Ain't Nobody Here

Eek! I've got an interview! *didn't get it :-( *

Opinions please :) .

My sister-in-law has kindly helped me rework my CV and covering letter. Very happy with the first bit of advice and I think it looks a lot better now. However .... there are things she's changed which I'm not sure about. What do you think?

She thinks my degree should be listed first under "qualifications". However, that knocks my qualifications out of chronological order which I think looks odd as my employment history is in chronological order :? . Surely they would at least skim through my qualifications and notice that I have a degree, regardless of where it is in the list?

I put in the subjects I got Highers in (not for O grades though). She's taken them out. I know it was a long time ago but aren't they still of interest?

I put a bit in for my "career break" explaining that I childminded and did voluntary jobs in playgroup/Scout Group/Scout Post/primary school. She's taken that out and just left "This period was spent bringing up my sons". I'd like them to know that I didn't just sit at home for 10 years!

I realise I don't have to take her advice but would be interested in someone else's opinion :) .

I agree list the degree first and leave out the highers. I presume that's the same as our 0 levels if its A levels you could leave it in.

In your chronilogical bit you would put in career break due to children but under supporting information on your application you shout out about your other life skills like childminding and voluntary work don't leave them out altogether. :D

Just make sure that you look at every item under essential and desirable for job you have something on your application.

yeh you can do it :D

I would also put a degree first and would then list all other qualifications (even though work history is in chronological order). I would also explain what you did during the 10 years as I think it is relevant. Remember to put in all your CPD stuff. Good luck :D

Good luck ANH.

I would put your degree first. You could put it under a different heading if you were concerned about layout, perhaps split qualifications under school education and further or higher education.

Also, could you put the things you did when looking after your children under a further heading such as other experience or further information?

They will be shortlisting based on the essentials and desirables so the advice you have been given about showing how you meet them is important.

There are lots of useful resources online to help with CV writing. If you can't find what you need, feel free to pm me.

Definitely degree first.

The HR person will be skiimming CVs and will not be reading each one in detail - too many CVs, too little time.

Qualifications should be listed in order of level, wth highest qualifications first. No need to list infividual O levels (or equivalent), just total number, and state that it includes English (Grade x) and Maths (Grade x). If any O levels are particularly relevant to the job, you could mention that one by name.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, guys, that's really helpful 8) .

Can you tell me if this is OK? I've just got a feeling that "demonstrated" doesn't quite sit right?

In conclusion, my experience to date has demonstrated the value and absolute requirement for a Support for Learning speciality within today’s education system. I am keen to further develop my skills and experience in a focused and dynamic setting such as that on offer at ***.

Good luck with it, I concur with all the advice above. In my job I have to read a lot of CVs, and these are from people who are not only graduates but who have usually attained a higher qualification as well. Some are frankly dreadful - dates which don't make sense, gaps in the chronology, and statements about their skills without any evidence to back this up.

I am not impressed by 'I was a school prefect', when school was over ten years ago - and yes, I have really seen that! I am also deeply underwhelmed by spelling errors - you'd be amazed at how many people can't actually spell 'Curriculum Vitae'. Judging by your posts on here ANH, that is not a problem for you, but if in any doubt I would get someone to check it carefully for you. It's always worth a second view by someone anyway, just to check that you haven't missed anything.

Aaarrrggghhh! I didn't put "Curriculum Vitae" at the top, just my name and details :( . Can't believe it :roll: .

Hopefully the stunning layout, perfect grammar and spelling and my "couldn't be more relevant" employment experience will help them overlook that :lol: .

Too late to change it as I went to the school today, asked for the lady in person, and handed it over, babbling something about being very excited about the job as it seems perfect for me :oops: . She did say "lovely handwriting, that's a good start" so fingers crossed (I'd handwritten the envelope).

Will hear within 48 hrs, interviews on Friday :shock: .

I really wouldn't worry about it ANH, sorry that wasn't meant to put you off, frankly I never see the point and most people don't know what it means anyway - it's just that if you DO use it, it ought to be accurate! I really doubt if you will lose any points for that.

I'm sure you're right, Olly! I'm pretty confident that I've addressed all the requirements and given examples of relevant experience and I've read and re-read it (and got my family to read it too) so I'm hopeful that it'll tick all the right boxes :pray: .

Now all I have to worry about is the interview :anxious: . I just hope it's informal rather than a competency based interview :pray: .

Got a call to say I've got an interview :D . Not a great start, she said SFL and I had to say pardon :oops: . Doh, "support for learning" as in the job I'm applying for :oops: .

10.30 on Friday. Got butterflies already :anxious: . Now to decide what to wear :? . I'm a jeans and fleece kinda girl, that's going to have to change :roll: .

If I get this job, I've only got 3 days left in my current job as term ends next Friday :shock: . Big retirement do on Friday night as well so hope in a way I don't find out if I've got it or I'll really have to tell them all. I really like all of them, so it's going to be really hard :( .