Chortle Chook

Which is the best breed for blue or green eggs?

Another vote for cream crested legbars. I have two who lay blue eggs, one is really confident and friendly, the other is very scatty. They are about the same size at the shoulder as my ex-batts, if that makes any sense.

Be warned that (I think) there is a small percentage of legbars that lay cream eggs.

Had my columbine, Sandy for 18 months now, she's shut down completely for the winter now egg wise, laid bluey/green eggs at first but theyve slowly faded and now are virtually white,

does anyone think they might be blue again when she starts laying again this year :think:

Edited by Guest

Had Lizzie for 18 months now, she's shut down completely for the winter now egg wise, laid bluey/green eggs at first but theyve slowly faded and now are virtually white,

does anyone think they might be blue again when she starts laying again this year :think:

Latte used to lay nice dark brown eggs, these faded to a very pale brown. Then she had a break from laying and they are now a lovely dark brown again, a lovely contrast to my white eggs. My two hybrids that lay blue and blue/green eggs have stopped laying over the winter I hope they start soon.

Chrissie

Had Lizzie for 18 months now, she's shut down completely for the winter now egg wise, laid bluey/green eggs at first but theyve slowly faded and now are virtually white,

Latte used to lay nice dark brown eggs, these faded to a very pale brown. Then she had a break from laying and they are now a lovely dark brown again, a lovely contrast to my white eggs. My two hybrids that lay blue and blue/green eggs have stopped laying over the winter I hope they start soon.

Chrissie

what breed is Latte ? funnily enough ive started a thread on the "eggs" section regarding dark brown Marans eggs. they laty there darkest coloured eggs when they 1st start to lay, maybee the 1st dozen or 2 dozen eggs, then they fade. the early eggs take longer to work through and so get more pigment on them.

Pom our araucana lays the most beautiful blue eggs. She is a very lovely hen. However she is a bit of a bully :( . She was always bottom of the pecking order (and therefore no trouble) until we got our sablepoots. She really doesn't like sharing her patch with younger birds. Unusually for an araucana she was also quite broody last year so overall we didn't get too many eggs. I don't know if this is typical of the breed.

Hope this helps, Alli xx

Another vote for cream crested legbars. I have two who lay blue eggs, one is really confident and friendly, the other is very scatty. They are about the same size at the shoulder as my ex-batts, if that makes any sense.

Be warned that (I think) there is a small percentage of legbars that lay cream eggs.

a pure cream legbar should not lay a cream egg it's only the hybrids that might not lay a blue or green egg

blue egg hybrids are fenton blue, columbine, heritage skyline,cotswold legbar plus wernlas have a green egg layer called a wernlas olive