patsylabrador

Lockdown

Love that Derek!

OH has announced that he will be going to work in London when lockdown is lifted.  I'm not happy - told him to stay there!  But just for one day as he usually stops over with his parents - which he has said he doesn't want to risk giving them anything - but quite happy to bring it home here!  Gee thanks dear!

So question is how do other people manage when one is in the risky zone of being over 60 and asthmatic?  The one working has heart issues although that's OK and is on tablets, plus has a risk of being diabetic while that is well under control.  Are they banished to opposite ends of the house?  Banned from the kitchen?  It's so weird having to work out a plan of action just in case!

That is a puzzle Lovely. I think that you'll need to drill into OH about the risks and. the precautions that he needs to take in order to stay safe and prevent bringing anything home. Especially as you have been fairly effectively isolated down there, and he will be mixing in a whole new pool of viral and bacterial hazards... to his health and yours. I lived and worked in London for 12 years, and one's immune system becomes used to it, but that was BC (Before Covid).

I don't need to tell you that this virus has lingering after effects and one of them is heart damage - even in healthy folks.

Can this work not be done remotely?

Rotterdam just won lockdown! They gave a drone show above the Maas with about 300 drones forming a red beating heart. ❤️

It’s the first Dutch city to ban fireworks other than professional shows and I really hope this is the future.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

That is amazing - how did they do it without crashing into one another?

I hope so too - I have one dog who is very afraid of fireworks, and we  had some here last night.

I think they programme them beforehand. And they work like a flock of birds, to keep a certain distance at all times. I think it’s amazing though!

5 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

That is a puzzle Lovely. I think that you'll need to drill into OH about the risks and. the precautions that he needs to take in order to stay safe and prevent bringing anything home. Especially as you have been fairly effectively isolated down there, and he will be mixing in a whole new pool of viral and bacterial hazards... to his health and yours. I lived and worked in London for 12 years, and one's immune system becomes used to it, but that was BC (Before Covid).

I don't need to tell you that this virus has lingering after effects and one of them is heart damage - even in healthy folks.

Can this work not be done remotely?

He was supposed to have taken early retirement after the heart attack! So now back to full time!  But things are in a huge mess at the office so he will be going in to sort that out.  Seems that while he has been away from London, the office girl has been doing very little and they are only just discovering how bad things have become as a result!    So back to high stress levels for him.  

Unfortunately the 5 days a week working session means he isn't helping me.   The only time likely is at the weekend and if it rains, then I'm scuppered.  I think I need to forget about "asking his advice" when I want something done and just go ahead and do - except that is likely to make him feel disappointed that he wasn't involved - or (more usually) stand there making comments of how I shouldn't be doing something - but at least I will have tried.  I think it was Harry Enfield's character who kept saying something like "you don't want to do that!"  :roll:   Maybe I'll put his bed in with the chickens.😤

From your post it sort of reads that OH needs to sort out the mess and then may be step back a bit? Is there any way that you could get him to negotiate a 3/4 day week on health grounds? Perhaps have a discussion on a Sunday evening about what your plans are for the following week and ask for comments so that he feels on board. Please don't take too much upon yourself though.....not good for you! Is there a teenager in the village who would like to earn a little extra (or even a more mature person who would work for extra veggies etc - I would!) just for a bit of extra help?

• Like 1

Valkyrie I can feel your disappointment about having some of the life you wanted and thought you had finally got taken away again (albeit hopefully temporarily).

I agree with soapy’s suggestions - if you could get something like that to work it’d be good, and yes try to have a natter on a Sunday night about bits and pieces you’re thinking of doing during the week. But then I think, as far as is possible for you, just do as you said and go ahead and do what you want to do even if you’re having to do it on your own. Yes, there might be a bit of grumbling about it but you can’t just spend the entire weeks doing nothing. 

Really feel for you actually xx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Valkyrie I can feel your disappointment about having some of the life you wanted and thought you had finally got taken away again (albeit hopefully temporarily).

I agree with soapy’s suggestions - if you could get something like that to work it’d be good, and yes try to have a natter on a Sunday night about bits and pieces you’re thinking of doing during the week. But then I think, as far as is possible for you, just do as you said and go ahead and do what you want to do even if you’re having to do it on your own. Yes, there might be a bit of grumbling about it but you can’t just spend the entire weeks doing nothing. 

Really feel for you actually xx

Me too Kerry, and big squishy marshmallow hugs from me.

• Like 1

Thank you all and big hugs from me.  He does find it hard to step back - the office girl has been furloughed for the lockdown and will be made redundant - she had 4 months notice and leaves in June.  As it is half his company and his partner doesn't do so well on the admin side - they really need each other.  They will close the company down in 2 years when the lease runs out and retire.  Or sell it.  But who knows what lies ahead in this new world!  Anyway enough of the hubby rant - I thank you for your patience and kindness - I jumped into anxiety mode without being rational.  I will set up the blackboard and chalk and make him sit down while I point out my strategy for dealing with him and CV - bet he can't stay out of the kitchen.  I'm going to make myself several Scooby snacks and lock myself away. :lol:

Meanwhile I've pottered in the greenhouse and made up some more beds.  It's actually getting easier because the plastic membrane has killed off everything underneath!  I'm now organising myself so that I have a routine - but animals come first!  And then I sew - because I'm working on the wedding quilt I have to make sure my hands are shiny clean so that the dirt and compost doesn't transfer!  Yikes!  And because nobody else is around, I chopped the legs off my trousers and now have shorts!  Not a pretty sight but it felt a lot easier to work out there!:lol:  I also have to remind myself that I am lucky - extremely lucky.  

Er, there are 4 children in the village, one is a year old and the 3 children next door are at boarding school - all quiet now!

Seems the new thoughts on the virus is that it was around in October in China.  So perhaps I have had it!  My neighbour told me that a young lad she used to look after went to Europe and came back to London.  From there visited college friends in Cardiff.  Fell very ill, high temperature and the cough - his dad is a doctor.  Came home and his mum - a nurse caught it and eventually the husband.  That was in December.  Now at that time nobody was dying so had to go under the radar.  This fellow in France, where he had been treated for pneumonia was also in December and they tested his samples.  So this is getting curiouser and curiouser!  Speculations R Me!  xxxxx

So, all the brouhaha yesterday about the highly incompetent professor who said we should all hide in our homes but doesn't think he should and his climate activist mistress who also thinks she's too special to comply. We're not going to 'beat' the virus, we have to live with it like every other virus we come up against. I believe that if we hadn't ever been told about it we would have carried on as normal and as winter shut down the NHS would have said That was a very bad winter, please get your flu jabs this year. Children wouldn't have been denied education, businesses wouldn't be failing and I would have seen my grandson. 

• Like 4

We've ordered some masks from the local supermarket and should be told today when they will be ready for collection. 50 disposable type 2 (70% filtration) for €30. We chose disposable because the washable ones need 30 minutes at 60C and come in different grades depending on how many times they can be washed. Homemade ones can be next to useless: depends on the material used. The chemists are rather upset that supermarkets are being allowed to sell masks though.

Portugal is gently easing lockdown, from Monday small shops have opened, alongside hairdressers and the local PO, and you exercise on a bicycle!  There were people out and about on the street, which I haven't seen (from the car!) for a while. Masks are mandatory in shops, so we bought some single use ones for 1.20 each, from the pharmacy.  I still feel vulnerable so won't be going out any time soon, but large shops and cafes will open on 18th May, and football recommences at the end of the month I think.  Obviously the Govt will monitor and close down again, if our cases spike, but the rates of new cases and deaths are pretty low here, unlike the UK.  I think its partly because travel restrictions have been a bit more draconian and in any case people travel less. Also most of the country is sp*****ly populated, the centres of infection are the cities, but we only have 3 large ones and they are tiny compared to the UK.  

8 hours ago, Beantree said:

We've ordered some masks from the local supermarket and should be told today when they will be ready for collection. 50 disposable type 2 (70% filtration) for €30. We chose disposable because the washable ones need 30 minutes at 60C and come in different grades depending on how many times they can be washed. Homemade ones can be next to useless: depends on the material used. The chemists are rather upset that supermarkets are being allowed to sell masks though.

OH has been emptying boxes in the garage - from when we moved in - and found proper heavy duty masks.  You could say he found buried treasure!  He has another very heavy duty one that he bought when we first arrived because the surveyor thought we might have asbestos in the loft, so OH had to take samples and send them off.  Fortunately it wasn't asbestos, just plaster board.  We have some lightweight ones but they aren't that good - used some when we were using the dremel and cutting tiles - so much dust!  I suppose they did work to some extent - not so sure about the virus!

That rude word is the same as I have tried to post before......sp*****ly ....as in not very many! Makes me laugh each time I see it has been blocked! I have made some masks from old shirts although everything tells me that masks are to stop the wearer spreading rather than picking up on other people's germs!

Oh darn it, the word 'sparesley'  deliberate mispelled there! has been edited! I'll beat the system yet!!!!

Edited by soapdragon

Yes - it is a false sense of security if you believe it will prevent the virus getting in - you'd need swimming goggles or as I said before - buy a motorcycle crash helmet! :lol:  Although I gather if you have the virus, then it is contained in your own mask - hopefully.

9 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yes - it is a false sense of security if you believe it will prevent the virus getting in - you'd need swimming goggles or as I said before - buy a motorcycle crash helmet! :lol:  Although I gather if you have the virus, then it is contained in your own mask - hopefully.

Well... I’ll be safe then! 😂

But it won’t even contain the virus perfectly, unless you don’t touch the mask, when you are wearing it. 

From June 1st people using the public transport in the Netherlands must wear masks. But not medical masks according to our MP as those need to stay available to healthcare. But we can make our own... right... that’s going to make a difference!

In the meantime I ordered myself and my mom a face mask from Playmobil. Soft washable plastic with a bit which you can stick a filter in. It’s not going to make a difference, but it’s lighter and less hot to wearing my crash helmet!!! 😂

• Haha 1

Well I think I'll just stay at home.  :lol:  The plus side is I've lost weight.  So back down to where I was before my gallbladder was removed (before the pre-op diet and then it really fell off) at least it has stabilised and I'll be continuing - basically no goodies to nibble on.  Frustrating no choccy but that is a good thing.  Not quite at the gnawing at chair legs yet.

I've been sitting here trying to work out the rude word😂 I once posted about a female dog and used the word ***** and it wasnt allowed, but times have changed. 

The mask situation is tricky. I wear at work if patients come in but find I end up coughing more and my mouth and nose get dry. 

Otherwise I wear at supermarket only as some people there dont understand social distancing and glaring with a mask on really doesnt work. I ended up snarling "2 metres "to some jerk who got too close. I have asthma too. 

I fully believe this virus was around late last year. I am holding out for antibody test. However we dont know how long we are immune for. 

I think I might have alien plant in my garden , that's coming out today. 

Stay safe folks. 

• Like 1

On the news this morning was a report of 9 people in the Dordogne catching the virus at a funeral, despite conforming to the safety requirements. The distance is only one metre here and as I've said before I think that is inadequate. Restrictions are being relaxed on Monday so, expecting chaos, we're staying in for a few more weeks to see what happens. Masks will be compulsory in town and on public transport, with a €135 fine for failing to wear one.

I've started a 30 day squat challenge. Leggings, lycra pants and so on and so forth are more popular than ever, with EVERYONE and nobody is covering up their butts and I'm seeing a lot of horrors that have inspired me to do some  exercises for my own rear end. I downloaded an app with a good plan to follow. 

Also, if face covering becomes a thing on public transport, what will you wear? I have some biker bandanas. I guess that sort of thing would do? 

Am sure I look "lovely" in my leggings and a long t shirt!   I dread to think' putting on jeans whether they will fit.  Too much baking going on.

we have to wear face coverings up here or rather it's recommended.   Sewed my own and wore it when had to go to pharmacy for a prescription and I must admit was the only one and the two people waiting outside to go in gave me strange looks but I don't care.   Best to be safe.