clucker1

Downton Abbey New Series

Sorry to all you DA fans, but I read this at the weekend on FB and it did make me chuckle a bit :lol:

Do you know what happens when you watch Downton Abbey ?

Time slows down to almost a stop and then you fall into a boredom coma..and when you wake up six weeks later a Lady has changed her hat and someone ate their soup with the wrong spoon. from Marniemakes

It just struck a chord with me as my first foray into watching it I just couldn't see why everyone loves it so much. Maybe it would be different if I and watched it from the beginning.

I didnt see the first series either and have managed to stay awake during the last 2 episodes - but I am starting to find it all a bit tedious too. Some of the acting is very wooden and apart from Maggie Smith I dont think some of the others are that good. Frankly I wish someone would bump Lady Mary off - I just dont think a woman in her position would confide in a maid about FP issues.

I love the historic angle of it. Last night's episode the telephone, I remember in the 70s and 80s being told there was a call for me. And the skirts are rising further up the leg too. Of course now days a lot of people have their own phone, so "sharing" doesn't happen so much. Similarly like washing up, a family chore now the dishwasher does it, thus reducing those family moments...I know technology moves us on, but sometimes I do wonder about it all.

I love the historical angle too. The first two series were brill. for that but I'm beginning to get a little disgruntled as Lady Mary and others get up to things that really they would not have done at that time. I just don't think an aristocratic family up in Yorkshire in the 20s would have had almost every female member playing away :shock:

I think more played away than was thought. FP was just coming in and was around for those more wealthy. I read "House of Elliot" set in the 1920's and a lot of well to do ladies were using some sort of cap device. Pity no one told Lady Edith :shock: How long before Marigolds adoptive mum cottons on. Oh what a mess.