Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I visited Eyam village in Derbyshire this weekend. It's known as the plague village and is a very interesting place to visit. The village, the hall and the museum make for a good trip. I learned why some people survived the plague when they lost the rest of their family.

I was pet-sitting for my sister, she lives up a small road with farms and so on. At night it was dark and dead quiet, I'm not sure that I liked it all that much. All that space felt like a heavy blanket, I think I'm too used to constant movement around to move back to the countryside. It's been on my mind but it might be a bad idea.

I was pet-sitting for my sister, she lives up a small road with farms and so on. At night it was dark and dead quiet, I'm not sure that I liked it all that much. All that space felt like a heavy blanket, I think I'm too used to constant movement around to move back to the countryside. It's been on my mind but it might be a bad idea.

It is funny you should say that about the general outside noise.

We live on a quiet village road, gets some traffic nut not loads, at this time of year a lot of tractors and trailers go past. But on Saturday there was a nasty accident on the A road and the locals used our road as a diversion I knew the road must be closed as there was a sudden increase in traffic. When the road reopened some hours later it was so quiet, I don't normally notice it but having had a lot of traffic noise compared to normal and then for it to be so quiet it was almost eerie.

Strange how we get used to a certain level and type of background noise.

Chrissie

Edited by Guest

Chrissie! Where's your colour gone!? :wink:

We have a dual carriage way near us, behind a row of trees, and we are quite high up so it doesn't bother us too much. I try and think of the noise as being the sea :wink: We also have a main train line between us and the road, but there aren't too many trains and we do get the odd steam train coming through which is lovely :D Choo woo!

We back onto a main road with a busy lane running down one side of the house too, the cars go past so often you don't notice, until they stop for some reason. :lol: It is very quiet on a Sunday night and gets particularly noisy when the nearby M5 is closed, we suddenly notice a lot more lorries.

We have just been away for a week staying in a small cottage tucked down an alley way, our bedroom overlooked the back yard of a restaurant and the cooling system for their store room, the fans drove me mad, because one of them would turn off for a few minutes every 10 minutes or so, if they had been constant I don't think it would have bothered me. :roll: Sounds like a horrible place to stay but we were literally 35 metres from the beach. So not bad at all really. :D

Big change here. YS has handed in his notice and leaving the Met police. It's the first time sine 1977 that no one in my family is part of the Met. I think I'll miss belonging a bit. Because they work alongside paramedics so much he started to realise that that was what he wanted to do. Handing in his notice was quite daunting but he starts his paramedic training in a few weeks and he will still be frontline dealing with the public. I'm proud he's had the guts to see through such a big decision, he's excellent at dealing with people in tense situations and calming them down which is a skill which he will be able to use to great effect. He was once accused of boring someone into dropping his machete and giving up his murderous intent!!! He does like to talk.

Gosh what a big decision for him Patsylabrador. I always think of you having associations with the Police and the forces :D . FIL was in the police not the Met.

I hope he will enjoy the new challenges, he clearly knows a lot of what to expect from the job working closely with them now. Good luck to him, it takes courage to make such a change.

Chrissie

Some people are so cheeky! I belong to a crochet group on Facebook and someone posted an offer for a particular French wool manufacturer where you could get £10 to spend on anything on their website just by signing up. So some people signed up several times. One person over 11 times! I signed up twice, only because the first time I didn't get the offer. I just can't believe they have the gaul to do that. Needless to say the website have taken down the offer and will be looking to orders made over the weekend. I just hope they don't see mine as one of these fraudulent ones as I was hoping to make my sister her birthday present with the yarn I ordered :(

Do you know all I have done in the last few weeks is pack, unpack and wash. First ES off to Zante so helped him pack as a typical teen hasnt got a clue but is learning fast. Unpacked and washed. Then OH and YS and me off to Center parcs - packed, unpacked washed and as YS off to a camp at Soul Survivor packed again in a matter of hours. Thank goodness for a washing machine and good weather. Unpacked YS stuff - all damp including sleeping bag so washed it all dried and put away. ES left for reading festival with yes a packed bag done by himself but mum blathering on in the background re epipens, antihistamines and warm woollies. Then he'll be back - more washing and then we do it all over again for uni. Stressed - yes. - Absolutely knackered with it all and then having to get head round all the uni bits - I will be doding thread on this probably as I am a fresher mum virgin and know nothing :lol: Feel my pain

Had a bit of an :shock: moment at work today... I had occasion to ring a colleague (who is going through a particularly nasty divorce) and she has changed has changed her mobile voicemail.....

" please leave me a text rather than a voice message as it costs me to retrieve my voicemails, and seeing as my thieving *&^%$** of a husband has made off with £20k of my money, I can't afford it".

:shock: Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of her at the moment!

I shouldnt be surprised having been a nurse for years but still cant fathom the public of the UK. ES at Reading Festival told someone had poohed outside his tent and ES stepped in it. :vom: Apparently toilets are vile - the money paid should go to giving regular cleaners body armour to clean every hour. I hate to think what he will come back with. The minority are disgusting creatures - i wont say animals cos my pets are cleaner than some so called humans. :evil: I am going to tell him to forget it next year. I love pop concerts but I wont ever do Glastonbury except from a B&B.

Bit naughty but today we parked up the Triumph in a car park and getting off I inadvertently got in the way of a haughty Pinner matron - you know the type. She barked " Excuse me young man " in a huffy way. I guess she couldn't see my womanly attributes under my bike kit and I think I might actually have been older than her. OH and I looked at each other and then he thought it would be funny to pull me to him in a suggestive way. It was in truth quite funny and there was some blustery harrumphing as she went past. :lol: