The Dogmother

I suddenly feel very old

Big Country at Reading.

Still love them - had a good old weep when Stuart died a few years ago. Had seen them many,many times since that first gig too. :cry:

I had no idea he'd died :shock::( . He must have died young :( .

He tragically took his own life a couple of years ago,after a long battle with alcoholism.

It was just terrible,as he was,I believe,a great talent.

The band still tour now with the guitarist on lead vocals,but it wouldn't be the same for me.........

I have only recently discovered gigs, I have been missing out and now want to make up for it! I also have no one who likes the stuff i want to see :( Teenage son was good for a while (Meatloaf, Santana, Alice Cooper) but he's too cool to go with his Mum now so I need to find a new gig buddy :cry:

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LIKE....ooh sorry shouted there!

:lol: I'm discovering rock, but there a few older groups I'd like to see before we all get too old! Kings of Leon is my new discovery, but would love to see any of the older rock bands! :D

My ES and DD saw MCR at Wembley last night and said they were awesome 8) I'm 47 and love them too and would have loved to have gone last night :mrgreen:

The only gig I've been to was Earth, Wind and Fire at Wembley back in 1982, with an ex boyfriend and I don't remember enjoying it that much:roll:

I loved David Bowie when I was younger and DD thinks he's brilliant too (actually she likes a lot of 80s music) and she is largely responsible for my taste in music now, including MCR, 30 Seconds to Mars, Lostprophets.

Lisa P

New Kids on the Block :oops:

Snap :wink:

It was 3 days after I passed my driving test, I was 17, my little sister had just turned 13, and I was taking her (that was my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink: ).

The Pressure was really on for me to pass my test, as I didn't know how we'd get to the concert otherwise :wink:

I still to this day cannot believe that my Dad actually let me borrow the car and drive from Neath in South Wales to Birmingham NEC :shock:

My first gig was to see Cream at our local "hop" before they were famous. That was 1966 and I was 15.

I was a great festival goer in those days and I remember Bath showground at Shepton Mallet. : Hawkwind, Canned Heat, The Byrds, Led Zepellin, Donovan, Jefferson Airplane,PinkFloyd,Santana,Steppenwolf, The Pink Fairies, Frank Zappa, The Moody Blues, Fairport Convention,Johnny Winter, Dr. John, Colosseum, John Mayall.

I made a couple of Isle of Wight ones too to see Dylan, Hendrix and The Who.

Ohhhhhh they don't make them like they used to.............sigh.

I used to see loads of small rock bands at Salisbury Arts centre. They had a club called The Passenger club which my best girlie friend and I used to go to (sometimes for free as it would be on after photography club heehee) when we were 15/16. I think we saw Napalm Death there (look em up for an ear experience - if you dare!) The only famous ones would have been The Levellers. I also saw Desmond Deckar there as well (of the The Israelites fame).

When I got together with now hubby I really wanted to go to Reading to see the Pixies (1990 I think) but he thought the crowd would be to rough for me :( He never saw us moshing in the mosh pit :lol: I eventually got to see them at V festival 2004 or 5, and I cried :oops:

My ED would LOVE to see MCR. They are her absolute favourite band. I tried to get tickets for last year, but they'd all sold out. And tbh she wouldn't really be able to see them live as she would be in too much pain from her foot problem. I have said to her though if she does go, I will be going with her :wink: as I do quite like them, and have been known to listen to them, quite loud, whilst cleaning :lol:

she is largely responsible for my taste in music now, including MCR, 30 Seconds to Mars, Lostprophets.

Lisa P

Me too!

I would love to see them,plus Electric Six, Biffy Clyro,Muse,Radiohead.....................I could go on & on :roll::lol:

One band I would adore to see are the Chilli Peppers :drool::P

I would so go & see MCR - Gerard Way is a babe,& I really like their music 8):P

The youngest daughter went to see Murderdolls last night to celebrate her 16th...no,I haven't heard of them either.

Apparently she crowd surfed several times & has come home sporting a very bruised jaw,several sore ribs & an impressive love bite :roll:

She got to meet the band too,which she is thrilled about.

I think my first concert was Simply Red at the G-Mex in Manchester in 1986.

My son and daughter are just going through the first gig stage. We have taken them to a few concerts with us. I think their first proper gig was Madness in Delamere Forest when they were about 8 and 10 ish. My son went to see Bullet for my Valentine with his mates before Christmas. First one without us. I let him go as his friends older brother was with them. My son is 15.

I chaperoned my daughter to a JLS gig a couple of weeks ago :roll:

Boy, did that make me feel old!

My first gig was to see Cream at our local "hop" before they were famous. That was 1966 and I was 15.

I was a great festival goer in those days and I remember Bath showground at Shepton Mallet. : Hawkwind, Canned Heat, The Byrds, Led Zepellin, Donovan, Jefferson Airplane,PinkFloyd,Santana,Steppenwolf, The Pink Fairies, Frank Zappa, The Moody Blues, Fairport Convention,Johnny Winter, Dr. John, Colosseum, John Mayall.

I made a couple of Isle of Wight ones too to see Dylan, Hendrix and The Who.

Ohhhhhh they don't make them like they used to.............sigh.

OSH I am soooo jealous :mrgreen: I was 10 in 1966, so always have felt I just missed out on the really really good stuff.....

My first gig was Steeleye Span...not sure if they even count...most recent...well..we went to the Hop Farm Festival in July ...(Bob Dylan was the headline act...not good...but also so the fantastic Mr Ray Davies, and Seasick Steve, and others .) I'd really like to see Interpol, and Arcade Fire now, but no one will go with me....

The Edinburgh gig was in the Corn Exchange - so a really small very intimate venue....I was literally 10 feet from Gerard and the boys :D And they ware AMAZING! The Danger Days album is the only one I listen to on my iPod...

As for old rock bands...Anyone remember Rush? My eldest daughter loves them (she's 27) and we,ve got tickets to see them in London in May. Already seen them 2 or 3 times, Force 10 made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :)

My first gig was Meatloaf at the NEC. In my youth I also saw Paul Young and Bonnie Tyler.

I tried several times to get tickets for Queen but failed. It's only a matter of time before LMW and I go to see a rock band (she is only 10 and a bit too small - she'd get squished).

LMW went with Mr W to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain last year, she loved it.

As for old rock bands...Anyone remember Rush?

I saw them :D . In the 70s :oops::lol: .

I went to all the heavy metal concerts back then - AC/DC, Whitesnake (3 times - David Coverdale :drool: ), Motorhead, UFO, Black Sabbath, Nazareth - amongst others. I'll have to get all my concert tickets down from the attic and take a trip down memory lane :D .

One band I would adore to see are the Chilli Peppers :drool::P

I have seen the Chilis 3x now and would go again if they were back next week!! 8) Thanks to my sons I have seen Muse twice and Radiohead. Biffy are on the list for this year.

My first gig was age 17 I went to see a very young Billy Joel at the Manchester Apollo. He was amazing especially in an intimate venue like the Apollo. Saw him again 4 years ago at the MEN - still very good.

I still have some good street cred with my boys and theri friends as we saw Pink Floyd back in the 80s, David Bowie also. Probably my fav is still Led Zep at Knebworth- their final UK performance ( Bonham still alive). Had to fight so hard with my folks to let me go too..........

Anybody on here like Ben Folds or REM??

ANH - I remember Uriah Heap!!

I've had REM on my iPod forever. Saw them at Twickenham stadium. Another band who've I've loved similarly forever is the Eagles but didn't get to see them till both band and me were in our dotage but they blew me away. Faces craggy and "substance worn" .........especially Joe walsh :lol: their voices were as wonderful as in my youth. I just closed my eyes and I was twenty again.

I can't remember which was the first one but they were both the same year - 1982

Culture Club at The Lyceum in London - my SIL and I loved them.

Q Tips (Paul Young) being supported by The Flying Pickets at South Bank Polytechnic where my now hubby was studying at the time. :D

The last one was Elton John at O2 - brilliant. :D