bellekatz

Am I mad to want a ......

DOG????? :?:?

Given the number of pets we have already and that we live in a town should I be considering a rescued labrador? I know of a group nearby who rehome labs and would dearly love to give one a home. I last had a dog about 7 years ago that i had to give up for adoption as the children were little, OH worked away and I was offered a job full time on the other side of the cuity which I had to take. It wasnt fair to keep her locked up all day so I eventually put her up for adoption. For the last two years I have worked locally, 4 days a week, have a sister living with me who is home very day until lunchtime and a 2 teenage children who desperately want to help take care of a dog. I feel the time is right to have another dog and I miss the long walks in the park ( across the road) and the meadows ( 5 mins walk away) that i used to have. Given the cats, chickens, Rabbit and GPs would I be mad to take on another animal? OH says its not his decision so I need some views on whether enough is enough or a loving home is always required for rescued animals! I wouldnt want a puppy and am happy to take on an older dog ( I have my eye on an 81/2 year old black neutered male!) What do you guys think??

I think if you really want it, you'll find a way! And Labs can be the ideal dogs (providing you don't get a rogue). Can you have him visit first to see how he interracts with the other animals? That's what we did when we took a 9 month old golden retriever many years ago. He visited for 2 days and never went away again! :lol:

Hope it works out for you! :D

If you think it's the right time, then it is :D We keep adding to our gaggle, and each time we loose a pet I think that's it no more, but then usually one moves in not long after :roll::lol:

Both our dogs are rescue dogs, Holly was about one when we got her and Alfie 2 years later when he was a pup :D They are tying and need excercise etc. but I wouldn't swap them for the world :D

Good luck with your descision :wink:

karen x

If you feel the time is right, then it probably is. I keep saying no more pets, but I can't help myself. I think as long as you know that you have the time/space to care for it properly then go for it. I couldn't be without our wonderful collie.

Good Luck

:D

in 1997, we went to the Blue Cross to re-home a puppy and we ended up coming home with a six year old german shepherd :shock: she was a beautiful dog and a real pleasure to have with us. (sadly passed on now)

Adopting an older dog does have its benefits - its house trained and probably knows some basic commands, im sure you will be a great owner. Just make sure the dog doesnt have any long term illnesses that you might be lumbered with, and that the dog is in good condition (our rehomed dog was given to us with mange believe it or not - and WE had to pay to treat it)

I applaud you for rehoming ANY animal, as there are so many loving pets out there just looking for love and a caring home. Go for it if you really want to get one :D

ps - I would recommend insuring the dog if you can! :)

I love my dog, we got her as a cross four and a bit ears ago. she was the only puppy left there out of a litter where the mum had been abandoned, all the rest had been rehomed, she was a bit less than a year old, and very jumpy and shy- even scared of cats, and over time she has become a totally different dog. It's a wonderful feeling knowing they have improved because of you and your family :D shes a staffie cross collie cross labrador, and a bit larger than staffie size and slimmer. She's absolutely adorable.

I'd say go for it. You will be changing a dogs life for the better ^_^

How exciting :D

Manchester Dogs Home and it's sister home in Warrington. where we had our dogs from are very good. I think they are doing a sponsored dog walk soon :? to raise money for the home. We have done it since we got Holly. It's in the grounds of Cheshire Dogs Home, and you can do as many circuits as you like, and offer to take some of the rescue dogs for a walk too :wink:

karen x

My old Jezebel used to make me laugh so much, chasing rabbits, with her tongue out and a big smile on her face. Lurchers are just the business :D

My parents always had pure breed dogs, and my the friends with dogs, I'm with you on the mutt front :lol: My eldest was throwing a tennis ball for Alfie (part lurcher) and he caught it with his tongue hanging out of his mouth between the ball and his teeth :shock: dozy dog :lol:

karen x

:P Both my dogs are rescue's. Had from Pup - Tori we got 2 years ago in November from the RSPCA Tameside and Glossop branch. Some are pups, some older dogs needing new homes for various reasons ( not always bad ).Their website has all the current dogs looking for home on - with good descriptions of what their needs are. I still look most days .... :roll:

I have applied for a springer spaniel! OH said Yes (I knew he would) - the Lab rescue was very disorganised but I founf the springer spaniel rescue at the weekend and the guy phone me back within the hour. The vet check has been done, just waiting for the homechecker to come back off her hols and we can go to the kennels in Warrington. We are so excited :lol::lol::lol: Can't wait for all those long walks again........

Well we have had our home check today ( after a vet check and telephone interview) and we are now just waiting to be matched up with a dog. I'm so excited :lol::lol: and so is my 12 year old son. Even OH was enthustiastic when the lovely lady from the rescue society came round. Can;t wait for the next phone call............................ 8)

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol::lol::lol: we are picking up our dog on Sunday morning. He is 9 years old and a well behaved liver and white boy. He came to the rescue with another dog he had lived with who had had a real go at him in the car. The other dog went a while ago whilst our dog has been recovering. Hisi name is Duke but will see what we think about that - anyone got any ideas for other names??? Cant wait until Sunday!!!!!!