Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

[/u]quote] I guess not, but he's not exactly a prize if you get my drift -

What is wrong with some women...they think their men are irresistible, maybe he was wearing Lynx...she really shouldn't be texting you DM anyway, i would be inclined to tell her to talk to her husband, not you BUT...come on girls have some respect for fellow ladies, were not all out hunting in packs!

My YD has done her first RS short course GCSE paper this morning, she is in yr 10 and her school gets all of them to do this short course RS and I think it is a great idea to give them an idea of whether or not they can revise effectively and to break them into the idea of GCSEs gently a year before they have to to do the rest.

Good luck to all with exams coming up, my DS starts his A levels in a couple of weeks. It is his last week of school this week. :shock:

Best of luck for your YD Liz...

Major drama down on the farm today.

The health visitor had just arrived for our little boys 12 month review when we heard almighty bangs and crackles. Rushed outside to find that the large barn just behind the back of our garden was ablaze :shock:

The farmer managed to get one of the tractors out but another is at the seat of the fire. The whole thing, bales and all are burning and we have 4 fire engines on the scene. They've just run out of water so have sent for more appliances.

The roof is slowly collapsing and we're just hoping that it doesn't spread to our summerhouse. I was going to try and empty it but I don't think it's safe to be so close. It's quite a breezy day today which isn't helping matters.

I've been worrying about our four cats who like to spend their days dozing in barn. Thankfully one of them has just sauntered in so I hope the others are all safe. They've hopefully gone to ground because of all the activity.

Blimey... what a morning. The health visitor had to bring her dog into the house because we were worried about the safety of our vehicles. She's just managed to leave whilst they're waiting for the next load of engines to arrive.

I'll be glad when all cats are accounted for :pray:

I'll try and take a couple from the garden but another section of roof has collapsed so will have to proceed with caution!

I might be better getting one of the aftermath as they're still pumping water into it. There's more smoke now than anything- thankfully blowing uphill and away from us. We've just had a heavy shower too which must have helped but it's been burning for the past 3 hours.

Still no sign of our other cats as yet :(

:shock: Hope you and kitties are safe and well. I have experience of watching out of control fires and its not nice. Stay safe and be prepared in the unlikely event you need to move fast which can happen in windy conditions although its sounds like you will be OK :D . Family, animals, photos, passports, important docs, money, overnight case, go.

Thanks Daphne.

Just been chatting to a fireman in the garden who said that there are bags of fertiliser in the barn that have formed a big crust so they're hoping to be able to get in and spread it around a bit soon. He was just checking access from our side in case they need to get in from another angle. There are another six tenders now but water is the main problem.

There is a block wall at the base of the barn which is hopefully going to shield us from any fanning flames. Here's hoping anyway.

The joys of living out in the sticks!

Grrrr! I need a rant! Why, why, why do people insist on bringing children into clinical rooms? One of my patients today arrived with two adults and a two year old. They could easily have stayed in the waiting area with the kid (we even have a lovely plastic Wendy house to play in) but no they all had to troop in to my tiny room and let this kid run riot! She was climbing on the furniture, running into the other (empty) room, playing with the broom and looking at what I was doing so close she nearly got a haircut (I'm a Podiatrist). The family said nothing the entire time but would be the first to complain if she had hurt herself! And if you ask them to leave the kid outside they go nuts! :evil:

Rant over

Groovychook I hope your cats are ok

jelly bean - I feel your pain - as a PN I often have a whole family trapesing in - I normally ask a few to wait outside. Its not an outing to the seaside.

DM - i suspect your dogwalker's been a bad lad in the past - either that or wifes paranoid. Grooychook hope you and all the kitties are ok now.

Thank you all.

Three cats accounted for now- just one still missing but she's a timid little thing so hopefully just keeping a low profile... fingers crossed.

What a day. We've had 16 fire engines and two water tankers ferrying water from the main reservoir in town (four miles away). Also a catering truck :shock: and ambulances. Thankfully no one was hurt. There are still seven engines here and I suppose that they'll stay for a good while longer to dampen everything down. They had to bring a hose through our garden to get to the seat of the fire as the fertiliser was stored against the barn wall.

I'm just so thankful that the wind was kind to us. It was blustery and If it had been coming from the other direction it would have leapt to our cottage in an instant. We are only about 30 feet from the barn and the garage is even closer. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I'll try and get some photo's tomorrow. The base of the barn was a block wall of about 7ft high and as we're on the lower side of a slope, I can only see the charred timbers above and the skeleton of the roof from our side.

I've got a cracking headache now!

Glad your cats all turned up safely. The air must smell strange today.

It's no good I don't think I'm a fan of the 'bearded lady' look. (Eurovision) I wasn't aware of it until the following morning and it did make me jump a bit. It put me in mind of the LOTR film when Gimli is talking about dwarven ladies to Eowyn. I'm not going to try it until I'm at least 98 but then it might be a bit wispy.

I volunteer for Contact the Elderly, a charity which takes lonely elderly people out to tea once a month. We had a tea party on Sunday, and I asked if anyone had watched the Eurovision Song Contest. One elderly gent replied that he didn't think much of the woman who won. He was absolutely astounded to learn that 'she' was a man!

I must admit I am a bit 'puzzled' by the winner of the eurovision contest so goodness only knows what the elderly think about it :? I really think it was the beard! I suppose I thought most men who like to wear women's clothing want to look pretty and feminine and I don't really think a beard does that no matter how neatly trimmed! I think I am quite open minded and thought Greyson Perry looked lovely when getting an award at the Palace a while back.....so it must be the beard. Or is there something I am missing here :?

The presence of the beard was to firmly ascertain that she was once a he, otherwise it would have been unnoticed and therefore unremarkable. The aim was to try and get the gay/ transgender vote and it worked. I didn't think it was the best song out the lot but she did have an impressive voice.

Her voice was really good, but it wasn't the best song. I loved the one that came second place, and I don't really like country style music. Just reminded me of some things played on 6Music, which I listen to all the time. That said, I am glad she won.

Just phoned for a well overdue eye test :oops: and they have a cancellation today! Perfect! That never happens. I am sure I will get soaked on the way there, just to equal things up :roll: