Luvachicken

What do you have on your patio ?

We are thinking about having a new patio and hubby remarked that our current patio is covered in pots, so what is the point of a new one that you wouldn't see ?

I pointed out that it isn't covered in pots but there are a few, maybe more. And that people have pots on patios.

I just wondered what you have on your patios and if any of them are empty of anything ?

Apart from hedgehog poo (we have to clean it up just about every morning but I'm more than happy they are there so don't mind!) pots with last years Christmas tree, a potted peony, barbecue (sp..that looks wrong!) wooden shelves against the wall (the patio is part covered by a roof that extends from our back door). Useful to have the shelves as that's where I keep my clothes pegs, hoggy food, plant sprays etc so all to have without ferreting in the shed amongst the spiders.  

At some point, when they are hardened off, I will have cucumbers and toms in pots too as well as possibly sweet peas. 

We have 2 sets of tables and chairs, one large covered by an awning, one small with an umbrella.  That's all, as it is too hot for pots in the summer sun.  My Mum has about 10 pots, artfully arranged in a big group.  They are ancient, some are badly cracked and held together by the root systems of whatever is in them! About 50% are permanently planted, and the other 50% she alternates between tulips/daffs and then summer bedding.  Its very colourful and its about the only planting she can manage now.  She gets a huge amount of pleasure from sitting in the conservatory and looking out over them.  She also has 2 huge pots outside the back door, each with a box ball in it, again they have been there for years.

I have chickens on my patio! 
Well if you can call it a patio anyway, because quite a large part of my garden is unfortunately still paved. It’s a bit awkward in layout and my shed is at the furthest point from my garden door. So still need paving to get my bike out and the wheely bins too.

Do have quite a number of (plastic) pots filled with all sorts of annuals and apparently this year also perennials as the pelargoniums survived winter.

We don't have a patio as such, but several areas that could loosely be called such.

On the back lawn is a paved area that was rather wasted space, so it now has a green house on it. Out the front is a kind of rustic paved patio-ish sort of area that has large numbers of weeds and grass on it since it's destined to be hoiked up and converted to veggie beds. Just outside the back of the house, however, is a shingled area that is closest to patio material and has on it some outdoor chairs and settee, an outside table, four blueberry bushes, a kiwi climber, a water butt, some escaped wild strawberries and four cubic metre bags of varying composts ready for distribution onto other bits of the garden. What it has not got on it is any significant space.

Ho, hum....

On the south side of the house we have herbs: marjoram, oregano, lavender, pot marigold!; in an area when it is always shady we have pots of mint and lemon verbena (for tea!) and a fern; at the front of the house, by my home office window, I have two pots of madonna lilies (for the scent ... soon!). But the actual patio is where my sons have their basketball hoop and so is not safe for anything or anyone!

We have ‘posh ‘ (new) patio table and chairs, adults only 😉A wooden table with attached seats, kids, a table tennis table, pool table, swinging hammock , sun lingers, dog bed x2 , tubs of flowers and herbs. We covered it partially last year and it’s great, kids can leave toys and welly boots out.

We have sort of two - a small decking area outside the patio doors and a slightly larger one near the back door. The one by the patio doors has pots (herbs and also the strawberry planter and then seasonal pots - dying tulips at the moment!) including the Christmas tree on it - the deck itself is collapsing though and needs rebuilding. The other deck had a little table and two chairs. Both frequently have chickens!!

Whats the point in a patio without pots of plants?

Ah, I'm so glad you all have "stuff" on your patios :lol:

Our new patio is going to be slightly bigger, in that it comes out about another foot into the garden - that means more space for more pots :lol:

Hopefully it will be done in about 6 weeks time, if we can get the man booked in time. 

• Like 1

Ours is a right mess. We're starting out changing part of the garden into a traditional Japanese tea garden with a little tea house and everything. The patio has everything that's been moved but hopefully it will eventually be part of the Japanese garden. We've made this bit into a temporary patio.IMG_20200521_145213.thumb.jpg.5919acb4b6b8ef8c910b3e1bcfeb6827.jpgIts a lovely, cool spot. 

• Like 2

My patio has too many pots but it does mean they help hide the black spot on my sandstone from when I used to let the duck free range on the whole garden. Doesn't matter how much pressure washing I do the black spot remains. The path where they never pooed on is fine

i also have a gazebo over my patio furniture, it looks a little bit makeshift but it's transformed how much we use the furniture