Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Didn't make it to Wiltshire - took us half an hour to do three miles so we came back and round trip took just over an hour. Still snowing hard and there is currently about 4 inches. Its thawing slightly but, if this freezes overnight, it will be lethal first thing. Strongly suspect school closures tomorrow unless gritting happens (havn't seen any evidence so far nor had there been gritters out overnight on the main roads that we drove/slid on this morning :roll: )

All very dramatic!

Edited to add; slid and slipped round to the pub in the village ( :oops::shock::lol: ) as were all going a bit stir crazy as our promised day out was off the cards but they had a power cut; beginning to feel somewhat Dickensian...

Ooo, I love it when that happens

It brightened a bit earlier and the snow eased a little with some melting going on, but it's snowing again, although it looks a bit wetter then before. temp is 1.5deg, so not exactly freezing. Stove roaring away, tree up and decorated, chooks cleaned out, although they seem to be terrified of the snow!

Round robin message from work to the effect that the office is closed tomorrow. I am one of the few who live locally, and although the main roads hadn't been gritted earlier, I understand that they are now drive-able... if I can get off my road! We are supposed to be working from home, although my laptop is in work as I'm not in the habit of bringing it back unless I am wfh the next day.

Woke to snow on Friday so our proposed trip to the Malverns was off. Yesterday had slight snow showers but today we woke to heavy snow and it hasn't stopped all day, we have around 7 to 8 inches. OH managed to get his car off the drive in 4x4 mode but our village has a downward hill at either end, and several cars were stuck trying to get up into the village. He's been to his studio half a mile away just fine. I've just taken a broom to my car in anticipation of a shopping trip tomorrow, but it's now surrounded by a massive pile of snow!

My hens are not happy either :)

We have a couple of inches, started in early hours and hasn’t stopped since. It was melting underneath at first and there are great slushy pools at the edges of the roads around here will be lethal when it freezes which it’s forcast to do from midday onwards tomorrow.

Tree is up, seemed appropriate given the weather, we were going to wait until next weekend when YD will be back from first term at uni. She is sad not to have a tree to decorate but has loads of snow where she is and has just had a lot of fun watching an idiot trying to get his car out of their very sloped uni hall car park and getting it totally wedged in the snow. Makes you wonder about common sense!

it started snowing here again about 11:30 am and hasn't stopped yet it's only really light snow but it's drooped another inch next to no wind through I reckon We've had about 6 inches since Friday morning going on the areas that didn't throw out Friday afternoon and yesterday

I've burned about 4 days wood since Thursday night got loads but running out of dry stuff

Luckily I bagged up a whole load on Saturday, and brought it up neat the house. The heating is on, but very low as usual, and the stove is roaring away. It's not actually that cold outside.

Rather drippy out there now, and it seems to be thawing. A little light snow coming down, but I reckon that I will try to get to the office tomorrow, unless there's a dramatic snow dump in the night. I am not looking forward to the thaw and resulting mudbath!

We had about 6-7 inches of snow this morning (just north of Chipping Norton) by the time we ventured out to do the chickens - but where it had drifted across the path in the paddock it was up over my wellies :shock: It's been snowing all day so I've sent the teenager out to shut up the hens - he's taller than me so less likely to get bogged down in it - at least that's my excuse :lol:

part the problem is I brought some in Thursday that I thought was nearly dry enough but needs a few days indoors and that's taking up half my basket the other problem is I had the fire on for about 12 hrs Friday 15 yesterday and 11 so far today . good thing is I'm burning felled wood (mainly conifer with a bit of cherry , birch and Laurel) not waste wood and I'm not having to burn as much to get the heat.

forecast for tomorrow is just below freezing all day for here but -6 Monday night