) has 2 hens called Hen Solo and Princess Layer :lol:

Glad you're joining the ranks of the mad chicken-keepers 8)

Hey, Diamond egg gal, savour the next few days however eggcited you are. If you are like most of us on here you'll have quite a few more 'chicken days' to come, but nothing will be quite the same as this first time. For me it was like being a child again at Christmas. Enjoy all the anticipation and the excitement.

Yes and do be prepared for an uncurable case of "morehens disease" or "morehenitis", I have got it very bad, I was told "only four" last February, now I have 12 happy girls, 24 eggs in an incubator. Dad is "Charlie" in the Bupa advert.... Its all go. But I haven't looked back once despite the loss of a few of the hens over the year and a bad cockerel who behaved aggressively towards the girls. Its a wonderful worthwhile hobby. If you would like to borrow a 7 egg incy to let the children see the eggs hatch it can be arranged!!

Awwwww thank you so much everyone!

My OH and I are loving reading all your replies.

> Whereabouts are you? I'm just outside of Romford…

I'm in Rayleigh so not too far away. Omlet are bringing our chickens with the eglu, but will give that farm a wide birth. Especially when morehenitus strikes :)

> Hey, Diamond egg gal, savour the next few days however eggcited you are.

> If you are like most of us on here you'll have quite a few more 'chicken days' to

> come, but nothing will be quite the same as this first time. For me it was like

> being a child again at Christmas. Enjoy all the anticipation and the excitement.

Hahaha I was thinking its like Christmas come early but thought I was being daft! I don't feel so silly now :)