Charlottechicken

What's your favourite Christmas song?

Well, it is now December so I think it's safe to start this thread :D

This year I think my favourite Christmas song has to be the Ukrainian Bell Carol aka Carol of the Bells, as heard on the T K Maxx advert. I also love the Coventry Carol, probably because it is the heavy metal of carols!!

Anyone got any favourites, not necessarily carols, any Christmassy themed music. My favourite non religeous Christmas themed song is I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.

Fairy Tale of New York for me too :D But I do love the Ukrainian Bell Carol aka Carol of the Bells on the TK Maxx ad (didn't know it was called that, so I thank you) :D I also love the singing that they do for the Darkness to Light service in Salisbury Cathedral. I've been for the past 3 years (missed this year). There is no music, just their voices singing in Latin and the gradual lightness as they light the candles. Wonderful :D

So many to choose from! Carol of the Bells is one I sing with my friends, we'll be singing at a sheltered housing place in a week or so and because it's unaccompanied it's an easy one to do at things like that. Benjamin Britten 'Ceremony of Carols' has some of my favourites in, but it's a bit esoteric unless you are really into music!

I think Judy Garland in 'Meet me in St Louis', singing 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' is one of my favourite showbiz Christmas songs.

in Dulci Jubilo :D:D

Milk Oldfield version :D:D

takes me back to being little and skipping up and down the lounge, I still love it now :lol::lol: (yes, and the skipping to it :lol: )

cathy

x

That's my favourite too! We do it in our folk group along with Fairytale of New York, which is my second favourite :D

I like " Oh holy night" and " In the bleak midwinter"........to be honest, I love all the traditional carols, which is funny considering I'm not a Christian. My fave secular songs are " I believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake, and "Christmas wrapping" by the waitresses, and "step into Christmas" by Elton John....oh and The Spinners doing 12 days of Christmas....and Chas and Dave doing Coventry Carol. :mrgreen:

I can't stand Bob Dylan but I absolutely loved his christmas song last year - not sure what its called :oops:

My 2nd favourite which is always played first thing on Christmas Day is Blue Christmas by Elvis. It is usually played several times. Very Loudly. Accompanied by Shrieking.

And then I like the carol with 'sing hosannah' in it as a chorus.

There is a bit of a theme here - I'm going for raucous :lol:

I love most of the traditonal carols, particularly Silent Night - reminds me of my girls when they were little.

Just in the process of putting all my Christmas CD's on to my ipod so all fresh in my mind. Favourite "modern" ones

Chestnuts Roasting on an open Fire - Nat KIng Cole only !!!!

River - Michael Ball version. I only discovered this last year and it was one of those songs you hear on the radion that just makes you stop. I think it is an old Joni Mitchell song

I think I must have odd taste.

My favourites are Kylies 'Santa Baby' and 'Walking 'round in women's underwear' by Bob Rivers.

I also like anything by the New York Gay Mens Chorus 8)

And I love a good crooner,so anything ,anything at all christmassy sung by Frank Sinatra or Harry Connick jr,makes me go all warm & fuzzy :P

I like the Eartha Kitt version of Santa Baby...........and will check out the Gay mens' choir......just an OT aside..did you know that John Barrowman was turned down to play WIll in Will and Grace for being TOO STRAIGHT! This fact has me ans my two daughters in hysterics, whenever one of them mentions it, being big fans of both W&G and DR WHo....