Groovychook

Happy, Happy News! *OMG! Parcel!*

Thank you! That's a relief :D

My OH worries all the time that he's going to get too cold and was a bit reluctant to turn the temperature down in his room. My Mother in Law was also concerned about his hands getting chilly so it's kind of put me on high alert!

I'll reassure them that he's not going to get frostbite in his fingers!

Don't know what the current thinking is (my "babies" are 26 & 27 !) but I was told that the biggest danger is overheating. As your baby is 6 months old he should be able to kick his covers off if he gets too hot.

I personally wouldn't worry about slightly cold hands if the rest of him is warm as he is in a warm enough room and the cold hands could be the way he is naturally regulating his temperature.

As I said, my experience was over 20 years ago and someone may well come along telling you otherwise. That's the thing I am sure you are finding - there is so much conflicting advice you just have to wade through it and go with your instincts.

They are all so different too!

My eldest was always cold - she would grunt in her crib/cot and not settle till I put extra layers on her - more than was recommended (vest, babygro, sleeping bag, sheets, and blanket). I also had a heater with thermostat in her room on a timer so room was warm when I put her down, then came on about 1am for an hour then again about 6am'ish so she didn't wake too early.

Youngest - is a different beast. So far is just in a normal short sleeved vest, babygro, and 2.5tog sleeping bag, and so far all is good (plus his room has no central heating).

Read somewhere about putting socks over their hands to keep them warm - never worked with eldest as she was a thumb sucker, but might try with my youngest as winter closes in if needed.

Was always told if they are cold, they can tell you. If they are hot, they can't. So keep everything to a minimum and add layers as they tell you.

Oh thank you everyone.

We're trying not to get neurotic about everything but it's so hard to trust your instincts when you're 'in at the deep end' so to speak!

It doesn't help there is so much info out there - and it is all contradictory! First few weeks are always the worst till you start to get to know each other :D

I always found grandmas worried more about cold hands than too warm bodies :roll: As others have said, as long as he is warm on his chest/back then he will be fine. You need to make sure the room isn't too hot as I believe at a young age they can't sweat to regulate their own body temp (I am sure I have ad that somewhere). It is all a worry when they are so new to you. You can read all you like about it, but once you are actually responsible for a wee one, it all seems to be completely different in practise. Trust your instinct as that is usually right :D

Those grobags come with instructions of what to wear with them for a range of temps and it can be very confusing. My daughter was getting neurotic about it all until I pointed out that it's in the manufacturer's interest to encourage people to buy several. She now goes on his body temp as everyone here suggests.

Oh My Goodness!!!

We've just come home and found a parcel on the doorstep... inside was a big, floppy Christmas present for our little man with a gift card from Plum, Bluekarin, Kinsk, Goosey Lucy, Craftyhunnypie and Mrs Webmuppet :D

I had to open it... I know it's very wrong of me... it should have gone under the tree... but I just couldn't help myself! :oops::oops: Inside, a beautiful crochet blanket :D Oh, my word, it's absolutely stunning and we're completely overwhelmed by your kindness. I can't believe that you've devoted so much time and effort into making such a wonderful present for little J when I'm sure you've all been run off your feet with Christmas preparations. You're a very clever bunch, we will treasure it forever!

We can't thank you enough... Mr Groovychook, who is not normally a connoisseur of crochet, is completely awestruck! You wonderful bunch of peeps :clap:

I'm just off to wrap baby J up in it and give him a cuddle, then I shall spend the evening gazing at it :D

I promise to take some photo's tomorrow :wink: Thank youuuuuuuuuu!!!! :D:D:D:D:D