Chortle Chook

My beautiful Dizzy has gone :(

My lovely gold laced Poland has vanished. I had to travel down from Oxfordshire to Kent on Saturday and could not get back till just after dark. Usually Dizzy sits herself up on the top of the hen house with my white splash Poland, Dandy, and together they wait to be put to bed as they like a little cuddle first. When we got back there was Dandy up on the hen house roof, but no Dizzy :( All the others were on their perches inside.

We have looked up all the trees (she did once perch high up on a big chestnut tree and had to be helped down again) and under the bushes but not a trace. We live in a row of terraced houses and I wondered if she could have hopped from the hen house roof to a neighbour's garden, so I've distributed door to door flyers and put up posters and talked to anyone who will listen, but . . . nothing. I'm gutted :cry: I just can't think where she could possibly be.

I had clipped one of her wings but she has been moulting so I guess her wing feathers must have re-grown. This is my first chicken loss and I'm much sadder somehow than I ever thought I would be. Each morning I wake up hoping that she'll be back and I go out looking up the trees and in the bushes calling her name :cry:

I am so sorry :( You must be heartbroken.

I am trying to think of any thing at all to help. You have done the flyers, what about the local vets - would they keep a note of her details for you, or a picture/flyer in the local shops. Our local vets had a hen handed into them a few weeks back. Turned out she had dived out of the gate whilst the owners were taking the recylcing bins out.

I really do hope you find her soon - keep us updated won't you.

Thats very sad news. Its horrible when a pet goes missing. I'm probably stating the obvious but have you looked your sheds etc? I lost a hen the other day and found her in a shed on the bag of feed! She had laid an egg in the bag! They get into all sorts. I hope she turns up. x

Thank you everyone. You have all been most kind. I've had a glimpse of how horrid it is not to know what happens when a being goes missing. I can't give up hoping she'll be back and I keep on worrying about her suffering when the weather is bad (cold or raining). People with cats who have gone missing will know what I mean. All the same, what I think happened is that she must have got through to a garden where there is a lurcher and it probably did what comes naturally to a lurcher who has not been taught as my dogs have to walk through all the chickens. It is sad as she was such a sweet, trusting, tame little chicken :(