patsylabrador

Lockdown

43 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

I had an e mail from a friend this morning; 'If you haven't put on at least a stone in weight, become a raving alcoholic and have hair that looks like you've been repeatedly dragged through a hedge backwards then you haven't been taking lockdown seriously!' I'm not quite that bad (yet!) but getting there!

I saw the same meme, but that’s not quite an exact quote, is it.....

Family friendly forum and all that.

• Haha 1

So we went back to the tip with an internet booked appointment (all very efficient and organised now): we can go once a week and not more often. Greeted by the same 'jobsworth' at 3 metres, no masks and our window wound down. She spotted our cute dog and rushed over, stuck herself head first through the window of the van to fuss her !! So much for social distancing.

• Haha 2

I'm done. The rules are farcical, I've always thought this total lockdown was unnecessary. I've meekly complied with the rules but now marches and protests are being allowed in London presumably by the mayor who has been telling us not to use tubes, buses and now cars to go into London. Thank goodness they're starting to back down on the international travel quarantine. I don't see the point in it now if they didn't do it in March. 

I also hate the term 'new normal'. Things have only been different for 12 weeks, why would that have such an enormous impact on centuries of gradual progress. 

I'm feeling very frustrated again. It's all too muddled and lots of the rules are too draconian. 

We never had a true lockdown, but had similar things you are experiencing right now. Whole parks and such locked off because people are idiots and still thought it necessary to have their picknick etc. 

Now back to teaching at school, but still having to maintain 1,5 m distance. So can only have about half of the number of students in classrooms. So teaching to rooms at the same time and some kids having to sit in the hallway...

I rather keep online teaching online, than this organisation mess!

We've been at phase 1 for three weeks now and it's at that time, if there is going to be one, a second wave will start to show. Well today they changed the reporting, so no mortality, no hospitalisation figures and just a statement to say the number in intensive care is lower than it was a week ago. That says to me that the rate of infection is going back upwards. Problem is the Country is in such a financial and psychological mess, returning to lockdown is impossible anyway. We've had demonstrations here as well; an ethnic minority death 4 years ago has had new evidence of Police custodial brutality presented.

I am amazed at how lockdown went, everyone staying in, save the NHS , yes I get it and then planes landing ,people unchecked, untraceable. This is an island, look at New Zealand, if anyone could/should have got it right it should have been here.

Now vaguely worded messages to shielded people, so they can interpret as they please. My daughter had third liver transplant, this time last year, horrific time, would not adequately describe it, very rocky post op. She stayed alone in her flat,totally shielded. Now,as she has interpreted it she can go out as much as she wants ,while avoiding people on street. Really. She doesn’t wear mask, as she thinks they are for other people. 
I feel he has reverted to his plan of herd immunity and hoping these young people at beaches get mild cases and boost herd immunity.

I live beside beach, deserted 40 weeks of year, and now swarming with teens that should be at school or studying for exams. They stay until 4 am,and of course toilets are shut and they are using rocks, hedges as toilets. 

• Sad 1

Spent the morning queuing at bank then grabbed 2 flat whites and called on M one of my ladies. She was distressed as neighbour has put up a new high fence.  Advised her as hes offered to get stuff from shops for her it's not likely a personal thing. She lives in upstairs flat. I sit on a fold up chair she sits in in her hall. She very likely got mental health difficulties but we got off subject of fences and talked cats, her favourite actor Tim Healy and other trivia. I left feeling prob not done a great job, but OH rang to say she had called to say how much I cheered her up, she was tearful but happier. 

OH had spoken to L another of our ladies but said he thought she wanted to talk to me. I have sent email to Radio 2 as its volunteers week and hope they will mention our charity. So tired and frustrated at fact normality seems a long way off. Elderly are struggling. Anyway onwards and upwards. Stay safe. 

6 hours ago, Beantree said:

We've been at phase 1 for three weeks now and it's at that time, if there is going to be one, a second wave will start to show. Well today they changed the reporting, so no mortality, no hospitalisation figures and just a statement to say the number in intensive care is lower than it was a week ago. That says to me that the rate of infection is going back upwards. Problem is the Country is in such a financial and psychological mess, returning to lockdown is impossible anyway. We've had demonstrations here as well; an ethnic minority death 4 years ago has had new evidence of Police custodial brutality presented.

These are the figures for the last 24 hours Beantree, they publish everyday

figures.JPG

On 5/25/2020 at 9:24 PM, patsylabrador said:

I have let my hair grow long and grey against all the fashion advice and I love it. I read a lot about how it looks best short and that hair goes co***** and all sorts of stuff that I ignored and it's now long and wavy and I'm proud of my grey. 

Had another mooch into London today. Making the most of it before the mayor tries to shut it down. It's definitely busier and a few shops have opened up with counters across the doorways to serve people. I like that, it's a good idea. Clapham Common was very busy but all the people I saw, who were mainly young were having fun and looking relaxed and being responsible. It felt good. We did a drive thru Starbucks and a drive thru KFC just because we could and it felt like a holiday. 

😂 I was trying to write coa. rse! 

PL I think that your hair looks amazing - it's a real statement of who you are and looks very elegant.

• Thanks 1

Remaining with the hair theme.....I cut ES hair today and he still has ears! However, the hairdressing scissors are getting a bit blunt. I am not sure if I can sharpen them using the steel that we use for the kitchen knives? Any thoughts before I tackle the next desperate member of the family? 

My daughter in law gave my son a trim with the dog clippers.  Looked very good!   Went out in the car today for the first time since 15th March!  I waved as we went past the turn to your village, Soapy.  Sat in daughter’s garden with the grandchildren for half an hour.  Wonderful!    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:17 PM, Patricia W said:

My daughter in law gave my son a trim with the dog clippers.  Looked very good!   Went out in the car today for the first time since 15th March!  I waved as we went past the turn to your village, Soapy.  Sat in daughter’s garden with the grandchildren for half an hour.  Wonderful!    

Sorry that I didn't wave back Tricia - I was very probably 'Alan Titchmarshing' my veg at the time! (Suggest adopting appropriate Alan accent) I'm worried about blossom end rot on me cordons! 😎

Lockdown has also highlighted the fact that I am very clearly THE ONLY PERSON IN OUR HOUSE WHO CAN LOAD A DISHWASHER! Sorry to shout but honestly, is it that hard? I am constantly re arranging crockery and can't understand why you'd fill a dishwasher from the front rather than back! As the only female in the house maybe it's just a bloke thing?

Off for a lie down!

Edited by soapdragon
Haste

Grandm where is this wonderful cafe which is

open. Most you can get round here is take away. And mighty fine too. But I dont want to have to pack and unpack dishwasher (SD feel your pain) . And it would be nice to be waited on. Talking of dishwashers I usually unpack ours at work but the other say receptionist A hissed at me "let H do it she never  does it " so I did. Mighty good it felt too. 🤣

Dont want much in life except normality.  Stay safe lovely Omleters 

Edited by Alis girls

Ali’s girls, it’s in N Ireland , The Starfish, part of Cairn Bay Lodge  B and B . It only opened last week for takeaway. Only one person allowed in small room at back.Then collected at table at front. It has nice grassy area at front and they have made the most of it with seating.  I said to OH we will have to go for lunch with the boys to support local businesses and hoped to go tomorrow or Sat ,but weather is to be awful. Which is a shame for all these retailers trying to make up for weeks lost.

I'm worried about the impact on my borough if Heathrow doesn't get up and running properly soon. There are households where everyone works for Heathrow in one capacity or another plus all the businesses that exist because of Heathrow. I read a report that said around 42,000 households could be affected. I guess it's a similar problem around all the airports and seaports around the world. Its a worry. I'm hoping that things will quickly change from Monday as life starts up. 

Only one of us works for Heathrow and she has managed to keep going so far so we've been lucky. 

Personally I think that going from 2m to 1m social distance would make a huge difference to many, many aspects of life. Not sure why we have 2m when the rest of the world seems to go with 1m?

ES, although year 10, is only getting 1 Teams tutorial per subject per week from next week. We were told that they could go into school but that, because they have to stay in their bubble of 15 students with the same teacher all the time, it would not be possible to give them actual face to face teacher time - all they'd be doing would be working through the online stuff that they've been given so really no point going in. YS goes for his walk once a day and that's it. He hasn't been in touch with any of his friends and refuses to make contact - I've offered to set up a socially distanced walk etc but he's not interested. I worry. Primary will, it seems, all be back in some form before the summer break and some year 10 students will be in school but that leaves years 7,8 and 9 with nothing. By the time September comes they will have been out of school for 6 months. Yes, they have time to catch up before GCSE but mentally and socially it's a disaster.