PoachedPlease

Help emergency chicken swallowed nerf bullet whole.

Maybe call a chicken savvy vet alternatively maybe the same treatment as an impacted crop,Treatment: If caught early, the contents of the crop need to be softened with liquid Paraffin, warm water or a couple of teaspoons of Olive Oil. Massage gently for a few minutes, then, turn the bird upside down to empty the crop out through the beak. Turn the bird the right way up to allow it to breathe every 8 to 10 seconds. This is a two person job. In more serious cases, veterinary intervention is required. A vet will usually cut the crop open, empty the contents and stitch the bird back up afterwards. I am fairly new at this lark but if you think it won't pass through then that's what I would try

Good luck x

Have just looked it up on the net and apparently chickens love styrofoam. It's common for them to eat it but spoke to the vet and they hadn't heard of it before. Will keep her away from food but give her water tonight and see how she is tomorrow. Poor thing has just been upside down for half an hour but no joy!!

I was going to buy more chickens but they have a death wish half the time!

X :pray:

Oh No! I'm freaking out now because my neighbours boy lost a nerf gun dart today and we couldn't find it. He didn't know where it went and it could quite easily of gone in our garden. The chickens were free-ranging at the time and we never found it :shock:

Keep us posted on how she gets on. I hope she coughs it up or something??

Good luck xx

I wouldn't have even thought they could swallow a nerf bullet, that's horrible. Perhaps she will deal,with it like a slug. Some of those are huge. Hopefully her juices will be enough to deal with it. Having a young son myself , I know what it's like having these things around. Please keep us posted. :doh:

I have spent all day worrying, although my crazy girl is acting normal. The bullet is the softer one, with no edges, and she's a big old bird, but if it doesn't appear tomorrow I am resigning myself to probably having her pts. I can't see how she would survive an operation, especially when it's not metal and can't be x-rayed!! Having said that, there are plenty of other mad hens on the net which seem to have survived swallowing nails and glass etc. what's so frustrating is we spend so much time keeping the henhouse clean and their food tip top, and then they fancy chewing on a dayglow orange piece of foam. :doh:

...fingers crossed for an orange poop tomorrow!!!

Xx

Don't know if this helps but my last hen house came flat packed, and a lot of polystyrene flat sheet foam was used. When I propped up the boxes after emptying beside the bins, I found the chooks had all been nibbling the white foam from inside! This was well over a month ago and it didn't do them any harm although I removed it immediately once I realised. Hopefully your little hen will be ok and pass it naturally? I can see those bullets are quite a bit bigger 9had to google it also)

Thanks sparkysmum mum, I'm hoping youre right. she is doing fine -dust bathing and hassling the chicks as per normal but still no sign of anything orange. I spoke to a doctor friend of mine who owns chickens and he seems confident it will eventually reappear, but it's preying on my mind. No free ranging for a while though for the girls!

Xx