redbug

BBC 2 - The Big Allotment Challenge

A new show on BBC2 on Tuesday, April 15, at 8pm.

will see nine pairs of green fingered contestants compete for the title of best grower by producing vegetables, fruits and flowers for a panel of experts.

Hosted by Fern Britton, it was filmed over six months last year and will follow the same format as the hit cookery show, where contestants are set a different challenge each week and attempt to avoid elimination.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2599334

Not sure what this will be like... :?:

What did we think? Not my cup of tea and I grow virtually all my own vegetables and lots of fruit and flowers.

I won't go out of my way to watch it, the only thing I was really interested in was how to make the hand tie bouquet as I haven't done that before.

Couldn't stand Fern Britton either.

I saw a little of it the plots were far to tidy the sheds and green houses were far to new and of the self and the crops and plants were all to nice and perfect for a 'new' plot and were is the debris netting to keep the pigeons of the brassicas and the allium leaf miner of the onions and leeks I've been an allotment plot holder for over ten years and still can't get 50% of my crops to harvest

there's another series planed for next year we had an email passed on to us about a month back asking for entrants

Sorry, watched about 5 mins. Got thoroughly bored, switched over. Who wants to know what breed of radish you're growing? Whatever next. Great British ...................... Fill in the blanks :D

I know the variety of nearly all the veg I grow that way I know what variety not to plant again if I have a bad one

How may wretched curds and jams did they taste? I couldn't believe they went through ALL of them. How can this be entertaining, it isn't taste television. The only thing I got out of it was seeing the various sweet peas and the flower arranging ties, otherwise BORING BBC!

Sorry didn't mean to offend. I am a useless Gardner. Just thought I'd get something from this programme :(

Just realised fill in the blanks could of looked a bit rude. I certainly didn't mean it to. Just meant maybe britains best chickens/eggs etc :?

no offence was taken on my part

two things you forgot about the program one it's made by the BBC. 2 it's follows the same format as the great British bake off they could make a real gardening program if their lives depended on it

We'd recorded and started watching on Sunday night..... Tolerated the first episode, but about 10 mins into the second episode we decided No More!!

I don't care if my radishes are uniform shape, or that my runner beans are straight and I certainly don't want to be using valuable veg growing space for growing flowers to make a hand tied bouquet :talk2hand:

Not what real life allotmenteering is all about!!