The Dogmother

The Weather Thread # 7

It is dire! Hasn't stopped raining all day, and we are supposed to be camping tonight - so if any one is in the South Cerney area and can tell me if its raining too that would be great!! OH and I argue constantly when putting the tent up usually, so add rain into the mix and it won't be pretty!!

A lady in Pilates kindly told me that it was going to be like this for the next 6 months. :?

What,& then we get a heatwave in January I suppose? :roll:

Honestly,some people are such harbingers of doom when it comes to the weather.

Its raining,it will stop,then the sun will come out - you mark my words :lol::lol::lol:

we have a flood warning, the rain hasn't let up all day .

There have been four really nasty thunder storms today , with torrential rain almost every hour on the hour.

Went and looked at the beck and it is struggling to get under the bridge, it is creeping up the banks, the council have been out with the sandbags at the flood points and i have my fingers crossed , i know all the rain from the tops has to come down the hills too, It never gets to me but i do feel sorry for the ones that do get flooded and the mess takes weeks to clean up. What makes it all the worse is that they are working on our new flood defenses and all their work is being washed away on a weekly basis.

We had work going on for about 18 months to put in flood defences after a series of bad floods devastated large area of the town centre; most of that part of town is between the river and the canal, which is historically flood plain. Can't imagine why they built on it! :roll:

There is some brightness to the North of us but it is still raining. We know two people who are having barbeques this evening for birthdays. ED is at one you think you are safe with a summer birthday party outdoors, we did better at the end of September last year for ED's 18th :shock:

We've had some very heavy cloudbursts today, black skies but no thunder. Managed to dodge the showers to get the animals cleaned out while the helicopters going into Silverstone buzzed overhead. I have just heard that they turned people away today as the parking and trackside areas were like a quagmire; echoes of a few years ago when we had similar weather and were driving past Silverstone the day after the Grand Prix and they were still using tractors to tow vehicles out of the parking areas.

I am on the Calder river so the water is really high and i just don't want to think about it. The beck is dangerously high but surprisingly holding.

With all this water and damp air i am going to put the heating on to keep the house from getting damp. I know what time of year it is ! but those hidden corners will soon show signs of damp .So i am going to brave a mini heat wave for a few hours and pretend it is really a very hot day and pretend i am in the garden with a long cool drink soaking up the sun..... :):):) I have a brill imagination.

I have friends living near Hebden Bridge, this is what they said about the floods.....

****'s road was a terrifying river yesterday, **** got wet wading home through the park, I had to turn back when trying to get home because or the water pouring off the hill onto the top road then got stuck between two floods on the valley road so home very late and Polarhan, **** spent much of the afternoon bailing out a cellar.

When I finally managed to drive home it was over rubble because half the hill has come down with the water, the tarmac has been lifted and ripped up on parts of the road and the sides have been washed away. There are homes under water yet again too, I can't imagine how awful it is for those people. This time, although the river did burst it's banks in a couple of places and a culvert backed up, most of the damage was caused by water pouring off the saturated hills and the drains not coping.

Don't think we're done yet somehow, either!

BBC video here

Nice enough here at the moment; grey and mild but I understand that we're due storms and torrential rain coming up from the Bristol area and across the country. :roll: