patsylabrador

Lockdown

Yes, I saw photos of North Devon, around Woolacombe, you can't begin to imagine what goes on in some people's heads.

Soapdragon - I hope you get your hip sorted, it sounds terrible, so unlike the experience I know my Mum had, I thought her experience was normal.  I am not surprised you and CT are grumpy.  I really hope you can manage the pain, its not funny.

• Thanks 1

On the news this morning was that some of the beaches opened here last week have already been closed again because there were too many people on them. The Police are out in force from today because it's a Bank Holiday weekend and Parisians will try to break the 100Km travel rule to get to the Normandy beaches. They are easy to spot though as the number plates show where the car was first registered.

8 hours ago, Blackrocksrock said:

And there are no toilet facilities open for all these people !!!

That was exactly my first reaction! Apparently there have been horrible reports of people 'improvising'....grrrr. I wouldn't mind betting that there's a fair amount of litter too as everyone would have had to take their 'eats' with them. What is the matter with some folk 😡?

Thanks Daphne.......mobility is great and I run up and down stairs at every opportunity but there is still a lot of muscle discomfort (14 weeks ago last Tuesday so well 'on the road'!) plus that darned bursitis. It will resolve, with time!

Oh naughty hip Soapy.  Hope the pain goes soon!  

Yes - the thought of all the poo and rubbish around is awful.  They just don't have the brains to think about consequences - more likely don't care. That me me me attitude. Infuriates me to the nth degree. Now that sounds like I'm being a nimby - but if they bring more of the virus with them then it just prolongs the danger for everyone around - and country-wide, not just here - the last thing people want is another wave and extended quarantine.  

I never get the whole beach thing anyway. The last thing I want to do on a hot day is drive for miles with only a limited amount of water and sit on a beach and share toilets with hundreds of people. If the weather is very hot I want to be at home. 

I feel very sorry for people all over the place really. This was inevitable and although I don't like what's happened I'm certainly not going to judge anyone. This year has been rubbish. Not nearly as bad as this time 100 years ago but pretty rubbish all the same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, patsylabrador said:

I never get the whole beach thing anyway. The last thing I want to do on a hot day is drive for miles with only a limited amount of water and sit on a beach and share toilets with hundreds of people. If the weather is very hot I want to be at home. 

I couldn’t agree more!

2 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

Yes....ish.

This lockdown enforcing my and my family's confinement to our house and garden has really driven home just how lucky we are to have plenty of space. I SERIOUSLY don't find a trip to the seaside appealing, but if I lived in a flat with only a window box for greenery, that beach - with or without others there - would definitely look very tempting.

Oh, and I agree with your later comment about not judging, for precisely that reason.

Edited by majorbloodnock
Afterthought

I can't think of anything worse than being stuck indoors for months with increasingly grumpy OH and 'children' (where we can at least move from room to room and avoid each other) and, after being told that we can go out for a day, making a concious descision (sp?) to be strapped into in a (hot) metal box with said grumpy relations for any length of time at all!      Or am I missing the point 🙄.

No you arent . Never been hugely fond of beaches. Sand in places you dont want it, 🙄traffic jams - no - prefer my garden. Being a lady of a certain age the heat at present makes me cranky.

And in normal times public loos are a petri dish of bacteria. 

All of you who say you don’t like beaches - I sort of get that, but maybe you’ve just always been doing it wrong!!

Last August bank holiday I was working on, amongst other places, Polzeath beach. The lifeguards estimated there were 4000 people on the beach and another 500 in the water!!! It was practically standing room only - I genuinely couldn’t understand why anyone would have not got back in their car and left (well apart from the fact that the car park was totally gridlocked!) - it was just horrendous.

But it doesn’t have to be like that. Even in Cornwall, even in the summer you can find quiet, out of the way spots. Ever since I was 15 I’ve picked the spot in the rocks at the side of the beach where no one can see me and I’m on my own, or walked around the cliffs to find an out of the way hidden platform with just the sky above and the sea below. There’s nothing better than that. Although, to be fair, I suppose strictly speaking that isn’t always ‘going to the beach’. And I agree, I can’t think of anything worse that packing up the car with deck chairs, sun break, cool box, plates and cutlery...kill me now! The most I ever have is my backpack with wetsuit, snorkel, fins and towel.

Sorry - got lost in a fantasy trip there 🤣 Each to their own.

D07714F7-F246-4D28-82D2-3433A748D79B.jpeg

F877DF94-F24D-43A2-9CA3-A30A30017767.jpeg

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 2

Mullethunter, that does look perfect. I think I divide the coast in my head into the seaside which is rock pools and pebbly beaches with minimal people and then beaches which are crowded and commercial. I think you feel like I do when people complain about London. I always feel defensive and think that they are doing London wrong. I like your pictures of the beach. I could spend time there quite happily. 

• Thanks 1

I think the problem is that "a trip to the seaside" doesn't just involve travelling until you've run out of land and then spending some time there. It's a phrase that deserves its own capital letters: "A Trip to the Seaside", since it's loaded with significance in the same way that "the mother-in-law" is a Les Dawson-esque parody of a maternal despot, not just a parent of one's spouse.

I grew up - and still live - close enough to the coast for spontaneous visits to be practical. As a result, I, and my kids since, have developed a great love of beachcombing. I love being on the sea and I find coastal wildlife fascinating, so it's a destination of choice when availability of time and camera coincide. There's also something about the glint of light off some wet mud flats once the tide has gone out that is powerful enough I an almost smell the salt just thinking about it. However, I do not, have never and never will own an inflatable, and firmly believe barbecues are best kept for gardens and campsites. Oh, and a "Kiss me quick" hat has just been misspelt; obviously they had a surfeit of Ss when they ran out of Ls.

• Haha 2

MH...I am soooo jealous! Sunbathing on packed beaches; no thanks. Beachcombing on secluded windswept, rocky beaches with caves, rockpools etc;YES! As we should now be packing up the car to motor up to Gower I shall, in spirit, be spending next week on the beach at Bracelet Bay!

• Like 1

I've seen some amazing pictures of clear skies now in major cities combined what they looked like before lockdown which was horrendous. Apparently the Himalayas have been seen for the first time in 30 years from one city in India. It is very quiet here with no air traffic aside from some occasional military flights.

But there is a down side. Has anyone noticed their plant leaves getting burned, or perhaps your skin? We're having tomato plants badly affected and we need suncream on already. I can only put that down to the huge reduction in air pollution. We used to have a dozen flights over us every day throwing out exhaust fumes, but not at the moment.

I have been enjoying this too - we rarely get commercial planes going over - only the over spill from Birmingham in peak times. Ours are usually just light aircraft, military stuff and loads of helicopters when Silverstone is on. Almost zilch recently, even a slight reduction in military craft.

The skies are much clearer and this is most noticeable at night, when the stars are out.

I almost always wear sunscreen and a hat when outdoors, despite having Mediterranean skin. Taters look a bit scorched though..... they'll be fine.

There were some satellite images that I saw of pollution before and during lockdown - massive difference... mainly due to China shutting down apparently.

Having glanced in the sitting room mirror just now as I wafted past I wondered who had let Medusa in! I have a hair appointment for 9th July (counting the days) but have just realised that the dog groomers down the road is open................................................................................................................

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2020 at 5:21 PM, soapdragon said:

Having glanced in the sitting room mirror just now as I wafted past I wondered who had let Medusa in! I have a hair appointment for 9th July (counting the days) but have just realised that the dog groomers down the road is open................................................................................................................

I actually asked the dog groomer (when I took the hounds 3 weeks ago) if she could cut mine too.

I am soooo glad that I decided to stop colouring my hair last year and let the grey grow through.

34 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

I actually asked the dog groomer (when I took the hounds 3 weeks ago) if she could cut mine too.

I am soooo glad that I decided to stop colouring my hair last year and let the grey grow through.

Well....did she? You can't leave us on a cliffhanger like that!!!!

My hair is grey only at the top....I usually have a 1/4 head of highlights to blend it in and avoid the 'dead badger on the head' look - not a good one. I'd be happy if it was grey all over but it's not. Not sure why it should just be grey in one area.