patsylabrador

Lockdown

Now that face coverings are mandatory I have bought two cloth masks each of differing designs. OH says that he is going to order the full face plastic visor with the headband and wear that. I don't think he can! All the advice that I have seen online (Gov't site so pukka!) is that a face covering should be made up of three layers which a plastic one clearly can't be. They are quite expensive to buy and I don't want to waste money. Thoughts, anyone?

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings in a Relevant Place) (England) Regulations 2020 states:

“face covering” means a covering of any type which covers a person’s nose and mouth

A plastic face visor does this, so it can be worn instead of a mask. 

Edited by Geoid
  • Thanks 2

They are developed to keep big droplets from reaching your eyes/mouth/nose and worn by healthcare professionals in combination with normal mouth/nose protection. They don’t protect in any way from the small aerosols that will float in the air for much longer and can still contain the virus and infect you. This is also why patients are kept in isolation chambers, because the virus particles will stay airborne for longer than a bigger droplet will.

This air WILL flow around the plastic guard and you will breath it in.

I saw an article a few days ago which said a research project had found that hairdressers should wear a mask as well as the visor as the visor was not sufficient protection.   Not sure where I saw it though.   I’ve only been in one shop since March 15th.  That was the hairdresser on Friday!  A two hour appointment.  Had the works so I now feel human again.  Wearing a mask ( disposable non medical ) was a bit strange but that and all the PPE etc around meant I felt comfortable.    Still aiming to live mostly online though I am meeting a friend next week to sit in the garden.  

Edited by Patricia W

4 hours ago, Geoid said:

think the law was meant to stop other people from spreading the virus, rather than stopping people from catching it.

Exactly that.

BUT a plastic visor would surely be less effective at preventing the finer droplets / aerosols from a cough / sneeze / exhale getting into the surrounding environment than a reasonably well fitting closely woven cloth face covering. As cattails says they don’t just go straight forwards but down and around the open edges of the visor too.

To answer Soapdragon’s original question, I think most people would accept that a visor was following the rules enough, but would probably be actually less effective than a face mask / covering.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blackrocksrock said:

yes 3 layers - I have made 2 layer masks for me and friends but not 3!  Suppose one could put a soft handkerchief in as the 3rd layer! 

The World Health Organisation recommends 3 layers and the Government recommends at least 2 layers. However, there is nothing in law that states that face coverings must have a certain amount of layers. As long as the covering covers your mouth and nose, you are complying with the regulations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are off to Mumbles, just beyond Swansea, a week today and have a selection of masks for both home and away including aforementioned visors, cloth masks and disposable (which I am dead against due to the environmental issues). Social distancing seems to be going by the board anyway and I am not convinced that the wearing masks situation helps this; I have a theory that some think that masks negate the need to social distance...not so!

And there are still people that see no need for distancing, mask or not. Had to bark at an older gentleman, who was standing right behind me in the till line. Also asked a lady if the tag of my t-shirt was showing. She didn’t understand... well love, you’re so close that it looks like you are trying to read it...

Edited by Cat tails

Does anyone know what the law/guidance is requiring cab drivers to wear masks? I have just seen a neighbour obliged to turn away a taxi cab because the driver wasn't wearing, and refused to wear a mask. A short while later, I saw the same driver being asked to wear a mask in the kiosk at a petrol station - he refused again.

59 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Does anyone know what the law/guidance is requiring cab drivers to wear masks? I have just seen a neighbour obliged to turn away a taxi cab because the driver wasn't wearing, and refused to wear a mask. A short while later, I saw the same driver being asked to wear a mask in the kiosk at a petrol station - he refused again.

Did you get the taxi company details from the side of the vehicle? If so then I'd be inclined to call the company to find out what their policy is.........even if he didn't have to wear one as a taxi driver then he should, out of courtesy, don one when requested.

I have seen on MSN this morning that there are tourists in the West Country who are complaining that shop, cafe staff are wearing masks because they (ie; the tourists) have gone away on holiday to escape 'all that'....................ye Gods, some people just shouldn't be allowed out, Covid or no!