The Dogmother

What's on your bedside table?

No telly in bedroom - not the place for it!

I have on my bedside table......

A lamp

Handcream

Bodylotion

A coaster

A book

A large pebble from Chesil Beach with a Wren painted on it

A clock and weather station (with a rubbish alarm)

and a night - my mobile for the alarm

I notice a few weather stations!!!

We have a TV in our room which is very rarely watched. However its very nice for when you want to lay in bed watching TV whilst under the weather. Yesterday was such a day and so last night I watched TV in bed and there is now an empty red wine glass on my bedside table!

Usually its just

• lamp
    kindle
    coaster
    mobile phone on charge (as on call)

On the top: Lumie alarm, 2 crystal thumbstones and dust glued on with hairspray :oops:

Shelf: Seven books, reading glasses, Gaviscon tablets and a nasal spray.

Floor: Bottle of water - I gave up taking a glass of water after almost drinking a big spider in the dark, luckily I have a night light which gave enough light for me to see the shadow :shock:

OH's side - his table has a lamp and a glass of water but the space by the side of his table has a replica Viking sword, a baseball bat and the shotgun.....which is, of course, really locked in the gun cabinet at all times :whistle:

Just kindle, sudoku book, pencil, lamp and reading glasses now.......

HOWEVER I used to keep an angina spray on my bedside table. I worked as a nurse on a cruise ship and if I was called to see a passenger with chest pain I grabbed the spray while I dressed. Seemed perfectly sensible to me but when a new doctor started he saw it while we were having a drink one evening and looked suitably horrified until I explained. :lol:

I used to do a job where I did get called in the night if things had gone horribly wrong (24x7 business), although that doesn't happen any more I feel nervous if my phone isn't beside my bed and switched on.

Elderly neighbours know I keep my mobile on at night so they can call it if they urgently need help. One morning I didn't take it downstairs with me when I went to sort breakfast and came back up to a harrowing voicemail from my neighbour across the road. Poor lady, her husband had died during the night and I think she waited until she saw signs of us getting up before ringing. I wish she'd rung me during the night and I would have gone over to sit with her rather than have her sit alone watching for lights to come on. :(

This is a brilliant thread :clap: I wonder how many of you had to go and have a look and how many could remember :think:

I've been to look and aside from all the usual stuff such as books, lumi on one side of the bed and alarm clock on the other I also have:

a lemon

a stack of diaries going back to 1979 (I am a pre-facebook person)

a wee basket of lip-sticks going back nearly as far (I don't actually use lip-stick)

an antique plate and mug and

a stray dog blanket (stray blanket that is, not dog)

No machete however :lol:

Also no TV but I do have my mobile with me when I am in bed. It is the only time I can chat to my sister and get her attention.

I used to keep a lot more on my bedside table until we bought a new bed a few months ago. I didn't even stop to think about the height of the bed in comparison to the bedside table. In fact I got so overtaken by buying a new kingsized bed that I went and ordered a whole new lot of bedroom furniture and have the most lovely bedside tables now. Trouble is I am about 18ins higher now and nearly fall out of bed when reaching down to find anything :shock:

I also bought a new kingsized bed a while back, much higher than the old double, and a bit of a shock when I get out in the morning :lol:

I'm after a couple of little semi circular shelves to raise our bedside lamps up off the bedside tables, but until then I have the following; lamp, mains radio alarm clock, battery powered radio controlled alarm, coaster (never used as I don't take drinks to bed), lipsalve, four pairs of glasses in cases, pen and notepad. OH has; lamp, radio alarm clock (but only ever used as a clock), 2 drinks coasters, three remote controls (tv,dvd and set top box :roll: ), bottle of squash and box of tissues.

I also bought a new kingsized bed a while back, much higher than the old double, and a bit of a shock when I get out in the morning :lol:

I'm after a couple of little semi circular shelves to raise our bedside lamps up off the bedside tables, but until then I have the following; lamp, mains radio alarm clock, battery powered radio controlled alarm, coaster (never used as I don't take drinks to bed), lipsalve, four pairs of glasses in cases, pen and notepad. OH has; lamp, radio alarm clock (but only ever used as a clock), 2 drinks coasters, three remote controls (tv,dvd and set top box :roll: ), bottle of squash and box of tissues.

You don't realise when you try the beds out in the shops how they are going to be in your home. I have to launch myself into bed at night and in the morning I slide off it :lol:

:lol::lol: We have a similar problem in these Victorian houses; the front doorway and the stairs are so narrow. People don't check the dimensions when buying large items of furniture and end up having to send it back when they either can't get it in the door (2'6" wide), up the stairs, or they find that the large leather suite they've ordered is too big for the front room!

I can see that a weather station is another Omlet must-have ... actually, I do want one but it wouldn't occur to me to keep it on the bedside table!

Christian, if I include the chest-of-drawers opposite the bed I would have had to list White Teddy, who watches over my daily routine with a disapproving air. I am not owning up to any other cuddly toys :whistle: