patsylabrador

Lockdown

12 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Does anyone know what the law/guidance is requiring cab drivers to wear masks? I have just seen a neighbour obliged to turn away a taxi cab because the driver wasn't wearing, and refused to wear a mask. A short while later, I saw the same driver being asked to wear a mask in the kiosk at a petrol station - he refused again.

Schedule 1 of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings in a Relevant Place) (England) Regulations 2020 states that a mask must be worn in: 

1. A shop

2.  Enclosed shopping centres, excluding any area in that building which is open to the public and where seating or tables are made available for the consumption of food and drink.

3.  Banks, building societies, credit unions, short-term loan providers, savings clubs and undertakings which by way of business operate a currency exchange office, transmit money (or any representation of money) by any means or cash cheques which are made payable to customers.

4.  Post Offices.

If he was in the kiosk at a petrol station, a mask needs to be worn, as it is a shop. 

On 8/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, Cat tails said:

I had an older lady yelling at a youngish lad that a condom on your balls was just as useful as a mask below your nose! That made me laugh! 😂😂

My sister sent me a similar thing.

It's also based on masks being worn under your nose.  A quote saying wearing your mask like this (under your nose) is like wearing your boxer shorts like this with a cartoon of a young man with his w...y hanging over the top of his boxer shorts.

I wish I knew how to get the picture off my phone onto here as it is a lot funnier than I've described.

I'm thinking I might like to get a T-shirt printed with it on  - on the front and back :lol:

1 minute ago, Luvachicken said:

My sister sent me a similar thing.

It's also based on masks being worn under your nose.  A quote saying wearing your mask like this (under your nose) is like wearing your boxer shorts like this with a cartoon of a young man with his w...y hanging over the top of his boxer shorts.

I wish I knew how to get the picture off my phone onto here as it is a lot funnier than I've described.

I'm thinking I might like to get a T-shirt printed with it on  - on the front and back :lol:

Make that 2 please, Luvvie!

10 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

If I now get blocked, it’s your fault!  😂

55C2CCCD-9D9B-4BCE-AA0F-3CD5C116D8EE.jpeg

Edited by Cat tails
  • Haha 3

Rather surprised at the announcement of a 14 day quarantine period for people arriving from France. As a result our friends are returning to England two weeks earlier than planned so that they can start work on the planned day. There are two areas where the virus is deemed to be 'circulating freely' and we are nowhere near them. One is Paris and the other the region around St Tropez. Masks in all public places, both interior and exterior, is now the norm almost everywhere and will be everywhere by the end of the week, testing programmes in problem areas are underway and there is no reason I can see to think the situation is out of control, although increasing numbers are worrying. The number of new cases per day has risen from 1000 to 2700 over the past three weeks and this has prompted mask wearing everywhere, which hopefully will work.

I can't help thinking that this quarantine is a sneaky way of keeping people from going abroad for their holidays and therefore assisting the current financial performance of the UK, which is the worst in Europe according to figures published a few days ago here. Can't see anyone risking going anywhere and being potentially faced with 14 days isolation afterwards.

A news report says there are steps being taken to bring the price of disposable masks down. At the moment they cost 15 cents to make, but after profits, transport and tax we have to pay over 50 cents each. Something else annoying is the straps breaking, so you need to carry several just in case, as warnings stopped today and the €135 fine is now being issued.

I am not surprised at the 14 day quarantine from France as you stated new cases have risen significantly and the situation is not good - why should we have this brought back to the UK - we all knew this may happen and I think people going on their summer holidays to these places knew the risks.   Goodness I have hardly been away from home at all since March and would not even consider going 45 miles to a local big town yet far less eat out!   Have only been to town 14 miles away to click and collect and go to diy store to do same.

Disposable masks are expensive so why not make or buy cloth ones - they are cheap to buy and wash well and also easy to make.  I see disposable ones are being disposed of all over the place and not in bins so why dont they take them home and dispose of them there.   The pictures on Facebook show this and are not good.  The littering photos are very disappointing and show that some people love to travel to the countryside but then leave it like a pig sty.  Sorry rant over.

I'm pretty sure its to do with the cases per 100,000 head of population Beantree.  Its high in France and over the threshold that Grant Schapps mentioned today, which is 20.  Its higher than that in Portugal as well.  I think the UK Govt is doing the right thing, as we see in NZ and Australia how very low numbers can quickly get out of control.  Here in Portugal most of the cases are in Lisbon, but the Govt didn't lock down quick enough, and the numbers continue to fluctuate, so we will have to wait it out as well.  

Perhaps the UK was right as the number of new cases in France yesterday rose again to 2846. Our two 'hot' areas are around 46 / 100,000 Daphne, which is pretty high when Leicester was locked down again at 36 I think? But where we are we had 4 new cases last week in a population of 280,000. Apparently cases in the age group 25-35 are up 40% and they are the ones being blamed for causing the problem.

News headlines this morning were 'The exodus of the English' where they interviewed Ferry, Tunnel and Eurostar passengers who had cut their holidays short to get back before 4.00 am. Too far to drive to get back from here in time though.

Well good news for Portugal Daphne, but France is in a real mess now. The 4 regional 'hot' spots are around 80/ 100,000, there were 37 new virus centres identified yesterday of which 25% are Companies (up from 21 yesterday) and now 4800 new cases in a day also (up from 3700 and the highest since April). According to an article on the news this morning they have evidence that the virus has mutated slightly and now transmits much more easily but is slightly less potent. So the number in hospital remains constant, even with a massive rise of infections. Seems the masks aren't working? Lots of talk about a second lockdown as well, because a second wave has started.

Some good news though: our Cou-Nu must be older than first thought (bought at probably 16 weeks not 12) and one has made the first attempts at laying (eggs dropped off the perch). Unfortunately they have the smallest yolks I've ever seen!

Lets hope its just because she's a new layer, it would be a disaster otherwise, unless you are a fan of meringue!  Or can you just egg white to fine wine, I can't remember.

Anyway, yes it is good news on Portugal, I just have to chat it through with my Mum now.  I am pretty certain if I don't take advantage to travel now, I may not see her till 2021.  The figures for France, however are bad.  I like the fact you have more detailed knowledge than the rest of us, it must be a bit comforting because you feel better informed, we just get the headline numbers about France and a bit about various cities entering lockdown.  I spoke to friends in NZ this morning and they are on the South Island where there are no cases.  But they cancelled a trip last week to the North Island, just in case, after the Auckland outbreak even though they were flying to Wellington and heading South.  They take it so seriously, which is good, obviously.

Zabaglione is egg white and wine I think?   I think the country figures we see in headlines mask the fact that the rise is usually localised hotspots, mostly urban, rather than country wide.  Some countries give traffic light colours to particular areas and impose quarantine only for returnees from this areas.   

Detailed stats for U.K down to postcode level is on the Office for National Statistics website, Daphne

Thanks for that Patricia, my Mum was asking so I will take a look for her.  I see I had a typo, I meant to say can you use egg white to fine wine, where you add it at some point to try to improve it.  It is possible I am getting mixed up with consomme!

Just been on the news that a new infection centre has been found. Nothing new about that as they are still finding about 40 a day, but this one was a Naturist Club on the Med coast. Apparently 800 people have been tested and 30% are positive, so no evidence of distancing guidelines being met and it points heavily to the contrary!

A statement yesterday said that the virus was NOT becoming more easily transmittable or less potent. The reason the positive tests are now at the highest daily level since April is simply because the under 40's are not taking social distancing seriously and their rate of infection is now 4x the rate of the over 65's. Whilst more testing can explain some of the increase, positive results now account for 3% of those tested, whereas a month ago it was only 1%.

There won't be another general lockdown here, just local ones in hotspots. People are complaining about masks; it's not wearing them but the cost. Spotted 3 people on the TV this morning with masks under their noses and one with a visor and no mask, so some people 'don't get it' here either.

• Like 1

I took my 86 year old mum into Henley on Thames today to get her ears syringed and there were lots of cafes and coffee shops filled with people. Seemingly you can just walk in - when we were on holiday in Wales a couple of weeks ago we were able to walk in to places to eat but, if they had had enough prior bookings which is likely to happen on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (the Eat out to Help Out days) then prospective 'walk ins' would be turned away. However, if you know that you want to go somewhere specific in advance then I think booking is sensible to ensure a table.

More bothered re lack of cleaning and the fact many morons in cafes dont wear masks when ordering and breathe all over everyone else. I have mastered art of scowling over my mask. Fed up with the idiots in this country. 

Edited by Alis girls

Saw on the UK news that France has imposed quarantine on British visitors, but no mention of that on French news channels. Seems pointless to me.

Other news was that the Chinese have had the first case of re-infection, so the previous theory that some people don't develop antibodies and can catch it again has been proven.