soapdragon

Here We Go Round The Baking Tent....again!

On tonight, the new GBBO! Some media interest so far but I have specifically ignored it so as not to be at all prejudice or pre judgemental. There have been various articles with bios on the contestant but in the past I have personally found these quite distracting...hence trying to skip them this time round! Will be interesting to see if this theory works :oops:

Mary Berry's hair, of all things..must have been a quiet news day..... has come in for some comment from The Daily Mail ( :roll::wink: ) and is, apparently, fast approaching what OH calls 'a full scaffold job'. Also, she seems to be constantly referred to as 'Bezza' which, IMHO, does rather detract from her dignity :shameonu:

OH has let slip that there are new/different categories this year - namely historical and botanical; maybe it was time for a bit of a 'shake up'. 8.00pm; Recorder set, answerphone on, feet up, glass of something chilled ........

I was in 2 minds as to watch it or not, as I am not going to be able to see the rest of the season :x:x

Still, glad I did as it was as enjoyable as ever.

Loved Selasi (lovely smile, great attitude), Benjamina, the young re headed guy & the other 2 younger chaps.I make a G&T loaf myself & there is no such thing as too much Gin!

Did not warm to the silly lady who kept doing aerobics & her with the purple lipstick.

Personally I would never make Jaffa Cakes - you simply cannot beat the ones in the box!

I couldnt get my eyes off the young woman with the dark lippie in a perfect cupids bow. I would look dug up in that colour :lol: Agree Selasi shouldve been star baker - he was so laid back he was horizontal. Love Nadiya - interesting what she said re arranged weddings, hope it wont go against her. She has a lovely OH.

So hard, at this stage, to make any predictions as to who might, just, win but did like the lady with the swallow cake....thought blue food somehow never appeals! Selasi was great; so laid back he was horizontal and you do have to wonder if 'attitude' is the key :think: It will be very interesting to see how the bakers develop over the coming weeks.

The Jo Brand prog... An Extra Slice;I think on Friday?.......is always a fun watch and gives a bit of depth to each contestant albeit as they are voted off!

Love Bake Off as ever but we were wondering if Mary's eyes are really that blue :shock:

Totally agree that Selasi should have won star baker and that the right person went home.

The tent looks so much bigger on TV - we went where it is filmed to see the snowdrops and the outline of the tent on the grass is quite small.

We were lucky enough to meet St Mary of Berry at a local fete last year (tho she wasn't allowed to judge the cake comp due to her contract with the BEEB :roll:) and, yes, she does have amazing eyes! She is also quite.....vertically challenged but is just lovely with an amazing and somewhat regal - tho approachable - prescence and there def is a certain feeling that one ought to curtsy tho I am sure he would be mortified if that happened :shock:

I've never watched it all the way through before, but I am going to this year.

My friends are badgering me to apply next year (assuming there's another series). I don't mind making a fool of myself around them, but I am not sure I want to be a national laughing stock just yet! :/

I am baking some jaffa cakes later on, so we'll see how that goes.

I did make this the other day (mint-choc-chip layer cake). It's not exactly award winning, though.

13935017_10157304908735293_7918574312892069189_n_zpsdi46ox0l.jpg

Now watching Chronicles of Nadiya, and I love her, she is so natural and witty!

I loved that. My partner and I were saying that we hope the BBC gives her her own show. I'd love to see a programme with her travelling around and learning about all the local cuisines or something. I also said I thought she had brilliant comedic timing and quips - she could have her own sitcom too.

That cake would have scored well in the mirror cake challenge! Looks yummy!

We have just, this morning, installed our new built in double oven and I can't wait to bake! Last sponge cake I made on Weds took 50 mins as the old oven was def dodgy :roll: The bread we made this afternoon was much more evenly browned too!

Did anyone watch 'An Extra Slice' yesterday evening? Its such good fun and has 'out takes' from that week's prog....not impressed with Paul swatting the fly with the 'fish slice' then replacing it in the utensil pot though :vom:

Edited to add; it was the slice put back in the pot not the dead fly :whistle:

In many ways I actually find 'An Extra Slice' much better than the original GBBO programme, and now the bakes they have to do are somewhat ridiculous, and actually I think in many ways it could and does put off ordinary people from even attempting to cook them, ie Genoese sponge in those mirror cakes...

Looks ok to me Andy. any chance of recipe? Please? thanks or where you got it from.

This one actually isn't my own recipe, sadly. I wish I could take all the credit, though. It's based on a recipe from a bakery in London, you can find the details (and handy tutorial) on their YouTube channel:

Enjoy! :)