The Dogmother

I suddenly feel very old

The Chillis are great live :D

Well, she was back late, had a great time but said that the support bands were better than MCR :roll: so she's off to look them up on itunes. Still, she danced her socks off, got a t-shirt and is all gigged up for now. Shame she's not old enough to come to the Global Gathering with us this summer.

The Pretenders used to be very good live - I used to have my hair like Chrissie Hynde and wanted to be her :roll::oops:

Anybody on here like Ben Folds or REM??

Yes! Love Ben Folds, I was big into Ben Folds Five in the 90s (still listen to them a lot now) and would love to have seen them live but Ben Folds' solo stuff is great too.

My very first gig was :oops::oops::oops: Boyzone :oops::oops::lol: But things did improve from there! Have been to see Manics, Idlewild, Franz Ferdinand, and at festivals I've seen Green Day, Foo Fighters, Guns n Roses (well, just Axl and friends now, isn't it?), Pulp, Iggy Pop and lots more! My fave artist to see live though is James Taylor, very different from the rest of the list, but I was brought up on his music - Mum and I go to see him together and make a day/weekend of it. We're off to our 4th JT concert later this year, can't wait! :D

U2 at Maysfield Leisure Centre, Belfast :D They were just starting to get known. No bands ever came to Belfast in those days (something to do with insurance and the risk of being blown up :roll: ). Went with a load of mates and still remember a very young Bono jumping around on the big speakers while we all sang along :clap:

Not my cup of tea at all but went with an older friend to see Frank Sinatra late eighties and blimey!!!!! He was absolutely marvellous. He tugged at a glass of Whisky through the performance and at one time joked that, "yes, this isn't tea" My, what a voice!............AND talking of voices, I saw Robert Palmer in concert......again not my cuppa but he was great ........."She makes my day".....wonderful........

Sadly the only gig I have been to was Chris De Burgh in Cornwall one year when we were on holiday when I was about 22, strangely it was only a small venue and it hadn't sold out :lol: I really enjoyed it actually :oops:

I have been to both Cornbury and Wychwood festivals which are our two local ones, they are just too expensive now though as they have gained popularity. At those I saw Imelda May, The Proclaimers, Simple Minds, The Blockheads, Duffy, Divine Comedy & David Gray, and a few others who's names escape me.

We are off to see Texas in July though.

Not my cup of tea at all but went with an older friend to see Frank Sinatra late eighties and blimey!!!!! He was absolutely marvellous. He tugged at a glass of Whisky through the performance and at one time joked that, "yes, this isn't tea" My, what a voice!.

Oh my - I would have killed to see Frank...I totally adore him & his voice makes me just got to jelly.

I loooove a good crooner.

I am very,very jealous :mrgreen::P

Only just seen this thread; I have a few points in common with some of you guys. I also didn't know Stuart Adamson had died, and having googled I see it was 10 years ago :( My first (underage) gig was also the Cure, and the first 'proper' gig was Psychedelic Furs. I also saw U2 in a small venue with Bono boucing about on the speakers within touching distance, that was about 1982 :D It takes me back to the days when you could go out for the evening with a £5 note....and come home with change :lol:

My first 3 or 4 gigs were all Take That :lol: Then Bon Jovi in the old Arms Park (where the Millennium Stadium is now).

Then it all got a lot heavier, music & gigs played a huge part in my life & still do. My friend & I tried to go to as many as possible. I can't actually remember everyone I've seen. Some of them are REM (twice, amazing), Foo Fighters (lots in varying sized venues), Radiohead (in a circus tent), Green Day, The Offspring, Blur, Oasis, Korn (anyone else like them), the Wildhearts, I'll stop now :oops: Been to Reading a couple of times, we did Sonisphere in 2009 mostly to see Nine Inch Nails who were stunning. I met my husband at Ozzfest 98 at Milton Keynes when I was 17 :D

Next gig we're going to is The Levellers in Bristol. Have seen them a few times and they are always brilliant.

One band I would adore to see are the Chilli Peppers :drool::P

I have seen the Chilis 3x now and would go again if they were back next week!! 8) Thanks to my sons I have seen Muse twice and Radiohead. Biffy are on the list for this year.

My first gig was age 17 I went to see a very young Billy Joel at the Manchester Apollo. He was amazing especially in an intimate venue like the Apollo. Saw him again 4 years ago at the MEN - still very good.

I still have some good street cred with my boys and theri friends as we saw Pink Floyd back in the 80s, David Bowie also. Probably my fav is still Led Zep at Knebworth- their final UK performance ( Bonham still alive). Had to fight so hard with my folks to let me go too..........

Anybody on here like Ben Folds or REM??

ANH - I remember Uriah Heap!!

I love going to gigs - luckily have been to lots over the years. :o

Saw the Chili Peppers at V, Muse at Glastonbury and have tickets to see Ben Folds at Sheffield next Saturday. 8)

Very jealous of anyone who managed to see Pink Floyd. Would have loved that.

Very jealous of anyone who managed to see Pink Floyd. Would have loved that.

They were amazing at the Bath Festival. They had rigged up a wire running the length of the field from a telegraph pole to the back of the stage.On the wire was avery large model aeroplane.

I recall proceedings were held up while security talked down a guy who had climbed up it.

Their finale was to have the plane zip down the wire and crash into the back of the stage in flames and exploding set.

Talking of fire, I once saw Arthur brown prancing around on the stage with his helmet on fire.......elf n safety? Nah!!!!

The Who were great on stage destroying and hurling their gear into the audience. I have one of Keith Moon's drumsticks :D

I remember Van Morrison and his band "Them"playing our local cinema and I rushed up to the front and he held my hand :oops:

Thanks, Claret, for this thread. A real trip down memory lane and great to read other's experiences.