Margalot

High Street Shops Remembered

I really miss our local, family run ironmongers; you could go in there not knowing exactly what you needed for that DIY job, and leave not only with the correct ironmongery/tools, but also with a precis of how to do the job too.

I miss the little shops that were in our village in Norfolk before Te$co moved onto the bypass :evil: the wet fish shop which became a fish and chip shop after dark, the bakers where we'd buy hot loaves and rush home to eat them with real butter, and the sewing shop which stocked the most wonderful old wools, fabrics and embroidery silks. *sighs*

I don't know if some of these shops were nationwide or just regional

Vogue interiors

Richard Shops

Martin Ford

Allders

Presto

International

Timothy Whites (part of Boots)

Rumbelows

I'm probably just showing my age :lol:

Presto - didn't it turn into Safeways and now Morrisons?

International - I remember this shop from my childhood in England. I bought my mum an egg slicer for her birthday there. It was 10p :shock: I am sure she loved it :lol: Did they have green shield stamps or am I getting totally mixed up?

I rememeber some of these :lol:

Woolworths (and its still running online!), Allders, Dixons, C&A - grandad used to call it Coats & 'Ats

Kwiksave too?

I really miss our local, family run ironmongers; you could go in there not knowing exactly what you needed for that DIY job, and leave not only with the correct ironmongery/tools, but also with a precis of how to do the job too.

I miss the little shops that were in our village in Norfolk before Te$co moved onto the bypass :evil: the wet fish shop which became a fish and chip shop after dark, the bakers where we'd buy hot loaves and rush home to eat them with real butter, and the sewing shop which stocked the most wonderful old wools, fabrics and embroidery silks. *sighs*

Sounds like you need to come to Aber! ;)

We have some big shops but there's loads if independent ones still around!

Aberdashery is the sewing shop round the corner from us. If you go into a shop and they don't have what you want they'll tell you exactly which shop to go to and where it is! :lol:

I miss Ottakers-they sadly got taken over by Waterstones a few years ago and the experience is just not the same! Our local branch used to do Open Days in the summer for children organised by the childrens' book seller, Lucy. I went most summers with my sister and they were great fun! Plus, their offers used to be better than Waterstones too!

I also miss Enid's Wool Shop in Yeovil, she sadly retired the other year or so ago and now there isn't anywhere decent in the town to buy that type of thing, unless I go out to Martock, and even then the range isn't the same.

I too miss Woolies as well! They used to do really good value stationery, much cheaper than WHSmiths!

What about the corrona pop that used to be delivered door to door?!

Oh yes. We used to wait for the Corona van, we weren't able to get any very often. I used to love getting the deposit back on the bottle.

Cherryade. Cream Soda.

Gosh, I'm right back to my very young childhood thinking about that, thank you!