Peter

Good morning chickens

Having to stay at home. But I am quite happy in my garden with my ladies and a few good morning words over the garden wall from my neighbour. What more could I ask living in a small village in Northumberland by the river. I have attached some photos I took this morning. Peter 20200331_092741.thumb.jpg.6141cb9d929aece8dc98bef31532f3a5.jpg

20200331_092801.jpg

20200331_092719.jpg

20200331_092219.jpg

20200331_092429.jpg

20200331_092556.jpg

20200331_092431.jpg

20200331_092143.jpg

• Like 2

Hi  Dr Chicken, yes it is. I dont have to cut the lawn any more as they eat all the 220 sq meters of it but I do have to use a electric rake on it to rake out the moss. I put it in the nest boxes as it is nice and soft for their bums. I change it every week. Peter

20191124_123056.jpg

20191124_123018.jpg

Oh crikey Lewis!  Must remember to because I do slap it around in there - and there are times when the wind blows it all around too.  DM and Lewis - good warning!  Bad enough with the stupid asthma, without making it worse.  Plenty of patterns to make your own masks, I shall have a go at doing one.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I put Diatom in with their food mix to stop worms can you do this with Buz Buster. Peter

Diatom doesn't stop worms Peter, that's an urban myth - you need to worm test and worm them with Flubenvet regularly. No, you can't use Buz Busters in feed - the active ingredient (Permethrin) is what kills the mites. It doesn't contain DE.

The moss is a good idea. Yesterday we put fresh wood shavings in the nest box for a 10 year old Wyandotte and when she came out her breathing was awful. Clearly the dust had irritated her airways and she was in a terrible state. Remembering your post I collected some dry moss and took out all the shavings. We left the pop-hole partially open overnight and thankfully this morning her breathing is fine. So thank you Peter.

Dogmother, I have read that it stops gut worms but not Throat worms "Gapeworm". Am I correct or you. I think the question is open.

I have had no problems with worms but if I do, and get throat worms that is the chicken not me then I will do as you have told me and give them a dose of  Flubenvet. Peter

There's no proof whatsoever that DE treats worms of any sort.

If you haven't previously wormed with Flubenvet, then I would suggest (in line with the manufacturers recommendations) that you worm them once - Flubenvet pre-medicated pellets for 7 days, nothing else to eat and keeping them in the run as much as possible - leave a gap of 3 weeks, then repeat. That should give you a pretty clear baseline to go forward. After that, ever quarter, get a faecal testing kit from someone like Westgate Labs, and send off samples to see if your birds need worming. 

It is important to keep on top of parasites - lice, mites and worms - to keep your birds healthy.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Peter said:

Dogmother, I have read that it stops gut worms but not Throat worms "Gapeworm". Am I correct or you. I think the question is open.

I have had no problems with worms but if I do, and get throat worms that is the chicken not me then I will do as you have told me and give them a dose of  Flubenvet. Peter

Unfortunately you don’t know if you’re chickens have worms until it’s too late. This is the case with all worms, gut or throat.

So best to worm them with a registered wormer.

• Thanks 1