patsylabrador

Lockdown

20 minutes ago, Beantree said:

Other news was that the Chinese have had the first case of re-infection, so the previous theory that some people don't develop antibodies and can catch it again has been proven.

Belgium too, although this isn’t the whole story. There are at least 6 strains of the virus going round now. And both the Chinese as the Belgium person have be reinfected with a strain that is different from the first infection.

Went into Reading yesterday (ES needed to take his laptop in to be repaired) and it really wasn't fun. People were generally wearing masks but hard to avoid getting close to other people. I tend to go shopping when it's a necessity rather than for fun so don't think I'll be doing it again for a while (except for collecting ES laptop)

Just been told there have been 2 cases of re-infection in Holland also Cattails. Our Dutch friends don't like the expense of disposable masks and leave them in the sun to get hot (above 60C) and then they re-use them. We re-use ours if they've only been worn for a few minutes in a shop and we've not been near anyone. Like us they only go out if they have to, not if they want to and there is a big difference in those two reasons.

Yes I read heard that too on the news this morning. 

But masks still aren't a real thing here, apart from having to wear them on the public transport and in certain areas in Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I have two reusable ones that my mom made me. But haven't worn them anywhere but at the vets or in the loos at my moms campsite.
Although there are a few secondary schools that have imposed them, I really hope I don't have to go back to teaching wearing one.

I had to work in relation to flooding in one of our very busy holiday seaside towns one evening last week. My colleague and I were wearing high vis and obviously had to be polite and engage with members of the public. I don’t think one person who talked to us - either as a positive or less positive interaction - made any effort to keep a safe distance away or not talk ‘head on’ to us. I know our employer would have supported us if we’d asked to leave (we didn’t) but I now have even more respect for people working in public facing roles, and less than ever for he general British public and their regard for the safety of others.

One supermarket installed bike bells on their shopping trolleys and I thought that was hilarious and also really need that at times.... People are so self absorbed that you can stand there waiting for ages before they notice you and realise (or not) that you are waiting for them to move.

• Haha 2

Bells on trolleys is a great idea!

News today is full of doom. 6100 new cases found, 21 Departments (Counties) classed as 'red', so partial shutdown, M*****ille recording 177 cases per 100,000 population in one day. Worryingly one of the 'red' Departments is next to us. They have said we are not heading for a second wave as such, but the trend is steadily worsening but is not 'out of control'. Schools re-opening next week with all staff wearing masks and no exceptions they said.

Oh I do love the nanny spell check!!!!! Oxford is seeing a rise in cases (and that's BEFORE students return!) and there is much in the local rags about going back into lockdown. We are about 15 miles outside the city centre in a smallish village so hoping that we'll escape if the worst comes to the worst.

401 cases yesterday here, which is the highest in about 2 months.  I am flying back to UK next week - anxiously watching Grant Schapps and fingers X!

OH is a keen cyclist, but even he is flummoxed as to why the Tour de France is going ahead.  It can't be safe, for anybody, but particularly the crowds watching.

There won't be any big crowds this year Daphne for the Tour as parking on the cols is forbidden and the start is behind barriers.

More doom this morning with 7400 new cases detected yesterday and hospital admissions rising. Spokesman for the Health Department said cases are rising exponentially and a second lockdown hasn't been ruled out. Mask wearing everywhere is now the norm, everyone has hand gel and knows the distancing rules so why we are in this situation puzzles me?

Just been watching the Tour de France ( love the scenery!).  Not much social distancing going on with those watching but the weather is so foul, there didn’t seem to be many.  Other than at the finishing line!   Very worried as intrepid second son, wife and baby planning to drive down to Spain next week.   It’ll be quiet where they are going to in Spain, but getting there - and back! Is worrying.   They aren’t worried about the 2 weeks quarantine when back as they work from home anyway.   

Yay - our Pilates class is re starting this evening (socially distanced mats, of course!) and I was so excited as it's another step on the road towards normality. However, it may be a one off due to the 'groups of 6' restrictions as of Monday. I can't work out if it will be allowed or not......again, a bit woolly. Equally, if this rule is being introduced to bring down infection rates why wait until Monday? As it seems the rise in infections is down to the younger generation in pubs, bars, parties etc surely best to bring it into force before the social madness of a Friday and Saturday evening? 

2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Yay - our Pilates class is re starting this evening (socially distanced mats, of course!) and I was so excited as it's another step on the road towards normality. However, it may be a one off due to the 'groups of 6' restrictions as of Monday

Is this my mum? I’ve just had exactly this conversation with her!,

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, mullethunter said:

Is this my mum? I’ve just had exactly this conversation with her!,

Yes dear, now go and tidy your room! Cheeky monkey, MH 😉! Seriously, apparently we are fine as it counts as organised sport - there was me thinking it was organised torture but then maybe that counts too!

ES is 16 on 18th (yikes, how did THAT happen?) and I have booked a waterpark for him and 6 mates.....kayaks, pedalos and paddle boards followed by giant aqua inflatables and have had a stressy day trying to find out if we are still 'on'. We are as they are all in the same bubble at school - phew!

16 hours ago, mullethunter said:

That’s only the case for Scotland

Oh as I live here I did not realise it was the case only here - its so confusing being between all the devolved governments.   Everyone and their families have come to  Scotland in camper vans in the last month or so - fed up of it - wild camping and rubbish everywhere.   We have just been in our little world at home for most of the pandemic - OH has COPD and we have kept away from people anyway.   Getting fed up seeing folks on holiday complaining about having to come home and self isolate and equally fed up of the large parties that are going on despite being told not to - can people not really just do what they are asked to and let us get this under control again.   Really its not that tough.  The folks with masks under their noses in the local shops and in our local co op folks coming back up the aisle when its one way.  Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old woman these days!!!