Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Same down here just south of Oxford. Orangey light and the colour of the sky is sepia; it's really weird and not a little unsettling. Wearing t shirt and shorts as I'm finding the temp quite sticky too - feels like things are very out of kilter......

Just off to see if I can see four horsemen riding up the road :anxious:

Yes very strange light here too.

Went shooting (archery) this morning. Bit damp first thing but then strangely warm and humid. Sun shone for a short time. Only a light wind but the wind has now got up, its clouded over and there is this very strange light.

Best wishes to all those in areas that are more severely affected by the storm.

Chrissie.

Apparently it was a result of this spent hurricane that's blowing through. bringing sand from the Sahara and smoke and debris from the forest fires in Spain and Portugal with it. they were calling it a red sun on the report I read

the sky got more sepia just after I posted earlier but know the suns out properly but the winds picking up

Yup - we said it felt like an eclipse because the birds went all quiet. Took some photos of the sun and the sepia sky. Ophelia is just off Ireland at the moment and they are probably getting a bit of a battering over there. Thankfully by the time she got here she was downgraded. Glad she brought some warmth though.

The tail of the storm is just passing Galway, I can hear it through the window now, it was a windy day with some rain but nothing big, I drove across Galway this evening few trees down a crane down, autumn leaves everywhere, sea weeds filling a road near the sea, but that is it, nothing as big as you see in Sky News.

Edited to say: the worst thing is many houses are without power tonight and working mothers have difficulties as schools and creches are closed

Yesterday morning as Ophelia arrived was one of the oddest October mornings ever. I went outside at just after 7am to take the tarpaulin off the walk in run (to stop he wind ripping it or blowing the whole lot away) and the first thing that hit me was the smell. Really strong smell just like when you get off a plane into the Tarmac in a hot country. And then the heat was her too. It was 19 degrees at 7 in the morning!! Properly odd. Even by the time I walked to work a little over an hour later it had cooled down a couple of degrees and the smell had gone - then it was just a very windy day. I love it when things are different!

Me too - I took the dogs out and chose to walk round the reservoir as there are less trees there, a squall blew up which produced waves with white crests on the res, and blew stinging rain in under my hood. It was pretty extreme! It is still pretty blowy out there, but the direction of the wind means that I can't really hear it in my house.

it was warm and dull till dinner where I was yesterday when the wind got up then the temp dropped did get a bit of sun through and We missed the rain. We had the tail end a storm just after I got home through and it looks like it's a bit gusty here at the moment not going to be fun out were I'm working today :(