patsylabrador

Does anyone do Valentine's Day?

We don't other than saying something in passing. Pagan god of fertility I think and as I have 4 grown children I don't really care how fertile I am now. I'm not inclined towards sacrificing goats or chickens so that leaves cards, chocolates and roses, none of which we want.

However, if you love it and like the treats --- have a lovely Valentine's Day.

This will be the first year we have not exchanged cards (by agreement). However, we will be having a romantic candlelit M&S dine in meal with a glass or two of pink fizz and chocolates.

OH brought me a cup of tea in bed with a mini cream egg 8). Then he cleaned out the girls, the loos and study. He has also vacuumed throughout and walked the dog. Better than any gift from a shop and much more thoughtful. Feeling quite loved up here despite having a stinking cold :lol:

We'll swap cards and have a nice meal at home (what it will be tonight I have no idea - I'll see whats left in the shops when I go this afrernoon!).

Don't go for the flowers or meals out - so expensive!! In the past we have had a meal out, but either before or after the 14th, so the restaurant is not packed and trying to get rid of us before the next sitting etc!

Having siad that, I did buy myself a nice bunch of daffs in the market this morning... Does that count??

We'll swap cards and have a nice meal at home

Same here.

or meals out - so expensive!!

Quite - we used to eat out a reasonable amount - but now I mostly think its a waste of money (especially on 'special occasions') and I could do better (ie how I like it) for a lot less money!

So I sometimes splash out on expensive ingredients and cook a 'restaurant' meal at home, where we can relax, not worry about parking/driving home and not pay double for the drinks!

Maybe I'm just getting old!!

H

We do, as (because of DH's job) we are nearly always apart on valentines day. I had a nice card and (bit of a surprise) a lovely Pandora freshwater pearl necklace. If we were together we would probably try and do a nicer meal than usual at home, but as he's in a hotel in holland I will have to forage for myself!

Happy valentines day everyone :):D

I'm not allowed to waste money on cards or presents for Mr Griffin (his words!) but he always spoils me. Usually he gives me very funny cards but the one I opened this morning was very soppy and sentimental. I nearly wet myself laughing :lol: Then I noticed he looked mortified :oops: I was suitably more grateful for the big box of chocolates and bottle of Baileys :lol: I then spent the entire morning in bed reading while he looked after the girls :D I've been quite ill in recent months and he's done a brilliant job of looking after me and tolerating me, I really ought to think of a way of re-paying him. He's the greatest man on Earth and I feel very lucky to have him.

We exchange cards. OH is away so he sent me some roses :D

The same here, usually we just do cards and I cook us a nice meal but OH is away so he sent me some roses which was nice.

Had an archery meeting all day and the Chair of the meeting gave all the ladies a red rose, this is his last meeting as he is standing down. He is lovely and will be missed, he has given so much of his life to the sport.

Chrissie

Nope. Neither my wife nor I do anything for Valentine's day. Our attitude is that if either of us needs to do something for Valentine's day, we haven't been putting in enough effort for the other 364.

Instead, I prefer to pick a few random days that specifically do not have any particular significance throughout the year and surprise her with a dinner, a few flowers or some other token. The intention is to show I don't take her for granted even on "normal" days, and it's worked well so far.

Nope. Instead, I prefer to pick a few random days that specifically do not have any particular significance throughout the year and surprise her with a dinner, a few flowers or some other token. The intention is to show I don't take her for granted even on "normal" days, and it's worked well so far.

Great plan Major...my OH does that too so I know it works! :D

Cos we do - OH cooked steak and splashed out on salad for us and we opened a bottle of fizz wine left over from birthday - then I rummaged thro cupboard and found a hidden boxa chocs from a patient. So stuffed, sozzled and about to watch Jonny English reborn with OH and son - very romantic.

Erm, no.

Actually, I forgot it was "Valentine's Day" - when I wrote the date on a piece of work today, I did remember it would have been my father's birthday (he's not longer alive).

Then in a lecture this afternoon, my Libyan friend reminded me it was VD :oops: So, I looked him square in the eye, put my serious face on :| and said: "I love you!" then repeated this to my friend from Pakistan, my friends from China and we all had a good chuckle (because I'm old enough to be their Mum).

Seeing this thread made me feel a bit guilty because I hadn't done my secret VD with my sons. So, I've just made them a slice of toast each, stamped with I love you from a toast stamp (bought very cheaply from Sainsburys on the 16th last year). They were all smiles when I gave them their special toast a few minutes ago :lol::lol::lol: (and they were stumped how I'd done it).

Job done!