Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Wind is picking up here too - with oooh oooohhhhhhh noises just in case we didn't know it was windy out there. I think where the leaves are falling the branches are helping the oooooooheeee sounds.

Otherwise dry but dull. I did read the other day that the authorities are warning of a winter spell of some 24 (couldn't round it up then?) storms and freezing temperatures. As I'm walking around outside in a t-shirt and in a summer skirt I am wondering when they can squeeze all these storms together. The swirly thingy over Finland which looked like it might make a hasty dash for southern lands seems to have been pushed back by the stuff coming up over the Atlantic. Gosh I do love satellite pics! :oops::lol:

And it's hard to believe it's winter - the oak tree is still covered with green leaves although this week more turned brown and started dropping. Neighbours ash trees were bare since the end of September - last in leaf too. My oak was in leaf long before they even sprouted! Even the hawthorns are still leafy, but not much green to be seen there. Flowers are still flowering, and my scented spring clematis is still showing nicely. Probably thinks we've had cold, it must be Easter! :roll: The only thing that reminds me that winter is coming (hah!) is the lack of light during the day. Meh! Roll on Solstice!

been blowing a howling gale all day with some very strong gusts, it has to have been one of the nosiest days I've spent outside when working in 30+ years at work and this is out in the middle of the country over Kidderminster way not in the middle of Brum or air side at the airport just the wind blasting through the trees. the only plus side it's been warm enough to work without a coat and jumper and the rain didn't turn up

the guy I'm working for said it's the trade wind from the direction that it was blowing in from straight up the Severn Valley it was a bit strange today through the clouds were going on direction but the winds at ground level were going the opposite way I think they were hitting the top of the hill which is lined with 80-100foot Scotch pine and conifer trees and bouncing back on it's self not nice

I might actually get to sleep tonight - I love listening to the wind - bit like when it rains, soothing me to slumber. Even if the wind has picked up and seems to be blowing stuff at the front and the back. The lights are flickering like no tomorrow - good job none of us have epilepsy or there would be issues. My friend always had problems after discos (yeah, dee eye ess see oh days) but we were young and she'd suffer for a dance or two. Or a few drinks :lol:

Well I was lulled to sleep - and woke up because the wind had dropped and it was quiet! It did pick up later though. Our old compost bin decided to unhinge itself and squash the outer chook fence. They were kept inside the inner walls! But what a lovely day in the end. Very warm, although only in the sheltered spots!

-3 forecast here overnight so guaranteed an early wake up with everyone reving up cars to clear windscreens :roll: Seems no one in our close has heard of de icer :wall:

On a less Grumpy Old Woman note; saw a lovely rainbow this afternoon driving back from the supermarket run to school pick up. I felt quite tempted to blow it all and tear off in search of the end of it! Erk; old hippy alert :lol:

A tad nippy then Blacky!

Another pleasant day here, cloudy while we did our Nordic walking, but at the top of the hill overlooking Farnborough airport you could feel the chill. Temperatures had dropped even more when I went to give the girls their tea. I'm building up the nerve to pop out and tuck the girls in now - wuss! Sky looks pretty out there - lots of pinky sunset clouds.

nice calm sunny winters day here only warm enough to for go the coat this morning through mind I did only do an hour's work this morning. 3 - 9hr days took it of me more than I thought it would, mind it's been 6 or 7 years since I worked 9hr days :lol: