patsylabrador

summer clothes

Was shopping in my local Waitrose this morning, which is a funny mix of people from Harrow school to local ne'er do wells. (OH recognises them from his previous job - the ne'er do wells that is, not the people from harrow school)

It was only about 10am and a woman sauntered in wearing a floor length see through red dress and lacy black knickers. I think she was either doing the walk of shame although her make up was pretty immaculate for that or simply doesn't know how to dress to go shopping.

Attention seeking I guess but a supermarket seems an odd place for that. Sunny weather does odd things to people living in Britain it's true. I tried to point her out to OH, I thought he'd enjoy the show, but he wasn't wearing his glasses and only noticed the red dress was 'stupidly long'.

Don't get me started on inappropriate shopping garb :roll: Our local supermarket has had to enforce a dress code as you see local slatterns shopping in PJs and slippers with their various toddlers in just a nappy :shock: Men without shirts, women in bikini and a sarong (we're about as far as you can get from the coast)

The list is endless..........

I don't see why people find it so difficult to wear appropriate clothing?! Wasn't It Vivienne Westwood who said in the fairly recent past that Britain has never dressed so badly - certainly I see people on a daily basis who either don't possess a mirror or don't care that they look so terrible!

I love it when you get the first summer day of the year,you get people in coats,old ladies in head scarves and people in strappy tops and shorts or dresses, such a range. :shock:

I went for no coat or cardi and shoes with footsies not trainers with socks :lol: even had sandals on this evening. :shock:

I don't see why people find it so difficult to wear appropriate clothing?! Wasn't It Vivienne Westwood who said in the fairly recent past that Britain has never dressed so badly - certainly I see people on a daily basis who either don't possess a mirror or don't care that they look so terrible!

Is that the Vivienne Westwood who turned up at Buckingham Palace without any knickers, then demonstrated it to the press? :lol:

Oh dear, does going to the shops in whatever you have been wearing in the garden count as poor form? I quite often pop out in my gardening gear....scruffy jeans and a fleece, old crocs and bits of hen poo! :lol:

Not at all :wink:

I have seen all sorts from my prime idiot viewing location behind the checkout, believe me!

We had a man in wearing a white morph suit once, & those things leave NOTHING to the imagination :shock:

Because this town is quite dressy, we do get a lot of people dressed up in their glad rags & I have seen some real shockers. Knickers on display, nipples too, orange tans, Sharpie eyebrows & skys"Ooops, word censored!"er transparent perspex stripper heels.

They can make the old chaps in their Leander pinks look quite tame!

Edited by Guest

I saw a larger lady yesterday (don't get me wrong, I'm no skinny Minnie) maybe a size 20ish in a maxi tube dress, that was stretched so tight I could see her appendix! I would estimate the dress was a size 14......it was almost transparent it was so tight...

Also I got propositioned by at 19 year old at work!!!! I have knickers older than that.....what the hell is that all about.....he is clearly unwell!!!!!

I got my 'summer' wardrobe out of the loft, and was dismayed to find that what I recalled as a collection of cool, comfortable-yet-smart linen and cotton items is actually a lot of tired and wrinkled clothing (a bit like its owner, then! :lol: ). So I do sort of understand why, as soon as the sun comes out, people rush to the cupboard and get out that strappy top, shorts or strapless maxi-dress that they loved last year without realising that they've changed shape since then.

We are forecast a mini-heat wave in the South East this weekend. I guarantee that on Monday there will be women on the train with bright red shoulders and arms because they spent the day outside with no sunscreen. That worries me.

Does anyone else have girls with curlers in their hair in the supermarket on Saturday evening? What is that about?

I live in a town that has two kinds of people:

- New money big shots with their kids still in their field hockey gear, complaining that their Mercedes S-class had to be serviced again.

- absolute white trash, complete with mullet (also on the 2 year old kids) earrings and shiny track suits.

Oh wait.... And me!

But it makes for interesting shopping.

Does anyone else have girls with curlers in their hair in the supermarket on Saturday evening? What is that about?

Not seen that one yet, but the sunburn is terrible - I have seen people with actual weals & blisters from spending the day by or on the river, with no sunscreen :roll:

Last year a woman came in totally swollen up from sunburn too.

The best summer clothes are the ones the rowers wear - namely little tiny Lycra things. Had the Olympic rower Will Satch at my till wearing very little the other day & he was divine, with a gorgeous head of coppery hair & a chest like Adonis :drool:

Cinnamon - I was in Wallingford last Saturday and stared so hard a couple of rowers, adonis types in their lycra shorts and broad shoulders, that I fell down the kerb :oops::shock::lol: When I had to own up to OH as to why I was limping he sucked his stomach in and said it was my own fault and he had no sympathy. :whistle:

I have to admit, though, to often looking at people and thinking 'have you no mirror at home' or 'what made you think that was a good idea when you got dressed this morning'? Don't get me wrong; I am no clothes horse but I do try to put a few minutes thought into the day's outfit - there are parts of me I would not inflict on anyone!!! :wink:

I think there is a world of difference between wearing something that does not suit you (gardening clothes, clashing colours, unflattering fit etc) to wearing something unsuitable (too revealing, night wear etc).

One makes you look like a car crash while the other causes cars to crash.

I am very guilty of wearing gardening clothes to DIY store or corner shop I often walk to the bin in my dressing gown (utterly non-revealing). I found as my waistline grew I stopped caring what I looked like. I do tend to at least wear clean top and jeans when shopping though.

Ugh! Fred. That kit is horrible to wear on a hot and sunny day.

I remember trudging around with a stupid WPC's hat literally stuck to my head and a horrible heavy skirt with tights and heavy black shoes. At least I didn't have the stab vest back then.

YS wants to have kit like Australian police on very hot days!

ES got quite skinny when he was in Afghanistan because of the kit they had to wear in that heat, they sweated so much.

Uniform is rubbish to wear on a hot day.

The flip side for me was that I was in the police so long ago that in the winter the girls were issued lovely capes to wear.

Ahhh, mystery solved, Fred! I read your post and thought that a stab vest was some kind of fashion thing

:lol:

I can imagine, those stab vests weigh a ton!

Add in the several trees worth of paperwork I have to carry around too!

I feel for you Fred, that must be horrible with your eczema, no wonder it has been giving you trouble.

I can keep my hands and arms uncovered, that is where my eczema is the worst (I have some on my face too). I'll speak to occupational health and see if I can go without wearing the headgear.

I must confess, that I generally shop (in Waitrose) after my yoga class (I live quite a distance from the nearest town and it saves time/fuel) and I do wear yoga tights, trainers etc. I do make sure that my bum is covered by a long top though (and my yoga tights are totally opaque unlike many you see these days ).

Sorry all.

I was in Morrsions this am and a woman flounced in - in a hideous maxi dress with loads of frills. It was like one of those horrible bridesmaids dresses we all get to wear at least once. I love maxi dresses in the evening but consider them a liability for mucking out chucks or cooking dinner. She was wearing black brogues too. :think: