It's crazy - 4 outdoors but 30 inside!  Then again the rules here are just as crazy - as if covid only happens after 10pm.  There's a lot of ranting I'd like to do but I got on my soapbox too many times and it collapsed!  

That 30 inside 4 outside rule is bizarre, did they explain the reasoning?

Ive been very cautious about contact with people as I want to be able to see my mum. Still distanced, I sit outside and she sits by the patio window. I bought her a sheltered garden seat (for me really) so that she fretted less about me getting wet. It's an hr & qtr drive so I can't go too often and I don't use the toilet there.

7 minutes ago, Willow said:

That 30 inside 4 outside rule is bizarre, did they explain the reasoning?

Ive been very cautious about contact with people as I want to be able to see my mum. Still distanced, I sit outside and she sits by the patio window. I bought her a sheltered garden seat (for me really) so that she fretted less about me getting wet. It's an hr & qtr drive so I can't go too often and I don't use the toilet there.

In home situations you are supposed not to invite more than 3 people once a day right now. But I think they keep to the 30 indoors to keep theaters, cinemas etc going. And of course schools! Btw: we are still exempt from the 30 rule. I can have 32 students in a classroom and the 800+ students in the lunch hall is no problem either. But if the students are caught outside in groups of more than 4, they could be fined... 

We finally got a thermometer thingy too. And it boils down to everything closed in the end, but not schools. It says nothing about distancing students either.

I know there are lots of people much more affected than me right now. Lots of people losing their jobs etc and healthcare staff are up for it again. But I really don't understand this lack of measures in schools.

• Thanks 1

My niece-in-law is a teacher in the U.K. I'm similarly frustrated about the lack of measures in schools. Some tape has been put around her desk forming a 1 m exclusion zone in each direction that (in theory)  the pupils are not supposed to enter and she has to take her own lunch and spend all day at her desk with no interaction with colleagues. It must be very stressful for teachers. 

Since the various governments have now realised how vital the childcare provided by schools is to keep people working they could justify expenditure on measures in schools as supporting the economy.

My son is a teacher.  In his school in Surrey is finding that the main problem is getting tests back in a timely way when staff are ill.  As per usual, colds are going round and they have to test staff who have symptoms.  They have to isolate till the tests come back, so far all negative but sometimes they are off for a week.  

11 hours ago, Patricia W said:

My son is a teacher.  In his school in Surrey is finding that the main problem is getting tests back in a timely way when staff are ill.  As per usual, colds are going round and they have to test staff who have symptoms.  They have to isolate till the tests come back, so far all negative but sometimes they are off for a week.  

Same here. And after months we finally got the government to agree to give teachers and healthcare workers a quicker appointment and result. But somehow that resulted in people having to drive 2,5 hours single trip to get tested... 

I got poked and prodded today at a privet lab as I want to go to Germany next week. And you have to have a negative test to be able to go to Germany now. 
test was fine, just the prize made my eyes water...

• Haha 1