Jaime

What Time Do You Let Your Chooks Out?

I was just wondering what time people get up and let their girlies out in a morning?

Do you scuttle down the garden in your dressing gown and wellies?

Do you go back to bed if its early?

Have you trained your girlies to open the door on the eglu themselves?

Do you leave the door open all night?

Weekdays they get let out at 6.15am (just before I head off to work). Weekends I'm usually up by 7.30am at the latest so I trudge down the garden in my pyjamas and purple clogs (quite a sight! :lol: ) to let them out.

Once it starts getting light before I am up and about I think I will start leaving the eglu door unlocked to see if they will push it open themselves....

I have left the door open all night if we have been away and they seem fine. I prefer to close it if it is a really cold night.

Are you finding it hard to get out of bed at the weekends to let them out - and do you lie in bed feeling guilty about it if you have a lie in?! :lol:

Ah..............the PJ, Dressing Gown. Wellie dash....................good laugh for the neighbours :lol::lol::lol:

My Girls are ready to be let out about 7am at the mo.........later in darkest depths of winter.................much much earlier in the summer :shock:

On weekdays I'm already up but at weekwnds they get let out.......then it's back to bed for me (if i don't have to be somewhere)

I know some people have trained their girls to push open an unlocked eglu door but, my girls squawk if they aren't allowed out of the run as soon as they're up.

Now of course the most important thing is your outfit for the early morning garden dash...............there are many combos...............do you coordinate with your eglu...............wear the latest designer gear..............it needs to be considered very carefully :roll::roll::roll::wink::D

Yes to the scuttling down the garden in my wellies :oops:

Usually when daylight dawns enough to see by, but I keep meaning to train them to open the door, but actually feel safer fastening them in properly at night,

Up to now we have been lucky and not been troubled by foxes, but I don't want to tempt fate :?

karen x

Mine are let out around 6.15 midweek, when OH or I return from walking doggies.

At weekends I either get up around 7 ish, or if its mild, leave the door ajar about 3 inches, with the handle bit pushed down so it stays there and they can force their way out into the run if they want to.

My girls are not free rangers at all, so are pretty laid back about the whole thing. I think chooks will only seem to get "punchy" in the mornings if they perceive the run as simply a corridor to the outside world! :lol::lol:

Oh, and yes, Pyjamas, green wellies and long wax jacket for me... :oops: my chooks are on our yard out the front, and although its down a quiet lane, we do get the occasional car drive past. My neighbours don't bat an eyelid.... They are resigned to living next door to madness.. :lol::lol:

I leave the Eglu door open a fraction & they barge their own way out at some ungodly hour in the morning :lol:

We do a check on them as soon as its light,as a couple of times they have managed to shut the door after themselves so can't get back in to lay :roll:

*DIDN'T SOMEONE ON HERE ADMIT TO DOING A NAKED EGLU RUN???*

yes, im a pyjama dasher :oops:

I lock the eglu door every night. our girls are let out anytime between 6am and 7am.

if its a non work day, they are let out early in my jammies and then I go back to bed.

Girls have their breakfast in the run for an hour. then they are let out and free range till 5pm in the garden :)

I was just wondering what time people get up and let their girlies out in a morning?

Weekdays, chookiehubbie lets them out on his way to work around 7:30, weekends, I let them out about 8am

Chookiehubbie does it in full bike leathers and helmet, I however do the weekend shifts in PJ's and fluffy slippers, cardi on top if it's cold...

Too right I do!!

In the summer, the door is either left open, or ajar for the girlies to get themselves up at some ungodly hour of the morning!

Depends how many times i have hit the snooze button on my alarm! Usually around 6.30ish in the week and 7.30ish weekends

Is there any other way?? :shock: PJs & spotty wellies every morning! :lol:

On weekends yes - would love to on weekdays too but i would get fired :lol:

No that lesson is yet to be learnt but it will be before the summer comes

No its always shut to keep the girls warm and i put 2 blankets over it in the winter as well so they are all snuggly!

I leave the eglu door open unless its really cold but i don't let them out of the run until i get back from the school run. I NEVER leave them free ranging if there's no-one in the house so its just not worth them coming out in the morning and not worth trying to get them back in. They never go back in if they feel they haven't been out long enough. At the weekends its about 8am when they wake me up with their squawking, demanding to be let out.

I am NEVER closing the Eglu door again. I've had a really busy week, including having to stay away overnight on Tuesday. I'd already tried leaving the door open overnight, and the girls have been fine, so on Tuesday morning I made sure there was plenty of food and water, and left for work.

Got back on Wednesday after dark, and they were in bed. Knowing that I had to leave at 5.30 am today (Thursday) to go to Cardiff and wouldn't have time to visit the Eglu in the morning, I topped up food and water again, and closed the door to keep them warm. This morning, the cab arrived early, so I rushed out of the house in the dark, thinking 'at least I did their food and water last night'.

At 7.45 this evening someone asked me 'how are your chickens' and immediately a mental picture flashed up of me closing the door last night ... AAAAARGH! :shock::shock::shock:

When I got home I RAN up the garden. They have been in the Eglu all day and I feel just terrible. I was convinced I was going to find two dead hens, but apart from having eaten all the aubiose in the nesting box, they seem ok. :anxious: I tempted them out with some corn, which they couldn't resist, but they just seemed rather sleepy, and when I checked later they had gone back to bed.

I'd rather risk chilly hens than EVER go through that again; this was what I dreaded about a full-time job that sometimes means working late/staying away/leaving early. Am not sure I am a fit person to have care of chickens :oops:

Please put me out of my misery and tell me I am not the only person who's ever done this! :anxious: Am I?