gavclojak

What do you do with hens that have died

I am really sorry to ask and I hope I don't offend anyone but I can't possibly be the only person that wants to know. What do you folk do when one of your hens goes to the great freerange in the sky?

I have been taking my girls to the vets and have had them cremated and they charge £15

I have no objections to this but an curious as to what others do?

Once again apologies but it's one of those uncomfortable things isn't it!

It all depends on the available land you have I suppose Gavclojak. A few have gone double bagged into the bin, but most are pets with names and are buried in the garden near their friends. They are laid in an 18" deep hole facing East to the rising sun, covered over just in kitchen roll. We say good-by, leave grain and a flower next to them and cover them over in an unmarked spot. Guess trusting to memory isn't such a good idea and we should measure to a fixed feature and record it, because we wouldn't want to dig them up by accident. Their name leg ring, if they had one, gets hung on the run.

They need to be buried quite deep to avoid foxes digging them up.

It all depends on the available land you have I suppose Gavclojak. A few have gone double bagged into the bin, but most are pets with names and are buried in the garden near their friends. They are laid in an 18" deep hole facing East to the rising sun, covered over just in kitchen roll. We say good-by, leave grain and a flower next to them and cover them over in an unmarked spot. Guess trusting to memory isn't such a good idea and we should measure to a fixed feature and record it, because we wouldn't want to dig them up by accident. Their name leg ring, if they had one, gets hung on the run.

They need to be buried quite deep to avoid foxes digging them up.

Ah....beantree....i see you in a while new light :clap:

Thank you both for those honest answer's, this is going to sound ridiculous, my husband said put her in the bin but I felt disloyal and disrespectful.

I agree - mine are primarily pets and deserved better than bin. They have been buried - slabs/bricks/heavy pots on top.

Maybe when I have lost a few more it will get easier:
I wish it did - it hasn't for me, so far.

We started off burying them but, when we went down the ex-batt rehoming route and had more hens, we had to make a decision whether we wanted a garden or a poultry graveyard. So now we double bag and bin. To be honest it never feels quite right but it is a practical solution. In any case I'd rather spend money, time and energy on the living rather than the dead any day. I feel that they've had as good a life as we can give them and there are lots more waiting to be given that chance.

Ours are buried in the garden in a paper feed bag with a large flowerpot which gets moved on top to stop fox digging them up, and it also marks how far down the fence line we've got. The ferret cemetery is on the other side of the garden and they get a paper bag and a paving slab, and sometimes buried with their friend if two die close together.

It's interesting the common ground here is no matter how we put them to rest they are all well looked after and their life meant something to each and everyone of us. I know those who pop them in the bin care every bit as much as for their hens as those who choose to cremate or bury them, they are just a bit more practical:)

Thanks again, I wanted to ask for ages but it's one of those uncomfortable conversations and I didn't want to offend anyone

I double bag and bin. I adore all my pets, but have never had them cremated and kept their ashes. I believe that once they are gone it's just an empty body. I prefer to live with memories of them. Cats, dogs and horses have sadly passed and been left with the vets to deal with. I've never even watched them die. I remember all of them dearly and talk about them often

When I first had my original Omlet hens 2 died on the same day but our bin collection wasn't for a good few days, so a friend with a different collection took them.

I found it really hard that 2 of my pets just went in the bin and I never did it again.

I now take them to our vets and they are cremated for just £2 - obviously we don't get the ashes for that but I don't mind that so much.

Hi, when my first ex bat passed away, we buried her and put a slab on top to prevent her being dug up. After that, we double bagged one and have had two others cremated. Simon reminded me that they can be put into food recycling bins :shock: ( not that I would contemplate it for even a second)

I think if you have the space, AND they are not likely to be dug up, then burying seems right but all depends on personal circumstances.

Ax

I must seem very heartless saying some of mine go in the fox trap for bait but truth is I do feel a bit sad when doing this but if the bin is not due for a fortnight I have to do something with them and its a good feeling when my friend tells me mr fox who has been making a nuisance of himself has been caught leanne :)

I don't mind feeding birds that have died to the fox as I know it will be the foxes last meal but I only ever feed birds that I know are healthy that I have culled to dogs etc just incase of infections etc especially if you don't know what they've died of not having ago chickabee wasn't sure if you had thought of this leanne :)