WitchHazel

Eyebrow plucking, what happens when the hairs grow back?

When I was a teenager, my mum told me not to shave my legs as, if I did, the hairs would grow back thicker, co"Ooops, word censored!"r and stronger. My friend told me different and, being a teenager, I believed my friend rather than my mum. She was wrong.

At the age of 43 and with my (step)daughters wedding coming uo, I;m contemplating getting my eyebrows plucked. But I', concerned what will happen once the hairs grow back, as I can't see me keeping up the plucking.

Will they grow back like they were before, or am I likely to be condemning myself to plucking them from then on.

Thanks for your help

They will just go back to how they were. Ive been plucking eyebrows for years and its definitely resulted in less hair growth, not more. Cant imagine doing it once will make any difference to future growth.

Your legs may be hairier because you are older! My whole body (except said plucked eyebrows) is hairier in all areas (shaved and unshaved!)

:oops: ps I am not an ape :oops:

I don't think the hairs grow back thicker. :? They just look thicker or are more noticeable as they are shorter and you often end up with a hair growing in an open space because its neighbours haven't started growing back again yet! :roll:

If it is your first plucking experience I would agree with Egluntine and suggest you get it done professionally. It is then easier for you to maintain the shape yourself...if you attempt the first pluck you may end up taking more than you intended or struggle to get both brows even! A bit like :eh::lol:

Have them done professionally as has been said - and have them waxed. Then there will just be a few hairs left to be plucked.

I occasionally have a facial from a professional beautician who has become a friend over the years. As a 'favour' ( :shock: ) she will suddenly say "oh, your eyebrows need tidying" and before I can get of the couch and run away.....and telling her that they are fine as they are...... she has warm wax on them :roll::evil: I have very little taken away but it does make a difference.

Thanks for the replies so far. I was definitely going to get it done professionally, but I hadn't thought about having them waxed (which is strange considering I have everything else...well, let's not talk about that here).

Thank you for the suggestion of having it done beforehand, and also for having it done a few days before in case of redness.

I think I will have it done as a trial in a couple of weeks time, that will gve me 8 weeks for it to grow back if I don't 'like it, and time to get it done again if I do.

If you can find a salon that uses a product called "SatinSmooth" (unless you are allergic to bees, the product is made with bees wax) this will help minimize any redness that occurs, also make sure you stay out of the sun (if you have any) or tanning beds for at least 24 hours before and after the waxing service.

On of the reasons waxing is better than "tweezing" or shaving is because with waxing the hair is often times removed from the root which over time softens the hair as it grows back. Although you have no plans to continue after the wedding (you might when you see how "awake" you appear) the hair will just grow back naturally should you decide not to continue.

They will just go back to how they were. Ive been plucking eyebrows for years and its definitely resulted in less hair growth, not more. Cant imagine doing it once will make any difference to future growth.

Your legs may be hairier because you are older! My whole body (except said plucked eyebrows) is hairier in all areas (shaved and unshaved!)

:oops: ps I am not an ape :oops:

Just nearly peed myself laughing HEN!

I pluck mine and always have - being dark skinned, they are pretty dark too. I have found that repeated plucking destroys the follicles and they stop growing eventually. If you decide not to pluck them after having them done - you'll notice them when they first grow back, but they will just end up looking like they used to. Having said that, it's addictive! :roll:

I pluck my eyebrows.

Its important to use really ggod tweezers - I would recommend TWEEZERMAN which are pricier,but really do the job.

I just pull out any regrown ones each morning as part of my routine, & after time they actually get finer & weaker as they are being pulled by the roots as opposed to cut off like when you shave.

The only reason shaved hair seems thicker & co"Ooops, word censored!"r when it grows back is because it has a cut blunt end.

I have a friend and she tweezered her eyebrows to death when she was younger. She is now one of those women with a permanently surprised expression, courtesy of her painted eyebrows. She is fine with that - i don't think it would be a good look on me!

Every now and again I have mine waxed - they look so good once they are done. I've got dark hair and quite thick eyebrows so I do need it. I just tweeze in between waxing.

In a couple of my local shopping centres I have noticed a couple of ladies doing 'threading'. I don't know anybody who has had this done but quite fancy giving it a go - although not in broad daylight in the middle of a shopping centre :shock::D

If you can find a salon that uses a product called "SatinSmooth" (unless you are allergic to bees, the product is made with bees wax) this will help minimize any redness that occurs, also make sure you stay out of the sun (if you have any) or tanning beds for at least 24 hours before and after the waxing service.

On of the reasons waxing is better than "tweezing" or shaving is because with waxing the hair is often times removed from the root which over time softens the hair as it grows back. Although you have no plans to continue after the wedding (you might when you see how "awake" you appear) the hair will just grow back naturally should you decide not to continue.

Mark why do you know things like this???