Luvachicken

Doesn't anyone care anymore ? Happy update

Today, I had a car accident.

I was stopped waiting to turn right when a motorbike drove straight into the back of my car.

The person damaged my car and landed on the left hand side at the front of my car.

They were very young and very upset. Not hurt - more shocked.

What bothers me most is the fact that not one of the cars behind us bothered to stop to see if either of us were ok.

They just drove on past.

Don't people care anymore ?

Edited by Guest

TBH no, I don't think that some people do! The attitude seems to be that 'its nothing to do with me; don't want to get involoved' also everyone is always in such a hurry and in their own little bubble.

Poor you; you must be very shaken. Hope you are feeling OK; is there much damage to your car? It seems an open and shut case as far as fault goes so, hopefully, will be straightforward to sort out with the insurance.

You have come to the right place - The Forum; WE CARE! Sending virtual hugs.

This is such a sign of the times. We live in Very rural Devon, last yr, new yrs eve, I was the sober driver, ferrying goodness knows who goodness knows where, as you do with teens etc. On a trip at 9.45pm, on a country lane, we happened across a middle aged cyclist male, who was lying in the road, waving one neoprened arm like a fin. Stopped the car, and went to see what was on. Rang the ambulance, rang his wife, Who thought it was all a big joke(really??)

Ambulance came, and we all stayed to help get him, his broken pelvis, collar bone, ribs etc into the ambulance. Meanwhile, because I had left my lights on, with no engine running , my car had gone flat:((couldn't make it up ) Lucky I have a friend who doesn't drink, who kindly turned out for me, jumped my car with his, And took my teens into town on his way home(what a gent). The following few days were interesting. I Had got the paramedics to check my car , as I know how it is where I live. Sure enough, the gossip was I had squat this bloke.

Would I stop next time. Yes. But I wouldn't bother to ring the wife, or stay once the medics arrive. Left a nasty taste. I have lived in the village concerned for 18 years.

Glad you and the bike riders were OK, LC, but you must be very shaken :( .

Freddie, do you mean people thought you'd hit him? Not what you'd expect after being a good samaritan :? .

I once fell while out running and was lying prostrate on the pavement for what felt like ages with loads of cars going both ways before someone eventually stopped to see if I was OK.

:roll: it beggars belief really :roll: I hope you and the cyclist are OK.

I always stop to check if it's safe to do so. I once followed home a young woman who was very worse for wear; I was out with the dogs and she was staggering along and didn't want help to get home. I was really worried for her safety, so followed her at a discreet distance.

I think it is fairly typical of the times we are living in.

I agree Sparkymum.

I think sometimes people are too frightened to get involved for fear of doing the wrong thing and being sued.

Also people seem to be in such a rush now, no time to think of others.

Hope you are ok Luvachicken.

Chrissie

I think it is fairly typical of the times we are living in.

I agree Sparkymum.

I think sometimes people are too frightened to get involved for fear of doing the wrong thing and being sued.

Also people seem to be in such a rush now, no time to think of others.

Hope you are ok Luvachicken.

Chrissie

I agree with what you are saying.

Thanks everyone for your wishes.

Well I was pretty shaken up at the time but was feeling better until just now.

Apparently the motorcyclist is claiming I wasn't indicating - the parents just phoned to say.

If just one person had stopped, like the car directly behind the motorbike, they could have been a witness to say I was indicating. I have an old car so the chance of insurance paying up the money to fix it could be slim.

I feel worse now and cross that people can't be honest.

Surely if you had stopped then it was his responsibility to notice that there was a stationary vehicle in front of him? I always thought the person hitting the car in front was to blame because they were too close/weren't paying attention.

If you're sure you were indicating, you stick to your guns. Don't let them get away with lying :evil: .

When you say you were stopped, were you actually stationary and did you have your hand or foot brake on? If so, then your brake lights would have been on irrespective of whether your indicators were on. The rider should therefore have seen the brake lights if nothing else.

Were you in a feeder lane for turning?

I take it that you've since checked that your indicators are working?

I think there is CCTV further up the road but not at the bit I was on.

I was just on a main road turning into a side road, and couldn't go because of the oncoming traffic.

I'm sure I had breaks on of some sort, and I have one of those break lights at the top of my back window.

My insurance say my car is unroadworthy for the moment, but the indicators did still work after being broken.

Does anyone know how far CCTV can see down a road ?

Does anyone know how far CCTV can see down a road ?

No idea, but it's worth checking.

Also, go back to the scene and take clear photos, and using Google sat view, mark your car position on it while you remember. I had a problem some years ago with a taxi driver who rammed me then swore it was my fault; a copper friend of mine advised me about taking all the photos and writing up a report while it was still clear in my mind - really stood me in good stead.

Yes I think they do care and am surprised as the few times I have offered help theres been at least 3 other off duty nurses there too :roll: However at night time and if alone I would probably call emergency services. I actually had a father be really rude to me when his child who had sustained an injury at a garden party and the child was very drowsy post head injury. I advised him to take child to casualty and not be so ungrateful. And no I dont think it was stress as he had been obnoxious before the incident. I am so sorry no one stopped - I would have done believe me. Hope you feel better soon

Just been to look at the CCTV cameras but they are too far away.

The people in the shop yesterday weren't there today but will be back tomorrow, so will go again then.

Alis Girls, I know there are a lot of caring people out there somewhere, and you obviously are one of them, but I think people like you are becoming few and far between.

Maybe no one stopped because the motorcyclist got straight up.

Unfortunately people don't care. I was crossing the road with the dogs and broke into a jog as the lights were about to change. One of the dogs crossed in front of me and I ended up flat on my face on the road hanging on to two large dogs.

The driver of the car waiting at the lights just looked at me as of to say get out of my way the lights are changing. Managed to hobble home but no one offered to help. Think its a sign of the society we live. :(

I think, like so many other things in life, there are those that do care & those that do not.

I suspect we can all think of times when people have shown ourselves or others great kindness, just as easily as times when we have felt hurt, vulnerable & dismayed by a lack of compassion.

The world if full of good people & bad - it is pure luck who we might encounter on a day to day basis.

It would be very boring if everyone was the same :?

I agree, but it would be nice to see a bit more consideration on a daily basis.

An illustration:

I was leaving our park this morning, there's a fairly narrow stone gateway at this exit and I could see a lad bowling up on the other side on his bike, no intention of slowing down or looking to see if anyone was coming through, so I stood aside with the dogs. He saw me as he came through and scowled, but forgot to thank me so I did it for him (with a smile) and got sworn at for my troubles. :roll:

I bit of consideration and thanks wouldn't have gone amiss and would have made both our days much more pleasant.