patsylabrador

Lockdown

Well I spoke too soon about the Moderna vaccine. Apparently 50,000 doses arrived yesterday and are going to the seriously affected areas in the East of France. 8 million more doses are then due to arrive at the end of June!! Assuming they get here on time, we'll possibly get ours in August and won't be covered until September.

Big panic here with the English mutation. They've seen the rapid spread in the UK and are trying to contain the few outbreaks discovered. A town in the Northwest is being 100% tested. There is a cluster in the Northeast which is all in the members of one large family group, so clearly they weren't following the Christmas and New Year rules. There is another outbreak in M*****ille. There are cases all over Europe though and also of the South African mutation.

21 hours ago, Beantree said:

Quick calculation based on the current rate of vaccination in France and where we are in the queue; we'll be waiting 4 years!

@Beantree check out Doctolib website you can make a booking on here for the vaccine at the moment phase 1 & 2 places available and soon to release phase 3 in early spring. There is also talk of being able to register intent to get the vaccine and if vaccine centres have vaccine left toward the end of the day you will be called, this is to save waste as they can only store the vaccine for so long after being taken out of cold storage.

Had a look at Doctolib Ursula123 and I'm top of the list in phase 3 starting sometime in Spring. BUT we're not having the Pfizer and supplies in bulk of Moderna don't arrive until the end of June. At this moment I don't believe the timescales being quoted anyway. On the bright side we're supposed to be getting a vaccination centre set up in our little town. Perhaps half the population here is over retirement age, so over 62.

Something strange on the UK news? Supermarkets are only just making masks compulsory; surely not? What's a 'mask exemption'? Unheard of here. We have to wear masks everywhere or risk being fined, so no mask and stay at home.

Apparently the sale of masks and gel was price-fixed by the Government until last Sunday. Trouble is they didn't mention it on the news until Sunday morning and then all shops here are shut.

I was quite surprised when I read that because around here, the shops do request masks to be worn and the bigger supermarkets have masks to hand to people who may have "forgotten theirs".  I'm not sure about the Brazilian virus as apparently the British virus was originally from Brazil - or was it?  I've heard no end of thisies and thaties that I have had enough.  The changing of minds for you can you can't cancan't - so many confusing guidelines that they may as well call a dance after it all - the CanCan't where masks are whipped away showing mucho nasal hairs instead of doing the flipping up of the skirts showing frilly derrieres!  This morning flights were needed to and from Brazil, shortly followed by flights not allowed to and from Brazil.  No wonder the people are throwing their hands up in despair!

Well my Mum (86) had her jab this afternoon, I trust it all went well, because as of tomorrow I shan't be allowed to darken the UK's door for the foreseeable!  I hadn't heard of the Brazilian variant till a couple of days ago, but it might explain why the numbers here are shooting up again (not round here, luckily), but its not a big discussion point in the news. However, we go into lockdown as of midnight, for a month, although schools are remaining open this time, unlike in March.

Beantree - the mask thing in UK supermarkets, as I understand it, is that masks have been compulsory for a while, unless you have a valid medical reason for not wearing one.  However, as the numbers are going up in the UK, the Govt is 'revisiting' all bits of existing legislation to encourage compliance as not everyone behaves.  And the question is, who could/should enforce this in a supermarket?  The police do issue fines but my impression is that its a lot less strict than in France as the UK has more grey areas about what you can and can't do, and the police have been trying to encourage good behaviour rather than punish bad behaviour (in very general terms).  

Apologies in advance if already posted this but in December our HCA at work (GP surgery) came to work when she should have been isolating as son had symptons of COVID. I have no idea if she was disciplined although I wasnt the only one firing off emails to manager. Her sister (receptionist) came into work last week with symptons. She tested positive with lateral flow test at weekend. Since then 3 more staff have symptons. 

I wrote an email to the manager voicing my concerns. She said she wanted to know if any of us had so much as a snuffle . So yesterday feeling like I have a cold - eyes felt watery and have a headache I emailed her. So today off sick. My lateral flow test was negative but sent off a proper test today. The symptons arent like covid ones but the secretary who tested positive has same sort of symptons as me so bit worried. 

The sister has now she said tested negative on proper test and is saying it was a cold. Last week she could hardly breathe and was coughing.

I am so angry I could blow up. They are Romanian and dont believe its an issue - but it is for many. I have had my vaccine but my OH has only just had his. I dont feel its been managed well at all. I am nearly 60 with asthma. Thankfully my elderly aunt is 100 miles away so cant infect her if I have. Self combusting as I type. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Geeez!!! What a @&*%%*$!!

How can people be like that!! I really hope you stay negative! By being positive! If you know what I mean... 😅

My mom had a colleague who fell ill but refused to get tested. But she had been into office and my mom had a meeting with her. Now she asks colleague if they would get tested before she will meet them in the office.

I had kids who came to school after getting tested. And one got the call at school that he tested positive. 🤬

Also asked a kid to put his face mask on and she replied: but I already have had it.

SO??? Put the bloody mask on little git!

• Like 1

What is wrong with people?  I cannot believe people are so stupid!  They don’t think they  can catch the virus.  Or they don’t think it’s true, or the vaccine is a way of spying on us!  And they are the ones who have to have a coffee from S..bucks or similar and have to have exercise.  Despairing of the people blaming the government for everything and wanting more money.  On a lighter note, my girls enjoyed gobbling up the snow this morning! 
keep safe all off you and don’t get too down, Spring is on it’s way and things will get better! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hand cleansing, distancing, not touching your face, sneezing into a tissue which is immediately discarded and masks which cover the mouth and NOSE remain the best defence against the virus. Israel has discovered that the first dose of Pfizer gives much less protection than the 60% originally thought; more like 50% or less, depending on which study is taken. They have 17% of new infections from people who have already had the first dose and on that figure it suggests that these people thought they were immune and dropped the social barriers.

You may have heard there is some delay in supplies of that vaccine to Europe. Last report I saw was it was due to a shortage of little glass bottles? We have been assured that it won't affect the vaccination programme as there are sufficient stocks already delivered.

No mention of side-effects since vaccinations started here, so I guess French News has decided (or been told) not to mention them anymore.

On a lighter note we are venturing North tomorrow to collect a special little (huge actually) chap to settle down our new girls, who are a bit of a handful at the moment. He's a white Cou-Nu who has been hatched and hand reared by his current owner. She hatched two cockerels and now they are 20 weeks old they don't get on; this one was the loser, so he's getting a new home with hens of his own and won't need to fight for them (hopefully, as Miranda might be a problem).

Well, they seem to be getting on with the jabs in my part of South Oxfordshire.   Heard of two neighbours in level 3 ( over 75) getting it last week.  They are at a different surgery to mine.  It’s one with fewer elderly as it’s on a new housing estate.  The one I’m with has the oldest population in the area and shut up shop on Friday as it had run out of vaccine.   So, there is an element of the age profile of your surgery determining the timescale of when you get it, plus of course, the supply chain for the vaccine holding up.  

14 hours ago, soapdragon said:

I didn't realise that you could download the exemption card and, in effect, self certify with no formal authorisation. Therefore, if certain people don't want to wear a mask they just download a form and tell everyone they are exempt! 

Why should they go out if they don't want to wear a mask.   Letting them download the exemption card themselves is ridiculous.  They are just being lazy.   Also the short time they are in a shop would not kill folks to wear one even asthmatics.

19 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Well, they seem to be getting on with the jabs in my part of South Oxfordshire.   Heard of two neighbours in level 3 ( over 75) getting it last week

MIL who is in that group has been summoned for hers next week down here in Cornwall so all going well here too. Well done NHS 👍🏻👏🏼

• Like 1