sparkysmum

Sparky has gone

Last Wednesday, on the 5th Feb 2014, my lovely Sparky, The Most Loved Dog in the World, passed away. He was well over 17yrs (vet opinion 17yrs 11months) He was our first dog. He had been in and out of rescue - SSPCA and Dogs Trust) before he came to us. We agreed to foster him for a few weeks only but soon started finding reasons that his would be adopters were unsuitable and from then on I became Sparkysmum. He was the happiest dog in the universe!! With us he slimmed down from a " coffee table on legs" into my fit, healthy running partner who ran for joy every day we were out together. He only stopped running with us at the age of about 14/15yrs.

He loved everyone and had so many doggy friends that he was a mini legend in the canine community. Even dogs who didnt get on with other dogs loved him such was his calm placid nature.

When the children were little, he was in every story they wrote and every photo in the house has Sparky in it. I am struggling a bit without him but I know that "his time had come" We know that he had a fabulous life with us but in reality we were the lucky ones, we were lucky to have him. :D

Here are a few photos of my lovely boy

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/sparkysmum_2008/media/261212-1433_zps828dbca7.mp4.html

video of Sparky at over 16yrs and still running for pleasure.

image-d753db18b6529388193fb7c23ad641b038647a3343919452f431e6c45a811c10-V_zps14fe67eb.jpg

Sparx and Ant 3/2/2014

DSC_0262_zpse713e8ec.jpg

On Dumyat Boxing Day 2013

I am so so sorry for your loss, you must devastated and I really feel for you. What lovely pictures and words, he sounds like a very special boy. Sparky was a very lucky to have such a lovely mum and life. They are so much a part of our life and identity and it's so hard to lose them, having been through it before I can empathise with how you must be feeling. I hope that in time you will be able to smile at his very special memories. Sending hugs and best wishes at this very sad time xxx

So very sorry to hear about Sparky, but he will live on un your children's memories and yours. We had a rescue dog like Sparky when the children were young, and even now, in their 30's and 40's, they often speak of Ben with great affection. To them, he is the perfect dog against which all others have to be measured. I'm sure Sparky will be the same.

Thank you all for such kind messages. It is good to know that so many people understand just how hard this is. You are all soooo lovely. Bluekarin, you are so right :!: He did come to us when he needed I think perhaps we needed him too 8) Sparky was never, ever ill in all the years we had him. The end came when he had a vestibular attack out of the blue (balance goes, nausea and vomiting too and nystagmus) He was rushed to the vet hospital where we were given some hope that he might recover even slightly but by the following day he could only move his eyes and swallow. He was cremated privately and I hope to have his ashes in the next few days.

I am trying to channel my energy into positive things and on Monday bought a ton of woodchips. Going to reclaim the garden and build a rose bed where Sparx used to dig his dens. The hens will be confined to their garden and have their ridiculously priced woodchips to scratch around in.

I would like to think animals have a spirit and that he is still with us. Love to you all. Axx

Thank you all for your kind words :D I hope it doesn't sound overly sentimental but I picked up Sparky's ashes today and it feels like he's home. He's back with us. The hens have actually stayed in their run for a whole day, so maybe when it gets a little warmer I might just be able to make his rose border :D Axx