Omletina Kyckling

Breadmaker advice please

I know this should probably go in All Things Nice but I've put it in Nesting Box in the hope I get more responses.....

I've searched for previous postings and read lots of things about breadmakers already and have basically come down to two breadmakers.

Either the Panasonic SD255 (or perhaps even 254) at £99 or the Morphy Richards Fastbake at £49.

The Panasonic is twice the price, with only a one year warranty and from what I've read, the customer service lot aren't fantastic if you have a problem. The MR lot seem to have better customer service if you have a faulty tin etc. and it has a two year warranty.

Replacement tins for the MF are about £11 whereas the Panasonic they are about £40...

I really really don't know which to go for.....

I have an old Prima breadmaker which has seen my proud now for about 8 years or so but the nonstick coating is wearing off and it's quite a small bread tin (I want to make bigger loaves, the proper shape so you don't have to turn the bread on its side to slice)

I make white and wholemeal/granary loaves by the way, and have made cakes in the past...

Come on wise Omleteers, what do you think I should do? :wink:

I have a Panasonic too and I'm very happy with it. (Not so happy with the teenagers who stuck knives down the side of the pan to remove the loaves :evil: The cost of replacing the pan is prohibitive, as you said)

I am attracted to the MR model though because of the retractable paddle. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one! Or preferably someone who has tried both! :lol:

I have the Panny and have been very happy with it, although the rubbish quality of wheat in the flour at the moment has meant that the loaves don't rise as they used to. I have tested this by making a loaf the old way, with my Kenwood mixer and dough hook - the result is the same.

I called Panasonic about this and their testing kitchen were very helpful and managed to pinpoint the problem; I was initially concerned that it was down to the breadmaker, but a few friends are having the same problems.

A friend has the MR one and loves it.

I have the Panny and have been very happy with it, although the rubbish quality of wheat in the flour at the moment has meant that the loaves don't rise as they used to. I have tested this by making a loaf the old way, with my Kenwood mixer and dough hook - the result is the same.

I called Panasonic about this and their testing kitchen were very helpful and managed to pinpoint the problem; I was initially concerned that it was down to the breadmaker, but a few friends are having the same problems.

Just out of interest re the flour issue, are we talking brown? My brown loaves have been rubbish lately really sunken, and yet the white are fine? Maybe it's my breadmaker as it's not a new flash one.

Just out of interest re the flour issue, are we talking brown? My brown loaves have been rubbish lately really sunken, and yet the white are fine? Maybe it's my breadmaker as it's not a new flash one.

I make 50/50 loaves, but the white is slightly better. Apparently, the harvest last year was very poor quality and the gluten is pants, so lots of people are having flatter loaves. Some makes of flour are better than others.

I got the Panny one because I wanted the seed dispenser option and the timer.

I have a Morphy Richards Fastbake and have previously had a Prima for about 5 years- bread tins wore out very quickly,- and a cheap lidl one with 2 bread tins ( which was pretty good but not upto everyday use)

Each time I have looked at replacement i have intended to buy the Panasonic but i have never quite managed to swallow the price, I believe it also has very long cycle times.

I had excellent customer service from MR when my tin started to leak, it was replaced free of charge within a couple of days.

I use the sandwich loaf programme the most which gives a loaf in 3 hours. The tin is tall therefore you do have to turn the loaf over to slice it but you get nice square slices and only the bottom crust has a hole in it and the slice above has a mark too so I use those for toast. I use mine daily for sandwiches for the 5 of us we get ten good thick slices from a loaf with a couple for toast and the nice soft top for Mum's sandwich making snack :D

On the flour issue I have tried all sorts and have found that the only ones that give a good sized light loaf are Waitrose very strong Canadian bread flour and Carr's Breadmaker flour. I mix these 50/50 with granary or wholemeal from time to time which makes the loaves smaller and more dense. Anything else makes short little boulders :( I tried some morrisons own brand at 49p the other day and it made one of the worst loaves I have ever made so i have decided that it is false economy to buy other brands. I am going to try to use up the other flour for pizza dough see how that works.

The Canadian wheat has a much higher gluten content and more selenium in it. As a rule I try to buy local or at least British produce but in the case of flour what is produced over here is of poor quality and low in nutrients.

I have a Panasonic that I love - it's been very reliable for the last 6 years. I would go for that one personally.

re problems with getting loaves to rise properly at the moment - I find adding spelt flour helps. I wouldn't suggest cooking a 100% spelt flour loaf in a bread machine - it rises too much - but I find I can replace up to 50% white, wholemeal, or granary flour with it without spending the next few hours trying to chisel out the lid! The spelt flour adds a good flavour as well as texture - heading towards a more wholemeal type loaf but without the same heaviness. In fact, it's been so successful I have been able to persuade an extremely fussy friend of my 8 year old that white ready sliced bread is not the only form of bread he can eat!

I'm now thinking about the Panasonic SD254 which is only £80, so a £20 saving. It doesn't have the nut/raisin dispenser or the rye setting, or a timer, I think....but I've never used the timer on my Prima one, and it doesn't have a dispenser and I've not missed it so I may go for the lesser model.....you lot all seem to rate it so well and this is something I'll be using every other day at least so need to get a good one. I may go for a three year warranty from Argos for £17 so if it died or if I dropped it after 2 years and 11 months....ooops.... :whistle: .....they'd replace it anyway..... :wink:

I'm now thinking about the Panasonic SD254 which is only £80, so a £20 saving. It doesn't have the nut/raisin dispenser or the rye setting, or a timer, I think....but I've never used the timer on my Prima one,

This is the one I have, it does have a timer, but not a dispenser. I am very pleased with mine, I use the 50/50 quick bake recipe and it takes 3 hours to make bread, which I think is quite good. My only reservation about it is that when the bread is ready it only beeps once, so if you happen to be out of the kitchen you don't hear it, so tend to forget about the bread, and it is best if you take it out immediately.

Tessa

.... but somebody (sorrry can't remember who) said that they had problems with the paddle and that it was noisy.

Tessa

I'll forgive you Tessa! It was me. And yes it is still noisy and yes we have given up with both Panny and the online retailer as we have hit brick walls with both. The online retailer ignores our emails. Lesson learned - never buy one online. At least if I had bought it from Argos I could have taken it back and stood there until they sorted it. It is still noisy, although the bread comes out fine. It just means I can't set it to come on so that we wake up to fresh bread, otherwise I would be woken up bu the darned thing at 2.30 in the morning.

Now I don't know which make I would buy, having wanted a Panny for years :think: . If it was quiet I know I would buy it again in a jiffy and I think it makes the best bread out of the 3 different brands I have had.

As for flour, I use Doves organic and haven;t had any problems. Sadly the wholemeal flour from the mill gave shocking results and I ended up binning it :(

Hello

I have the Panasonic and love it. I have had it for two years now and am really glad I made this choice.

Sylvia :D

I know this should probably go in All Things Nice but I've put it i

n Nesting Box in the hope I get more responses.....

I've searched for previous postings and read lots of things about breadmakers already and have basically come down to two breadmakers.

Either the Panasonic SD255 (or perhaps even 254) at £99 or the Morphy Richards Fastbake at £49.

The Panasonic is twice the price, with only a one year warranty and from what I've read, the customer service lot aren't fantastic if you have a problem. The MR lot seem to have better customer service if you have a faulty tin etc. and it has a two year warranty.

Replacement tins for the MF are about £11 whereas the Panasonic they are about £40...

I really really don't know which to go for.....

I have an old Prima breadmaker which has seen my proud now for about 8 years or so but the nonstick coating is wearing off and it's quite a small bread tin (I want to make bigger loaves, the proper shape so you don't have to turn the bread on its side to slice)

I make white and wholemeal/granary loaves by the way, and have made cakes in the past...

Come on wise Omleteers, what do you think I should do? :wink:

I too noticed a problem with flour. When we had no income I bought cheaper flour and the loaves, especially wholemeal, didn't rise properly and the crusts were rock hard. Now I am back to Doves organic flours and the bread is so much better!

We have pizzas every Friday! It makes an easy meal for me and the children love it. Their friends all like my pizzas too. :D and I can put banana on them! :D:dance:

I too noticed a problem with flour. When we had no income I bought cheaper flour and the loaves, especially wholemeal, didn't rise properly and the crusts were rock hard. Now I am back to Doves organic flours and the bread is so much better!

We have pizzas every Friday! It makes an easy meal for me and the children love it. Their friends all like my pizzas too. :D and I can put banana on them! :D:dance:

Banana Pizza! :shock::shock: I'm not too sure about that one Ginette :?:lol:

Well you've got me started!Bought a kenwood a few weeks ago and had to send it back as the screws went rusty,so got a morphy richards and couldnt geta decent loaf no matter what we tried.Now have a panasonic.Hey presto!Decent loaves and no rust.Watching it very closely as cant believe the difference and got paranoid about it.lol