Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Finally, after many years (about 5) I plucked up the courage and went and saw a dentist. Was fine until I got into the room and my default setting of being nervous - tears :evil: - kicked in. But, I couldn't have asked for a nicer dentist and dental nurse. And, after a few minutes of prodding, a few X-rays, was told I didn't need any work doing :dance: Hubby, however, does, but I was very very proud of him for going. He has had several bad experiences with dentists in his life, starting at a young age, so hated them. This one he seemed to tolerate :wink: Just got to take the kids in and DS is desperate for a brace, and is worried he won't get one as he will be 16 in September.

Well done :clap: I know how you feel, I too went for years without going.

As far as I understand it with braces, so long as the treatment starts before their 18th birthday the whole of the treatment is free on the NHS. My. DS was 16 I think when he started with his, which were removed just before. Christmas last year, he turned 18 in April this year.

Very proud of YS, he had an interview today at the camping and caravan park just near us and got the job halfway through the interview :D . He'll be on reception (the manager thought he'd be good at that - strange, as he's grumpy and barely audible around us :roll::lol: ). He can't come on holiday with us up north, which is a shame, but it'll be good experience for him 8) . Nice place to work too 8) .

If anything like my 18 year old he'll still find time to hoover up contents of fridge a cupboards. Mines just back from Zante - looks wrecked - has cough and sore throat and has gone to work today to do a long shift. I am worried he will succumb to glandular fever. Ten of them went on the holiday - all ill with sore throats coughs and ear infections. I washed his swimming trunks today - dried them and they smell weird - wondered what he swam in :think: They partied too much drank too much and slept. I cant remember being this way when younger but I prob was. I do remember getting in at 4am and turining up on duty at 8am. Oh to be young again..........

Glad to hear he got the job ANH!

I worked outside 6 days a week during my summer of first year and got an awesome farmers tan! 8):lol:

I went to my first ever gym class (Hi/Lo Aerobics) last night and still aching tonight! :lol:

We won the pub quiz last week so went back to spend out £20 voucher tonight and came second winning another £10 tonight - cheap week ;)

We would have come first but we wiped out on the final round :roll:

My brother is on his way to Heathrow airport to fly out to Chicago to live with his fiancé. They have been together for about three years and most of that has been spent apart. I am so pleased for them as they are getting married at the end of the year, though not sure we can actually go to the ceremony :( but I will miss him terribly. Not that I saw him a huge amount here, just knowing he was only and hour and half away and can text whenever was a nice thing. I just hope the pre flight checks go well what with the new electrical checks and his interview when he lands in the US has no hitches :pray:

I feel so bad for the relatives of the Malaysian flight. Every plane crash is horrific but in these circumstances and especially the reports that their bodies are being treated less than respectfully it is just more horror piled on top.

So much awful stuff going on, it feels like the world is imploding sometimes.

Yes, truly heartbreaking; I have had to stop reading the accounts in the press as they were getting to me.

On a more uplifting note, I went to the sports award ceremony at Rosie's school last week; neither of us were told which award she'd be getting, so it was a lovely surprise when she was given the Elite Performers Award for her sporting achievements in the last academic year. Their biog went thus:

Outside of school Rosie competes in triathlons. She has competed in many triathlons and in her first ever triathlon achieved the fastest girls run time. She finished 2nd in the Derby triathlon and has attended trials for the British triathlon academy. She came first in the 1500m in the recent Banbury and District competition, setting a record for her age group. She has also run a 5 minute mile and next year she hopes to compete in a half marathon. Rosie Taylor is winner of the elite performers recognition award.

I was really choked up, and despite her recent shenanigans, am very proud.

MS has a new job! We're very excited, HGV driving across South of England. He's been a yardman for a couple of years which wasn't what he wanted but it turned out to be a great apprenticeship. He got the chance to be familiar with lorries, how depots function and most importantly lots of practice at parking on bays.

His workmates have been 80% Nepalese and the nicest people. He''ll miss them. When they said goodbye, they stood round him and everyone touched the card before it was given to him. I don't know if that is a custom or just something they did. They also bought him a little rose bush which he will tend carefully. He loves roses.

My daughter has applied for PIP as she has a chronic pain condition which affects her mobility, and she needs it if she is ever going to be able to drive a car (she'd need an adapted one with hand controls). She has an appointment to see a healthcare professional to discuss her application. Frankly, I am scared of what they might put her through :( Heard such nightmares about other peoples experiences. Just hoping they are all exaggerated :anxious:

Hope you daughter gets an appointment soon I applied last November and am still waiting :shock: another forum I belong to has lots of positive comments about the PIP medicals :) positive vibes and gentle hugs for your daughter living with pain is so debilitating x

Thank you! She had the assessment and it went well, as far as I can tell. She does hurt a lot more after it as she had to do a couple of physical things to test strength in her arms and legs. I hope she hears soon, and it is what she is hoping for. The good thing is it is backdated from when you started your claim. For her a lot of things are on hold until she knows their decision ie applying for her provisional license.

I hope you hear soon and yours goes well too. Good you have heard lots of positive things about them. I only ever heard bad :( Gentle hugs to you too. She has had it for 5 years. Not fun at the best of times, but when it's in your teenage years, even less so.

Having a wisdom tooth out on Thursday :anxious: The dentist doesn't seem to think it will be difficult to get out, it's not impacted, but sort of growing side ways so is cutting in to my cheek quite badly. Not too worried about it (yet), obviously not looking forward to it, but my big worry is swallowing the tooth and choking :oops::roll::oops::roll: ! I've heard lots of horror stories about wisdom tooth extractions, but fingers crossed it'll be ok :pray:

I can't believe how advanced all the crops and hedgerows are here this year - there are already combines out bringing in the crops and blackberries nearly rip in the hedges.

I am watching Biscuit (my cat) for his weather predictions for the winter; he's a very accurate forecaster; he is a magnificent cream tabby, and when he has a heavy moult (as he did this year) I know that we're due a long hot summer. If he grows tons of extra fur back in the autumn, then we're due a very cold winter. I will keep you posted

I'm sitting here listening to the combine out already this morning, everything is definitely very early and I assume they are also concerned about the change in the weather forecast for this weekend. We also have lots of potatoes in the fields round us and it will be interesting to see if these are lifted earlier as well.