Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

I volunteer for Contact the Elderly, a charity which takes lonely elderly people out to tea once a month. We had a tea party on Sunday, and I asked if anyone had watched the Eurovision Song Contest. One elderly gent replied that he didn't think much of the woman who won. He was absolutely astounded to learn that 'she' was a man!

Bless him :D That sounds like a very valuable service you provide Olly, good on you!

The fire is still smouldering here and will probably continue to do so for a few days. I managed to take a few photo's from over the wall this morning but no dramatic flames I'm afraid! I'll try and post them later. Funnily enough, we haven't suffered from the smell as the wind is still carrying the smoke uphill and away from us. Even when the fire was raging at its peak yesterday, the air was as fresh as a daisy in our garden. I'm very grateful... I hate that acrid smell.

Good news :D

Apparently the beard wasn't real and he/she only puts it on when wearing a dress. A big disappointment to my ED's gay best friend who is a little bit in love. Thought it was a bit neat to be true.

I preferred the song that came second too, it is quite high in the iTunes chart at the moment.

No DM your not, I don't have a scooby doo what is going on except a vague picture of a bearded "lady" in the papers Monday.....I assumed she was a she....guess the beard should have given it away but then again nothing surprises me anymore....

Wow DM you are an early riser...I am the same, have not needed an alarm clock for years. 5pm...ping wide awake...its a blessing and a curse...come 9pm and I am knackered!!!

Am I the only one who hasn't heard this song, and has no desire to do so? :anxious:

No, I haven't heard it either - think I've seen a photo of the (in)famous bearded lady, but wouldn't know who she was had it not been for you Omleteers (think I'm getting old!!!) :roll:

Wow DM you are an early riser...I am the same, have not needed an alarm clock for years. 5pm...ping wide awake...its a blessing and a curse...come 9pm and I am knackered!!!

5 AM surely? Are you a little bit sleepy this morning :wink:

I woke up at 4PM yesterday, not slept yet. Couldn't get to sleep until about 5AM yesterday (hence the 4PM wake up time..), eczema kept me up most of the night. :(

5 AM surely? Are you a little bit sleepy this morning :wink:

Haha what a wholly yes 5AM.....that irony for you :lol:

Oh Fred :( I too have eczema, though no where near as bad yours sounds. I do have overall dry itchy skin, which has kept me awake many a night. I have taken to going downstairs in the night just to get a anti histamine and sleeping pills, just to get some sleep. Hope the dr etc can give you something for a bit of relief.

Arghhh I've struggled with photobucket & flickr to try and post a photo of the fire but neither seem to want to play nicely :wall:

I found this report in a local paper which shows the aftermath. Not a strictly accurate report but you'll get the drift!

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Barn-blaze-Cornwall-sparks-huge-operation-60/story-21086989-detail/story.html

It's still burning but continues to blow away from us. The firemen detected some asbestos in the roof structure so I hope the wind direction stays the same!

Sorry to hear about you Eczema Fred- sounds really miserable :(

Edited by Guest

I have decided we live in the worst place for noise NW London. I slept in YS's room at the back of the house because he moved in with OH as couldnt sleep. Dawn chorus - starts about 4am. At 6.40 am on a Sunday morning i hear what sounds like hammering. Then the dog opposite starting (barking not hammering :shock: ) I was about to get up - throw open window and ask impolitely for them to "shaddddup". when it stopped. Then at 7am I heard someone say " well well ooh" at least twice - must have been next doors alarm clock - its hot so all the windows are open. I did go back to sleep but think sleeping next to main road is quieter.

And I feel old - today I got my trolley jammed at the supermarket - a very kind lady sent her strapping teenage son over to de- jam it for me. Amazing years ago i was the one unjamming things for them now they look down on you and do it for you. :boohoo:

Can't wear them - they ive me ear ache.

Learnt something new today - OH went round to collect a laptop from ES's friends mum and their labrador was wearing a pair of womens pants. Apparently its in season and gets a "Show" so they put pants on it. There was even a hole for the tale. I have looked at the cat with new eyes today and wondered what my lads and one girl would look like in my undies. :shock:

The wit of teenage boys never seeks to amaze me. We have a plastic tablecloth on kitchen table (yes tasteful but practical) and I purchased a new one today as the other was shredded by cat :shock: Its pale yellow with flowers on it and gives a cheerful look to kitchen. But ES said "mum dont like this new tablecloth, I bet it can be seen from outer space" YS keen to get in on the act in an alien type voice " we are picking up an unidentified object on the radar bleep". And then to add insult to injury I was told by ES my txts are like a 12year old girls :shock: He did first A level today and was a bit disgruntled as a hard paper so sent the following "dont worry hun - you did your best. To quote Pharell Williams (American singer) "cos I'm happeee" love Mum xx"

So to sum up - I am a youngster in an old body with no taste. Oh well could be worse. :lol:

We have a plastic tablecloth on kitchen table (yes tasteful but practical) and I purchased a new one today as the other was shredded by cat :shock:

I buy these for the conservatory table (from Dunelm) and my cat shreds them as well :roll: . I always try and leave the old one underneath as she sits under the table and shreds them from there - perhaps she thinks I won't notice despite the noise of raking claws.

At least I don't have any teenage sons to comment on my choices :lol: .

I have a real thing for those waxed cotton type tablecloths. There's something very comforting about them. I haven't got one atm but now I think I will.

Ali's Girls, I am spending the night in Sedgeford in Norfolk. I can't hear anything except the wind in the trees and occasionally what I think is an owl. It's stunningly quiet and dark - I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep. It's a bit strange.

I went to Budapest with friends last week and drove 250km to Slovakia from there - was an experience driving on the wrong side (right!) of the road but had a really good time :D

Liberty Bridge, Budapest:

blogger-image--649553881.jpg

and Kosice, Slovakia:

blogger-image--1522291197.jpg

My YS is off to Budapest in July :) .

I really loved the city - its got a young, trendy vibe but there's obviously still the old buildings and history around it. It reminded me a lot of Berlin.

If they haven't booked accommodation, I'd highly recommend Wombats City hostel!

Slovakia was completely different, very little English spoken or on signs/menus but there seems to be a lot of money being spent to develop it and it was European Capital of Culture last year so it's definitely getting more visitors and tourism.