Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Feeling a little, I don't know, down. Just seen a photo on FB of my good friends out for the evening in town and I didn't even know they were going out. Not the first time they have gone out without mentioning it to me, last time was for a picnic. Just hurts a little I guess. They are all a bit closer than I am to them as they have kids the same age and meet up a lot with them. Still, would have been nice to be invited out.

I can understand that you feel hurt by that Bluekarin. I would feel bad too. I'm afraid my instinct would be to drop them. If they do that to you regularly what is the point in them? I stick to having acquaintances with no strings attached, like the ex-Met ladies I meet up with. We have a jolly time, but I deliberately don't make close ties.

You could organise the next night out,then you won't miss out.They probably did it without thinking when they were together with kids.I have stopped work and would hate to lose touch with my good friends.They are all still working so I have become 'social'secretary and organise all our nights out.They haven't the time and for me it makes sure I am not forgotten about.

I have since found out they bought a restaurant voucher for one of their birthdays (which was in March and we all clubbed together to buy her a high value clothing voucher, so no idea when they bought her that) and went out for a meal. I am not sure what to do about it, if anything. I have known them all for at least 20 years, one for 25, and I am sure it was just organised while they had their weekly meets. I just feel left out and it was a bit odd to see a photo of them all out together. I think I was also feeling a bit sensitive and let it upset me more than it should. It has only happened twice, so I wouldn't say its a regular thing and am not about to dump them as my friends. I shall see if they want to meet up, and go from there.

:( some poor soul tried to end his life at our rail station yesterday; it must have been a cry for help though as he'd climbed a gantry above the slow line. That whole area of town, and all the surrounding roads were condoned off, and there were reports that he had either a gun or knife :shock: The rain started, trains and traffic still stopped after 4 hours, not sure whether he was got down or jumped, but he's in hospital. That was just 200 yards from my office.

My thoughts for him, and that he was so desperate.

Last week a 21 year old girl sat on top of our local Debenhams roof , she was there for four hours before the police managed to talk her down.....I was desperate for her, what has a 21 year old got to be feeling to resort to that, yes it may have been a cry for help/attention but isn't it tragic that she didn't or couldn't approach loved ones....or worse still maybe she didn't have any loved one.....sad beyond words

I worry about what I think of as the 'copping out' generation - ie me. I think we give too much credence to teens' assertions that they know what they are doing and therefore we don't have to do anything. I would say there is a definite suicide culture that they feel they own and that it is a right, a way to control their lives. I happened to read a piece by a young girl I know about people's right to self expression through suicide. I confess it scared me because she is a lovely girl and I did go against the sentiment of the piece and we told her parents and grandmother. I couldn't bear it if I said nothing and she delved deeper into this. There seemed to be no thought about the permanence of the act, she seemed to think that sorrow of people left behind was selfish. It is terrible to think there must be many more young people thinking like this.

It's actually something I discussed with my kids when they were quite young because that's what I do and it becomes more ordinary if you work in certain professions-I think more parents should.

I know what you mean, a young female colleague of mine took an overdose a year ago then called her recently ex boyfriend, telling him to come and find her. She now seems quite proud of what I know was not her first attempt. It is one of my biggest fears as a parent that one of my children would do this, I would feel that I had failed them, it has been extensively discussed as a family.

Apparently this autumn is going to be some giant spider fest. If you don't like them here are two tips to keep them at bay. They don't like lemon or conkers. Anything strongly smelling of lemon although it has to be natural, not manufactured cleaners, apparently that doesn't work. The conkers should be cut in half and placed in corners and along walls. I only read this yesterday so haven't tested it yet. The good news is that they'll all be dead by November.

Apparently this autumn is going to be some giant spider fest.

I've just read this out to my OH who calmly announced that "there was a massive one on the arm of the sofa last night" :shock:

When I asked if I was sat on the sofa at the time, he confirmed that I was, and then casually said that he'd "brushed it back onto the floor" :shock:

I am utterly appalled at his unchivalrous behaviour! I can deal with spiders with the glass & beer mat method, but the thought of a huge wolf spider roaming around my sofa has given me the collywobbles.

I'm going to have to perform a very thorough cushion check tonight and remain on high alert :anxious:

I think if OH isnt going to be your knight on a white charger you need to get the hoover out and hoover the sofa all over. Its also a good way to find the odd bit of loose change and my biggest haul was £2.53 and no spiders. No way should you miss Downtown due to arachnoid invasion. Let them watch their own tellies. As for your OH needs a strong talking too. Mine love him is all over the place since dropping ES at uni yesterday and insisted on coming to Tesco with me :evil: I wasnt impressed as felt need to wallow in self pity and he was a nightmare. He disappeared down the bleach isle and 15 minutes later still hadnt reappeared :shock: I found him staring at bottles of bleach and hauled him, bleach and trolley off telling him I still had a lot to do and couldnt afford to spend all day there. i couldve got round in half the time. He did redeem himself when we went to the farm and he carried the bag of chicken pellets to car for me so I let him off. Good luck - enjoy Downtown.

Clarks - I had my feet measured there a few years ago. They found it slightly odd that a grown up wanted her feet measured but they were very happy to do it (sadly they no longer have that really cool electronic machine that you put your foot in, and the top, bottom and sides came in, and there was always the slight fear that your foot would be crushed :lol: ).

I also had my feet measured at Cotswold Outdoors when I bought some walking boots. I expect other outdoor shops will do it too.